Talk

Advanced search

Kids age gaps.

(41 Posts)
chowmeinchick Fri 18-Aug-17 10:54:29

I know this question has probably been asked a million times before on here but I was just wandering how close together, in age, your kids were?

I've only just had a baby so not thinking of having any more yet but was just interested.

Cyclebird Fri 18-Aug-17 10:56:46

20 months here. Was told to leave it a year after having DC1 (emergency CS) before trying again - almost made it blush

mrsnec Fri 18-Aug-17 10:56:59

15 months here. Didn't plan on such a small gap and its been difficult at times but it does have advantages.

mrsnec Fri 18-Aug-17 10:58:22

My first was an emcs too and I was told it eas too soon to be pregnant again.

HeyMicky Fri 18-Aug-17 11:02:11

2.7. It worked for us - DD1 was potty trained, could get in and out the car herself, settled at nursery, no dramas with eating or sleeping, could entertain herself for a bit, could be reasoned with a bit, could wait for things if required.

They get on brilliantly now at 2.3 and nearly 5, and have all along. It may not last but my brother and I were a similar gap and we were always close and played nicely, so fingers crossed

MiaowTheCat Fri 18-Aug-17 11:03:45

11 months (almost 10). That thing about waiting for buses springs to mind - 6 years for DD1... one night for DD2. Gap's narrowed as my pregnancies don't go to full term so you can easily take a month or two off pregnancy time.

They are fantastically close now as infant school age kids.

Brighteyes27 Fri 18-Aug-17 11:08:13

13.5 months. The first 16 months were madness but 16 months until the eldest started Secondary were a breeze. So easy as they both had the interchangeable friends and likes DD the same things at the same time (cinema/films, stories at home, soft play, various other activities etc etc)

YorkieDorkie Fri 18-Aug-17 11:08:56

Currently pregnant with DC2, there will be around 2 years 2 months between them. I think I thought there would be a bigger gap. Clearly maths isn't my strong point!

BillBrysonsBeard Fri 18-Aug-17 11:09:45

3 years and it's ace. Older DS is talking, needs no equipment, walks everywhere, gets his free nursery hours, follows instructions. Makes it much easier to handle the baby!

Afreshstartplease Fri 18-Aug-17 11:10:05

DC1+2 = 16 months

DC2+3 = 3 year 10 months

DC3+4 = 3 year 6 months

TBH I preferred the small gap

chowmeinchick Fri 18-Aug-17 11:12:46

It's interesting to see the different size gaps. I've been thinking a smaller gap would be better to get it out of the way, but oh definitely isn't ready ye and wants to wait a while. There's obviously pros to both tho.

fishfingerSarnies Fri 18-Aug-17 11:13:19

2.5 years between my two and they are big mate, play together beautifully (5 and 2.5) but I'm sure that's just luck rather than good age gap management. I always wanted two really close together but as I'm sitting here hugging my sick bucket at 22 weeks with baby number three I'm glad there's a big enough age gap that my current two are pretty much entertaining themselves!

WiganPierre Fri 18-Aug-17 11:20:54

4 years. It is recommended to have a gap of 2 years before giving birth again so your body is fully recovered from the previous labour. From what I've read, I think a 4-5 year age gap is ideal. With mine there is no jealousy, older one is helpful, potty trained etc. and has had a few years of one-to-one attention, which I felt was important.

2014newme Fri 18-Aug-17 11:21:25

One minute (twins)

Oysterbabe Fri 18-Aug-17 11:46:05

DS is due 2 weeks before DD turns 2.
We are getting on a bit so knew we'd have to have our second pretty swiftly. We worked everything out and this is the smallest age gap we can afford.

Oldschool41 Fri 18-Aug-17 11:54:07

21 years difference between my youngest and my new little bundle due in December 😀

mrsmootoo Fri 18-Aug-17 12:02:09

DD1 was nearly 3 when DD2 was born. Rather a shock for DD1, but they are teenagers now and get on pretty well. DD1 was an elective Caesarean (breech) so we were told to wait 2 years. DD2 was emergency Caesarean. We wanted a 3rd (had to be Caesarean), but ended up having a long gap. DDs were 8 and 5 when DS was born and the gap is great. No jealousy and they look after him. Made some family holidays tricky - what suits everyone - and 5 is harder to accommodate than 4, but of course I wouldn't change it! A whole other thread would be the reason for the bigger gap, during which I had four miscarriages before my underactive thyroid was diagnosed - this is worth checking out if you have the same. 6 months of thyroxine and I was pregnant with DS and had a normal pregnancy.

MrsJayy Fri 18-Aug-17 12:06:20

4yrs 10 months i didn't want baby/toddler combo i wouldn't have managed that it worked fine for us dd was going to School in the August so had time and patience forboth

MrsJayy Fri 18-Aug-17 12:07:39

And we have a winner 21 years shock

MyBreadIsEggy Fri 18-Aug-17 12:12:01

17 months between my two

TheRealCurlySue Fri 18-Aug-17 12:13:04

There is 16 months between my first two and there will be 17 months between DS2 and baby due in December.

SuperBeagle Fri 18-Aug-17 12:13:47

18 months between DC1 and 2.

4 years between DC2 and 3.

20 months between DC3 and 4.

Both age gaps have their pros and cons but, on the whole, I prefer the smaller gap.

xohalaxek Fri 18-Aug-17 12:16:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bumpsadaisie Fri 18-Aug-17 12:17:09

2 years 4 mths. Worked well! They're real playmates now.

catsarenice Fri 18-Aug-17 12:19:55

9 years between my two. It's great in that the eldest is really helpful, can watch DC2 whilst I do dinner etc but I know as they get older it'll be tricky finding activities to cater for both ages. I really don't think I could've coped with a small gap: what do you do with a young toddler when the baby is having massive cluster feeds?? I was lucky as dc1 could make her own dinner etc - not sure what I would've done otherwise!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now