Talk

Advanced search

12 week scan - is there a nasal bone?

(13 Posts)
Moanyoldcow Fri 18-Aug-17 15:12:40

Hello. I'm not sure anyone can help but I had my scan and blood tests but I'm quite anxious this pregnancy since I'm 39 and not super healthy.

The NT was 1.5mm which I know is good but it doesn't say if the nasal bone can be seen. Scan report says the view was 'technically difficult' but head and skull looked normal. Would the sonographer have said if the nasal bone wasn't visible?

I'm just worried about time running out for further tests as I'm already 13 weeks, I could be over 16 weeks before I get a chance for diagnostic testing which feels quite late.

Thanks in advance.

Smurfsrock Fri 18-Aug-17 17:28:11

Did you get an overall risk assessment from your combined bloods and scan result? Presence/absence of nasal bone is only a soft marker so less reliable than your overall risk. Have you got a scan pic? You can probably see it on that.

Moanyoldcow Fri 18-Aug-17 18:19:32

Thank you for replying - this is the pic but it's not great quality. I'm waiting for the blood results.

onemoremummy Fri 18-Aug-17 21:09:27

You can kind of see the nasal bone there, it's not very clear in that picture but you know that unless the sonographer was specifically taking a shot of the nasal bone it might not be very clear.

My daughter's scan photo was similar and I obsessed over it for weeks, I even called the hospital to ask if they could see a nasal bone in the photos because I was so worried, the midwife said she couldn't see one and even showed the "head" midwife my scan photos and she couldn't see the nasal bone either, but reiterated that it's not a reliable market which is why they don't check for it. I panicked and they offer to re-scan me at 17 weeks, and when I went for that scan the sonographer confirmed that there was a nasal bone and also that he could see one in the scan photos from the 12 week scan!

Moanyoldcow Fri 18-Aug-17 23:08:26

Thank you for replying. There's always something to worry about - I'm so anxious this time but I'll try to chill out a bit.

onemoremummy Sat 19-Aug-17 08:17:33

I do actually think you can see the nasal bone in the photo you sent, just not in the best angle. NT1.5mm is excellent and on the low side, hopefully you'll get your combined results soon and will be able to put these worries behind you.

NovaArt3mis Sat 19-Aug-17 08:23:52

My scan photo is very Voldemort (noseless for the non-Harry Potter fan) and I got myself quite worked up about it. About 10 days later I got really good screening odds so I've just forgotten all about it. Next scan is two weeks away.

Your photo has more of what looks like a nasal bone than mine does. I would try not to worry about it (easier said than done I know)

Moanyoldcow Sat 19-Aug-17 10:57:42

Thanks again all - I feel quite reassured. Hopefully bloods will be low risk and I can move on to the next thing to worry about!

Mrscropley Sat 19-Aug-17 11:01:03

When my aunt had her scan all was declared well.
She came to our house and decided she hadn't seen 2 arms - Cue du (dear uncle) driving back to beg a rescan!!
Pregnancy is a true test of our mh. . .
Congratulations all is well for you!!

3boys3dogshelp Sat 19-Aug-17 11:06:35

I can see a nasal bone OP. My experience of pregnancy has been that the medical staff are overcautious if anything. If they had been concerned I'm sure they would have said so and arranged a rescan.
The scan might have been technically difficult if the baby didn't keep still or if you are overweight (I am too it's not a criticism, just a fact - US doesn't penetrate fat as well so the picture isn't as clear).

Moanyoldcow Sat 19-Aug-17 12:59:31

Thanks you.

3boys - I am deffo overweight! I suspect it will be better in a few months when baby is bigger. My HCPs have been very nice about my weight - essentially at my age I don't have the time to lose lots of weight before ttc and I luckily got pregnant very quickly but I am being much healthier this pregnancy.

Gingernaut Sat 19-Aug-17 13:12:35

I can see a little 'button' where the nose should be. Not sure if that's a nasal bone, though. No help at all. Sorry. blush

3boys3dogshelp Sat 19-Aug-17 16:04:03

Best of luck with your pregnancy moany

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now