Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Wine tasting when pregnant

(19 Posts)
MadameT Sun 20-Aug-17 17:44:43

I'm going to a wine tasting event with a few colleagues before I'm planning on telling work about my pregnancy. There's no way I can get out of it without seeming really rude. My usual trick for social events so far has been to buy G&Ts without the "G" but obviously that won't work here when I'm being handed glasses of wine... I don't drive so can't use that as an excuse. Another colleague used the antibiotics excuse before announcing her pregnancy so that would immediately ring alarm bells. Any ideas??

Oysterbabe Sun 20-Aug-17 17:47:21

Just don't go. Throw a sicky.

Smeaton Sun 20-Aug-17 17:49:11

Aren't you supposed to spit itnout at a wine tasting?

Bubblysqueak Sun 20-Aug-17 17:49:14

I think this is one of the few events you can't take your way through. I think you'll have to pull a sicky and not go.

BertieBotts Sun 20-Aug-17 17:49:37

You're not supposed to swallow the wine I don't think in wine tasting? So should be doable.

Or just feign a migraine/tummy bug?

thingymaboob Sun 20-Aug-17 17:52:41

Just say you've decided to give up drinking for health reasons. End of explanation.

Topsyloulou Sun 20-Aug-17 17:53:29

I think you're going to have to duck out of this one. It's unusual in a wine tasting to spit the wine out, it normally gets swallowed & frequently it's more than one sip too. If your colleagues are anything like mine they'll be polishing off the whole glass & asking for a top up!

There is no way I could have gone to a wine tasting in the first trimester, the smell alone would have made me nauseous.

MadameT Sun 20-Aug-17 18:02:05

That's exactly what they'll be like Topsy - and exactly what I'm normally like! It's so much harder hiding the no drinking thing when you are known for your love of wine 😳

I think you, Bubbly and Oyster are right and I'll have to duck out. It won't go down well but will all makes sense in a few weeks when (all being well with my scan 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼) I'll have some exciting news to share with them.

SheSaidHeSaid Sun 20-Aug-17 18:53:40

Ducking out will prob be the best thing.

I thought I was clever in terms of hiding my not drinking but I was rumbled almost immediately because I'm known to love a few drinks.

Lillygreen Mon 21-Aug-17 09:11:35

I had the same last weekend. I had to not attend my friends birthday party as it would have been too obvious I was pregnant. (It was described as a boozy birthday party)

As it's wine tasting, and generally people don't drink enough to get completely wasted, you could take tiny sips, with the excuse you already have a hangover from the night before? (Sorry not the best suggestion, but I can't think of anything else!)

MarmaladeAtkinsX Mon 21-Aug-17 09:27:14

If it's a proper wine tasting there will be lots of swirling of wine and smelling - and you only take a sip. And lots of water to cleanse your pallet.

Surely 5 sips would be OK throughout the evening? If you monitor your intake and pace yourself should be fine.

lissie80 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:47:40

Hi i wouldnt pretend to drink alcohol, as it might backfire when people find out your pregnant. They might judge and critisize you for drinking alcohol whilst pregnant

Belindaboom Mon 21-Aug-17 19:50:18

Do you normally drink wine? Can you just say you don't like it?

I did one recently. A sip of each and ditch the rest (there's normally a pot/jar)

Doughnutsandrainbows Mon 21-Aug-17 20:45:33

Is it at a venue? Could you just drive?

Doughnutsandrainbows Mon 21-Aug-17 20:47:09

... should have added and go for the social side but that would mean you couldn't drink. Not sure if would be be appropriate to swirl and spit out.

PotteringAlong Mon 21-Aug-17 20:48:49

Just tell them. if you're going to come across as really rude then just tell them.

SunshineOutdoors Mon 21-Aug-17 20:50:13

Could you tell one trusted colleague on the sly so they could back you up with a 'too ill to make it' story?

MadameT Thu 24-Aug-17 05:13:21

In the end I just told my colleagues that I'd been to the doctors about my insomnia who advised my to cut out caffeine and alcohol (all true) - not sure if they were suspicious but no-one said anything!

Belindaboom Sun 27-Aug-17 19:42:09

Glad it worked out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now