Talk

Advanced search

Stretch mark oil

(11 Posts)
DaisyChainsForever Sat 08-Jul-17 22:18:52

Am currently 30 wks and don't have any stretch marks (yet!). A friend bought me some stretch mark oil and keeps questioning why I'm not using it.. I've explained I don't have any yet, but I guess she thinks I'm being ungrateful. So my question is, is prevention better than cure? Does it make a difference if you use it before, during or after (or not at all!) ?

leighdinglady Sat 08-Jul-17 22:43:29

You're meant to use bio oil daily from the second trimester to prevent sm. that said, lots of people don't get them. Personally, I'm covering myself in it at 17 weeks just to be sure! I'd rather waste £10 on oil than miss using something that actually did prevent them

rightlittlered Sat 08-Jul-17 22:51:11

I didn't get one single stretch mark until AFTER DD was born. My stomach grew quite slowly in comparison to how quickly it 'emptied'.

Stretch marks are also all down to collagen and elasticity so applying something like bio-oil will help with the elasticity aspect. Some women find that no matter how many expensive or popular products they use, they can't them! X

rightlittlered Sat 08-Jul-17 22:51:59

** can't avoid them!

OsMalleytheCat Sat 08-Jul-17 22:54:58

Stretch marks are hereditary- if you're going to get them you're going to get them no matter what you slather yourself in

snowgirl1 Sat 08-Jul-17 22:56:49

The stretch mark oils don't cure stretch marks...they might help prevent them.

user1499085914 Sat 08-Jul-17 22:58:35

I used bio oil constantly but I'm covered in stretch marks from the top of my arms to the bottom of my legs, mine are bad tho, some people don't even get them x

thingymaboob Sat 08-Jul-17 23:22:17

I have heard that almond oil does the same thing and it's much cheaper than bio oil. I've got a massive tub of it that I'm planning on using

Foggymist Sat 08-Jul-17 23:30:29

Bio oil helps them heal after they've been created, fading them the same way it does to scars. It doesn't prevent them, nothing prevents them. Genetics, collagen, weight, bump size/growth determine them, not moisturising of the outermost layer of skin.

ijustwannadance Sat 08-Jul-17 23:41:39

I had none on my belly until the bump dropped in the last 2 weeks and then only a few tiny ones. My thighs weren't so fortunate. Never used any moisturiser.

DaisyChainsForever Sun 09-Jul-17 17:50:07

Hhmmm, seems like it's different for everyone! Thanks for your input ladies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now