Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pregnancy and rheumatoid arthritis

(7 Posts)
cakesandphotos Fri 01-Sep-17 15:54:53

Not sure how likely this is to get a response but I was wondering if there's anyone around who has been/is pregnant while suffering from RA? My rheumy always told me that my RA won't affect my pregnancy and vice vers but having seen the women's health consultant, I'm high risk with a chance of blood clots, a pre term labour and a small birth weight.
Has anyone experienced this? It's not at all what I was expecting and although I've been assured my baby is fine, I'm a little anxious going forward!

Iamchanging Fri 01-Sep-17 16:09:56

Hi Cake
My mum has RA when pregnant with me and everything was totally normal apart from I was 12 days late and over 10 pounds!! So definitely not low birth weight!! She actually went into remission and felt so much better during pregnancy apparently. All the best!

MyLittleHelper Fri 01-Sep-17 16:26:50

Have had good 3 pregnancies with Psoriatic arthritis. Normal sized healthy babies and only a flare post 3rd pregnancy. Are you on a medication they are concerned about?

cakesandphotos Sat 02-Sep-17 07:39:28

I stopped taking medication when I found out I was pregnant but I've had a bad flare up so been advised to go back on. It's the medication that would cause the growth problems. I was hoping to go into remission but 16 weeks in, it only seems to be getting worse

MyLittleHelper Sat 02-Sep-17 20:51:23

Can you discuss alternative medications with your consultant?
Some are considered safe during pregnancy. Wendy Jones with the breastfeeding network is a great source of information.

cakesandphotos Sun 03-Sep-17 14:11:58

I have an appointment to see my consultant but seemingly what I'm on is the most effective and safest for baby, although with pre term labour and low birth weight it, I'm not convinced it's entirely safe! I guess the problem is there just isn't enough information out there for pregnancy

teazle Wed 18-Oct-17 22:26:29

Hi - I'm a bit late to this thread (!) but yes, I have RA and have had three straightforward pregnancies. Came off meds beforehand and whilst breastfeeding, re-started meds when finished breastfeeding. No adverse effects on pregnancy and no joint pain either. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: