Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Zika...so worried

(13 Posts)
flowerygirl Fri 07-Jul-17 02:38:13

My boyfriend went to Mexico last July and we conceived in December. He is adamant he wasn't bitten but stupidly I started googling and can't stop worrying the baby has been infected with Zika.

Midwives say it's a very small risk but honestly I can't stop thinking about it. 26 weeks now. Has anyone been through this worry?

sparechange Fri 07-Jul-17 02:44:35

There is a blood test he can get done which will show if he was infected, but the advice is to leave 6 months between potential exposure and conception, and you left 5 months, so I wouldn't worry too much

The test is about £150 if you want to set your mind at rest

flowerygirl Fri 07-Jul-17 02:51:36

I actually spoke to my GP about being tested and she said at this stage results could show a false negative or positive, so would be inconclusive either way. I'm booked in for an additional scan at 30 weeks to check measurements. I hate this worry!

lookatthemoon Fri 07-Jul-17 05:29:22

The 6 month rule doesn't apply in all countries. In Australia for example the advice is to wait 8 weeks before ttc after being to a Zika infected country (a lot of Aussies travel to neighbouring countries in SE Asia where Zika is a significant risk).

Try not to worry.

lookatthemoon Fri 07-Jul-17 08:04:33

Sorry, I misread your post - even in Aus, for male partners the advise is not to try to conceive for six months after. But still, you waited 5 months so the risk would be small.

arbrighton Fri 07-Jul-17 08:24:51

I was bitten in Singapore during the holiday where we came home with a stowaway. Said stowaway is asleep on me now, perfectly healthy, 13 days old.

Lots of growth scans- for some reason the blood test isn't the first line of action.

RainbowTortoise Fri 07-Jul-17 12:22:50

We got back from Mexico in December and our baby was concieved in April. I only realised yesterday this could be a potential problem. I'm going to mention this to the midwife and see what she says.

dublingirl48653 Sun 09-Jul-17 23:38:28

due to fly to puerto rico in two weeks

my family there say i have notjing to worry about

i am 14 weeks pregnant

planning on covering up, only staying there for a few days and trying to stay indoors

opinions please

PatriciaHolm Sun 09-Jul-17 23:41:48

Well, the CDC says don't go...

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-puerto-rico

newbian Mon 10-Jul-17 01:00:00

We went to Thailand 3 months before conceiving and DH had also been in Singapore. The doctor said test can't detect Zika more than 6 weeks after suspected infection. But even though it's scary the risk
is very very small. Brazil has 200 million people and 200,000 Zika cases (total not only pregnant women). That's 0.1%.

onemoremummy Tue 11-Jul-17 08:24:36

Please don't ruin your pregnancy by worrying about this. I know many pregnant people in a country where there are many more cases than Mexico, and no one is even remotely worried about it.

I travelled to said country before getting pregnant 5 months later, and spent my pregnancy worried about it. I am now holding my baby (91st centile head circumference- ouch!) and really wish I hadn't worried.

Think of it this way - if your baby were to have a problem due to zika, it would be the first recorded case in the whole world of transmission after 5 months!!!! How unlikely is that??

Helbel82 Tue 11-Jul-17 08:56:16

Yes. We had this worry. We went to Cuba last June and got pregnant pretty much straight after we got back. I spent a lot of my time pregnant worrying about zika, however he twenty week scan showed normal head measurements and we now have a perfect 17 week old dd.
Please try not to worry as you (unlike me blush) left it almost 6 months before you got pregnant.

twinkle1972 Tue 11-Jul-17 08:58:04

Awww I was due to go to Cuba next week but am now 16 weeks pregnant so had to cancel sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now