Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why pain relief different for any operation

(7 Posts)
Elkalv Thu 29-Jun-17 00:30:20

Is it just me but I find it strange that no one will offer you tens machine or water pool when you get your appendix removed for example. Why in labor it's normal?

chelle85 Thu 29-Jun-17 00:41:47

Because they are surgical procedures...ypi wouldn't get a caesarean in a water pool or with a tens machine!

toffee1000 Thu 29-Jun-17 00:43:19

Err, you can't exactly be in a water pool when you're getting your appendix removed!! hmm How on Earth would the surgeon be able to operate in a great pool of water???
Most operations involve being opened with a knife. Most pain relief methods used in labour only, ahem, alleviate the pain rather than remove/numb it completely like anaesthetics.

catsofa Thu 29-Jun-17 00:57:32

You can't have any of the really good stuff in labour because most of it can either harm the baby or interfere with labour.

GreenGoblin0 Thu 29-Jun-17 04:47:17

Is it just me but I find it strange

OP..it's just you...

calimommy Thu 29-Jun-17 06:01:53

Labour is something the body is meant to do. Having your appendix removed is not a natural thing for the body to do. There's no way it can happen without artificial intervention. You can't compare surgery with labour.

Sparklyuggs Thu 29-Jun-17 07:24:58

OP it's because childbirth isn't (generally) surgery. If they suspected you would need a c-section then you won't be allowed in the birthing pool at our hospital.

Also a lot of the drugs could pass through the placenta to the baby.

However there's something to the difference in recovery from a c-section to other abdominal surgery, but that's another thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now