Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Driving and babies, possibly silly Q's

(16 Posts)
owltrousers Wed 12-Jul-17 12:14:31

What happens when you go into labour and neither you or DH are drivers?

What happens when you leave hospital with the baby if you can't drive - I heard they only let you leave with baby in a car seat - but we don't have a car therefore won't be buying a carseat.

Has anyone any experience of learning to drive while pregnant / passing their test before the baby comes?

I'm 13+5 and currently taking lessons, my instructor thinks I can pass by December and baby is due Jan 12th but thats cutting it a bit fine for my liking and I'm worried I might stress myself out with learning to drive / test worries. Considering switching to automatic to try and get passed quicker.

Lules Wed 12-Jul-17 12:19:17

You get a taxi. You'll need a car seat to take your baby home in a taxi so I would get one anyway. I also used one visiting family etc.

gamerpigeon Wed 12-Jul-17 12:26:25

Are you willing to do emergency stop with a baby bump? I was learning when I got pregnant and after I failed first time I waited until I had the baby to restart lessons as I didn't want to risk it.

The examiner absolutely has the right to make you do an emergency stop even if you are heavily pregnant, if you refuse you fail.

OrangeJulius Wed 12-Jul-17 12:50:30

I'm sure you can pass before your baby comes. However I would be wary of being the sole driver when going to the hospital. I personally ended up having an EMCS, there is no way I could have driven home after. You might want to consider a taxi, even if you pass your test, so that your car doesn't end up stuck in the hospital car park.

NerrSnerr Wed 12-Jul-17 13:00:10

I have a friend who passed at 38 weeks. Someone asked about emergency stops- most people I know (including me) drove up to due date and felt we were able to do emergency stops.

How did you want to get the baby home? I'd have struggled on public transport after my c sections but I know others who'd have been fine.

BentleyBelly Wed 12-Jul-17 13:50:05

You can leave the hospital without a car seat as long as you are not planning on getting in a car...how did you intend on getting home?

MagicMoneyTree Wed 12-Jul-17 15:00:22

Could you ask around and see if any friends/family had a spare/unused car seat that you could use solely for the purpose of getting your baby home from hospital and then return to them? We have our newborn car seat stashed away in the loft ready for DC2 and would happily lend it to a friend if asked. I bet loads of people store them ready for the next baby.

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 12-Jul-17 15:09:49

You get a taxi or a lift!

Can you borrow a car seat from a friend just for the journey?

Good luck with learning, it can be done in pregnancy!
I passed at 6 months pregnancy, having started at 8 weeks pregnant. Passed first time too. I'm sure you can do it smile

AreWeThereYet000 Wed 12-Jul-17 15:12:56

I'd get a car seat anyway you can buy quite cheap ones, or a lot of travel systems come with a seat. You'll need one if you get lifts from people/taxis etc x

BubblesBuddy Wed 12-Jul-17 15:18:43

If you are having contractions, you are not safe to drive yourself to hospital anyway! My DSis and her DH do not drive and they got a taxi but it was in a city. Get a friend or parent to help. You don't have much choice. Borrow a car seat. DSis didn't bother. But they try and cram their children into other people's cars all the time without car seats. I won't have them in my car without the required seats but others do, surprisingly. Can your DP learn as well? You may be in the same position again if they don't!

Also automatic cars cost more and the mpg is worse on small automatic cars so think twice about what car you can buy if you can only drive an automatic. Far less choice of smaller cars and hatchbacks.

owltrousers Wed 12-Jul-17 15:20:32

Thanks everyone!

Doh, I hadn't really considered getting home afterwards without a car seat confused we'd be getting picked up or a taxi so we'll definitely need a car seat for that. I think I might end up getting a travel system so we'll have one anyway.

ELFR Wed 12-Jul-17 15:45:49

I'd just try to go for it and try to pass the test. I imagine you'll have more time for lessons before having the baby than afterwards and it might give you more freedom (depending on where you live obviously).

Re emergency stops, they shouldn't be too rough if you know how to do one properly. It's part of driving so if you were pregnant and could drive it's possible you have to make one, what's the other option? Hit some one or something?!

blackcherries Wed 12-Jul-17 15:52:23

Don't just get an automatic licence.
I asked the same thing as I'm the only driver and hospital is 10 mins walk away so wasn't planning on having a car seat (things didn't go to plan in the end so was glad I did have a car seat!)

Agree with asking friends/local facebook group if you can borrow a car seat just for the first few days if you'd rather.

LeSquigh Wed 12-Jul-17 16:25:33

Of course you can get an automatic only licence! I have and have had no problems with finding a car. The price difference was negligible and I get as many mpg as a similar sized manual. Modern automatics do not have the issues that many assume.

EdgeOfGlory266 Wed 12-Jul-17 22:35:13

I started my lessons with DS1 and passed 9 months later at 7 months pregnant. My instructor made me learn emergency stop but only did it a couple of times. My examiner obviously could see I was pregnant and never asked me to do one. I would have been willing to do one. You may have to in RL situations.
I have a manual licence but bloody love automatics. My husband's automatic has better MPG than my manual.
Whilst you may not be able to drive yourself to and from hospital, having your licence is invaluable. Minus husband and babies, it's the best thing I ever did

EdgeOfGlory266 Wed 12-Jul-17 22:39:06

I started my lessons just before getting pregnant**

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now