Talk

Advanced search

high risk downs

(11 Posts)
lexilou86 Wed 05-Jul-17 19:34:19

Hi all.
i have been told i am high risk for downs 1 in 130.. we have paid for private blood test and i get results in 1 week. but now i am seeing that no nasal bone is a strong sign of downs.. i have had a look at my 13 week scan.. and i can see a white line where its nose.. is this the nasal bone?? tia any advice.

leighdinglady Wed 05-Jul-17 19:37:23

I can see a nasal bone

flumpybear Wed 05-Jul-17 19:39:01

One in 130 isn't that high is it? If you had 130 babies only 1would be Downs if you see what I mean?
Perhaps it's different now as my youngest is 5

Wait for your results then make an informed decision - you can have a CV test or amnio don't forget

Good luck star

lexilou86 Wed 05-Jul-17 19:43:59

yeah low risk is 1 in 150 so i was close but i cant not know and i have more risk of miscarriage doing the amnio than i do the baby having downs.. but as theyve told me my PappA is low i need to find out.. just wish my private scan wouodve told me about the nasal bone rather than having to research myself

AnUtterIdiot Thu 06-Jul-17 08:34:43

The 1/130 number means that for every 130 pregnant women with the same results as you in this current pregnancy, 1 of those women will have a baby with Downs. So you'd still have to be really unlucky.

zzzzz Thu 06-Jul-17 08:40:25

Sounds really low risk to me (but I have a child with additional needs so perhaps I am less scared and thus it doesn't loom at me in the same way). Perhaps "seeing the nasal bone" is part of the calculation so has already been taken into account??

greatbigbushybeard Thu 06-Jul-17 19:51:05

Hi, I was in pretty much the same situation as you a few months back but my risk was 1 in 70. My risk factor was due to age & bloods- low Papp a & high hcg. They did lots of extra scans on me to check blood flow from the placenta & they told me baby had nasal bone & heart was strong. We opted for private test & results came back low risk 1 in 10,000- bonkers really to go from high risk to that. We just tried to keep busy & wait for the results. There's nothing else you can do really. And once results are in you'll be able to make a choice. Hopefully all will be fine with you too. It's such a horrible worry xx

m0ezkhan Mon 24-Jul-17 02:59:28

My missus and I are in a similar situation. High hcg, low Papp-A but normal NT from blood test at 12 weeks. 1:138 risk

Currently 15 weeks and had a private ultrasound scan; all organs and bones were normal and even found out the gender!

Partner wants to do NIPT blood test but we live in Malaysia and it's a lot of money.

All this worry over this blood test though? We are going to leave it for a few weeks as going back to UK for summer hols. Maybe fork out for a NIPT like Panorama or Harmony when we get back.

Ceebs85 Mon 24-Jul-17 05:42:24

Sounds low to me.

I had 1 in 7 risk due to low PAPP-A and everything is fine. Baby is due in 2 and a half weeks.

I know it's really difficult but if I were you I would try to avoid reading into things like you are doing as you'll drive yourself mad.

Fingers crossed for the results you want xx

dontpokethebear Mon 24-Jul-17 05:47:17

lexilou86 have you had your results?

lexilou86 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:03:42

sorry i came off mumsnet and forgot my login.. back on.. all clear and 33 weeks now with my lil baby boy .. how are u?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now