Talk

Advanced search

Ovarian cysts and pregnancy

(6 Posts)
anxiouscrazycatlady Mon 03-Jul-17 20:44:33

I had a miscarriage at the beginning of the year and 2 ovarian cysts were picked up during my many scans, 11cm and 4cm. A month or so after I miscarried I had lap surgery to remove them. I'm now pregnant again and have a new 6cm cyst, which a sonographer thinks might be filled with blood. I know I had this cyst before the pregnancy as it appeared on one of my post surgery check up scans. I am now terrified it will cause me to miscarry (even though I was told this wasn't the reason I miscarried before) or that it's going to do something to harm the baby.
Has anyone else experienced this? What happened??

chelle85 Tue 04-Jul-17 08:05:23

I was being investigated for ovarian cysts possibly endometriosis before falling pregnant. At an early scan I had following a bleed I was told I had a 6cm cyst on my right ovary. No one seemed concerned and they haven't botheres checking it since. I'm now 34 weeks and haven't had any issues. Generally ovarian cysts can cause issues getting pregnant as they can block the egg from getting into fallopian tube but as far as I know they don't generally cause miscariage

anxiouscrazycatlady Tue 04-Jul-17 17:10:26

Thanks chelle85 I think I really need to calm down and stop worrying! I've got another scan tomorrow so I'll see what they say then.

chelle85 Tue 04-Jul-17 17:32:10

Good luck with the scan tomorrow. Just try to remember that Ovarian cysts are actually perfectly normal and generally resolve well on their own given time. If it is blood filled then it may be an endometrioma which would not resolve on its own but is unlikely to get bigger during pregnancy because your progesterone levels are much higher and endometriomas are oestrogen fed. If the sonographer is concerned they will keep an eye on it and it is possible to have them removed whilst pregnant without harming the baby. I've known people have melon size cysts that just make your bump look huge but don't affect your pregnancy.

poppylou27 Tue 04-Jul-17 17:41:01

@anxiouscrazycatlady I don't know if it's the same as you but I too have a 7cm cyst on my right ovary. I asked the sonographer about it and he explained that it is called a corpus luteal cyst which is basically from where the egg that ovulated came from and that in actual fact they can be helpful as they act as a'feed' for the baby as he explained it.
After research on it it's does seem they are helpful and in no way cause miscarriage, they resolve on their own and apart from a few cramping feelings that it can cause, there is no harm to baby.
Hope this helps a little xx

anxiouscrazycatlady Tue 04-Jul-17 21:14:33

Thanks chelle85 and poppylou27 fingers crossed it all goes ok at my scan tomorrow and I get a few answers about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now