Talk

Advanced search

Do they measure amniotic fluid on every scan?

(8 Posts)
Cagliostro Sun 02-Jul-17 10:02:18

I'm a bit paranoid. My first baby was induced due to oligohydramnios, made it just about to due date but placenta was calcifying etc. I had absolutely no idea I was lacking fluid, there were no obvious leaks. It felt no different to my second pregnancy where there was absolutely loads of waters.

Hopefully a stupid question but is it checked as routine at scans? It was only picked up with DD because I had a late scan in case the placenta was still low.

Nan0second Sun 02-Jul-17 12:33:04

Yes. Routinely checked at every scan

Nan0second Sun 02-Jul-17 12:33:19

(Not at dating scan)

Poppiesway1 Sun 02-Jul-17 12:39:33

It will be assessed subjectively at the scans before 28weeks. If you have growth scans and it may be measured from 28 weeks onwards

harleysmammy Sun 02-Jul-17 13:45:07

Every scan after 28 weeks routinely. If there is an issue such as leaking fluid for example, they will do it before 28 weeks but not routinely.

Cagliostro Sun 02-Jul-17 13:54:02

That's great thank you. I am 21 weeks today, having a second go at the scan on wed as baby was in an awkward position for half the checks. I will be having 3 growth scans due to second baby being massive at birth!

vfoster Mon 03-Jul-17 11:00:28

Mine was measured at all my growth scans from 28 weeks (I had polyhydrominous in my first pregnancy). It was normal up until the 37 weeks and it's gone above normal again!

beccii161016 Tue 04-Jul-17 01:16:30

If you have scans at 28 weeks plus then yes. I was low risk however and my bump measured normal so I wasn't given any. Came to find out (after labour) that my little boy was 6lb4 and I'd got serious excess fluid which should have been monitored.

If you want to have a scan to have the fluid checked and they're not offered, push for one. Its your baby and you have a perfectly valid reason to want one of those scans. I certainly will be with my next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now