Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding at 6 weeks

(33 Posts)
Mands74 Sun 17-Sep-17 15:42:22

Hi,
I found out this week that I was pregnant after being told that ivf wouldn't even help me! Slight miracle!
I started really lightly bleeding last night at 6, pink when I wiped.... it's been the same up until now 20 hours later with light cramps....
I did a test this morning and it said positive for pregnancy still,
I'm terrified, can anyone offer advice?

Julesbegone Sun 17-Sep-17 15:47:37

I had a bleed at 6 weeks too: I called the GP who referred me to the Early Pregnancy Unit. The bleeding stopped about 24 hours after it started and the following week they scanned me and everything was fine.

I know it's not helpful but it seems that an early bleed can either be absolutely nothing to worry about, such as in my case, or it can be the beginning of a miscarriage.

I'd suggest letting your doctor know in the morning and I'm sure he'll want to either see you or refer you to EPU. In the meantime, rest, look after yourself and try not to dwell on the negative: it could literally be nothing to be alarmed about. My midwife has since said that a bleed around that time is so common because the foetus is burying itself deeper into the lining of the womb.

Julesbegone Sun 17-Sep-17 15:48:36

I should also mention: pregnancy tests always say 'positive' for a while after you've had a miscarriage because it takes a while for the hormone levels in your body to decrease.

Mands74 Sun 17-Sep-17 16:31:00

Thanks, such a helpless feeling.

Julesbegone Sun 17-Sep-17 16:42:28

I remember it being an absolutely awful week. Looking back, I wish I'd not bothered with the GP/ EPU because ultimately, there's nothing they can do in the event of such an early miscarriage.

Make sure you take it easy today won't you?

katiegd Sun 17-Sep-17 16:43:59

Hi, I know it's really scary when it happens and you feel helpless, but it doesn't have to mean anything bad. Lots of women apparently have spotting or even bleeding in pregnancy and go on to have healthy babies.

However, it is always worth getting it checked by a medical professional. Can you call your GP first thing tomorrow? If it gets worse or you're really worrying today, you could also try 111 for advice.

I had some spotting at around 5/6 weeks and was sent for a scan. It turned out to be fine - saw a little blob with a heartbeat measuring the right length for the dates. (I am now 8 weeks and having some more spotting and trying not to drive myself crazy with anxiety about it, as I know it most likely means nothing again - I'll speak to GP tomorrow tho.)

Try not to get too terrified as it really could be fine and nothing to worry about. I know it's super scary though. Let us know how you get on.

MrsMac1397 Sun 17-Sep-17 16:52:52

Hi, just wanted to share my positive experience- I had spotting at 5 weeks then again at 7 weeks and I had an early scan which showed an 8 weeks little blob with a beating heart...she's now almost 3, perfectly healthy and one of the best things in my life (her little sister is the other best thing in my life). I remember feeling very helpless and flipping between worst case scenario and best case scenario. Just try to rest and see how things go, you can contact your gp or early pregnancy unit and see what they say. Fingers crossed it's all ok. X

Mands74 Sun 17-Sep-17 16:55:18

Thank you, I have hardly moved all day, scared to!!
I thought about a&e but like you say there is nothing they can do:-(
It doesn't appear to be like a period, just fresh blood so praying it's all still ok, the cramps are a worry... trying to keep positive, I had the happiest 5 days this week when I found out:-(

Julesbegone Sun 17-Sep-17 17:17:20

You could always call 111 if you would really like some reassurance today? When I had my bleed, I called them first and they said I should go to my GP but it was mid-week so they may have a contingency plan for weekends?

1stTimeRounder Sun 17-Sep-17 17:31:23

It could be implantation bleeding... I had this at 6 weeks on my 4th pregnancy and was terrified as my first 3 ended in miscarriage at around 7 weeks each time. I was feeling rubbish and had a pain in my side too so we went to a&e to get it checked as light pink bleeding plus pain can also be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy which if not caught can be very serious.

A&e took bloods and did an ultrasound and were able to confirm it was not an ectopic pregnancy and they could see the small blob was in utero. We had a follow up scan at the recurrent miscarriage clinic where we'd been seen previously and they confirmed all was well and measuring right for dates. Baby is now 14 weeks old smile

If the pain gets worse or bleeding gets heavier you could go to a&e, otherwise get a referall to the epu asap.

Good luck flowers

Mands74 Sun 17-Sep-17 17:32:53

Thank you,
I have just called 111 and am waiting for dr to call me back.
X

AnUtterIdiot Sun 17-Sep-17 18:27:41

Hi OP. Lots of women do have bleeding during pregnancy but it is always horrible when it happens and I know that powerless feeling. Rest assured that whatever the reason for it is, it's nothing you've "done wrong".

The only advice I would add to what's been said is this: unless you're bleeding so heavily that your health is in danger (e.g. filling a pad an hour or feeling shivery/sick/feverish/faint), don't go to A&E if they don't have anyone who can give you a scan. Last year I went to A&E, waited for about two hours and was then told that they couldn't scan me because they didn't have any sonographers or consultants who could scan in that weekend. It's too early for them to listen for a heartbeat using a doppler machine or stethoscope and whilst they can take bloods they won't get the results immediately. If, worst case scenario, it is a miscarriage, they won't be able to stop it either. I really wished I'd stayed comfortably at home and just got myself referred to the Early Pregnancy Unit. So if you do go to A&E, ask as soon as you get there if they can give you a scan so that you know what they can and can't do.

flowers good luck, OP, I hope everything is OK and you find out what's going on soon.

Anatidae Sun 17-Sep-17 18:34:44

Ah you poor thing. First trimester bleeds are actually quite common. So it's not necessarily the worst outcome. If it's light then it may be ok.

Agree with the op above who says to stay home (with the exceptions below) there is nothing you can do really and at six weeks they are not guaranteed to see a heartbeat.

Rest, take it as easy as you can. If you get strong pains, feel faint or dizzy, have fever, or one sided pain then you need to be seen quickly to rule out ectopic pregnancy. If you're at all worried about that don't hesitate to seek help. Also if the bleeding intensifies to the point you're soaking through a pad in an hour or so - that needs attention immediately.

My bleeding unfortunately did end in mc- it started light, and carried on for a couple of weeks, then got very heavy and cramps etc.

My sympathies, it's awful having no control. I truly hope it works out for you flowers

Howaboutanotherusername Sun 17-Sep-17 20:33:17

I had bleeding at around 6weeks carried on, on and off for a week had a scan all was fine and another reassurance scan at 10weeks my little boy is now 12weeks old so it's not always bad news

heavy bleeding resulting in saturated pads, clots and really bad cramps are when you need to worry

i know it's hard i've been there but try not to worry and think positively but prepared that they might not do anything straight away

thinking of you xx

ScarletSienna Sun 17-Sep-17 20:35:27

Re the cramps, I got cramps around 6 weeks and they were really worrying but it seems many people do get them. Hope you get some good news.

Loosemoose28 Sun 17-Sep-17 20:43:30

I am still getting on off on-wiping bleeds. Baby seems fine though. Im 9+3 weeks. Some people are "bleedy". I also have an ectropian on my cervix which it could be coming from as well.

Mands74 Sun 17-Sep-17 22:24:22

Thanks for all your kind messages and advice.
Just home from hospital and have to go back tomorrow for scan.
Bloods still say pregnant but I imagine they would anyway....longest day of my life:-(

katiegd Mon 18-Sep-17 16:50:33

How did it go today OP?

Mands74 Mon 18-Sep-17 17:04:40

Frustrating!
Just back from hospital, had a scan and internal and dr said could not see pregnancy.
Said maybe not as far gone as I thought and doesn't always show this early.
I have to go back tomorrow at 4 and do bloods again, they compare that to Sunday nights bloods which were about 250 of the hormone they should be...and go from there....
Bleeding still the same, maybe a little lighter.
So confusing, surely I would know if I had had miscarriage...
The wait continues.... back on the sofa:-(
X

Julesbegone Mon 18-Sep-17 17:29:56

Oh...how frustrating! When I had all this done in March, they said that a foetus wouldn't be visible until your hcg levels were over 1500. As it happened, at 6 weeks 5 days, mine were 15 thousand so they scanned me the following week and could see a tiny blob with a heart rate.

Fingers crossed your numbers are up tomorrow!

Mands74 Mon 18-Sep-17 17:41:24

Fingers crossed🙏🏻

Howaboutanotherusername Mon 18-Sep-17 21:41:23

🤞

katiegd Tue 19-Sep-17 12:47:54

Sorry to hear you've had more waiting. I hope you get some answers this afternoon flowers.

Mands74 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:02:36

Thank you for you kind thoughts.
I have to give blood at 4pm and they will compare that with bloods I gave Sunday night.will find out tomorrow.
I think the fact that they couldn't see anything yesterday means I'm no longer pregnant, the wait is excruciating:-(
X

Julesbegone Tue 19-Sep-17 17:25:49

@Mands74 any news?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now