Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Choosing an elective c-section

(13 Posts)
user1498640564 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:26:51

Hi everyone.

I have 1 child (6) & 3 miscarriages.

I'm now 41 & very much hoping for another child and I'm considering the best method of delivery and would appreciate your thoughts:

What are the chances of a request for an elective c-section being granted without too much resistance?

I'd very much like to know the experiences of 40+ mothers who had c-sections or chose natural and perhaps wish they hadn't.

Here are some of my main reasons:
- scare with bleeding at 30 wks during 1st successful pregnancy
- problems with slight prolapse down below (concerned about worsening of this adding potential strain on relationship + less bladder control)
- Higher likelihood of external & internal tearing due to age
- Higher likelihood of needing emergency c-section due to some of above - a planned one rules this out.
- I tend to believe it to be safer for the baby & me.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts or experiences.

Thank you! :-) x

ThisBabyIsAnOctopus Wed 28-Jun-17 10:34:03

I really wouldn't worry - you have lots of reasons (age/prolapse) for a medical section. Was your DD born by section?
I had a previous EMCS and due to that, my age, and a no of other factors I've had no problems at all with asking for a ELCS this time round.

Good luck TTC

user1498640564 Wed 28-Jun-17 13:55:30

Thank you Octopus!
That's a relief to know.

My first was a natural birth and although baby was healthy, she initially got in trouble with the cord around her neck.

I also had a not so good experience with the midwives to begin with.
They looked to be teenagers - a trainee and another very young, unnecessarily unkind midwife - I wonder why some midwives choose to take on such a harsh attitude towards women in labor? - I've seen this so often with elderly patients also.

Thankfully, help came when a mature midwife arrived just before delivery who reassured me and spoke kindly - this alone made a huge difference - Fear is quite legitimate when things don't go as expected in such a situation!

DuggeeHugs Wed 28-Jun-17 16:28:22

You've clearly researched the risks and I found that made a difference with my consultant.

How hard it will/won't be will also be down to how pro-VB your Trust and consultant are. But you're likely to stand a good chance if you go in prepared.

Hopefully you won't have to wait long to find out!

AnUtterIdiot Wed 28-Jun-17 18:34:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1498640564 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:00:49

Thanks - good advice and I agree, being prepared seems to make all the difference x

user1498640564 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:02:07

Thanks, Yes that's true I can always subtly use the NICE guidelines as a gentle reminder! x

user1498640564 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:02:53

Oops I replied to the wrong person - one of below messages meant for you - good advice thank you! :-) x

wonderwoo Thu 29-Jun-17 10:15:38

I think you will probably get one. Read the NICE guidelines and show you understand the risks of a c section. That helped me.

When I had mine, I think the rules were that women had a right to choose a couple section without any medical need, but this was 8 years ago now so rules may have changed. The NICE guidelines should confirm if this is true still. And it does depend on your consultant as to how easy it is to get.

user1498640564 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:24:20

Thank you - Yes It seems to make all the difference when armed with the right knowledge x

Ragwort Thu 29-Jun-17 10:25:00

I hope times have changed and that you get the ELCS you request; when I had my DS (16 years ago) - I was 43 and asked for an ELCS - I was told there was no need, I was a 'big, healthy girl' hmm and would be able to give birth just fine; I ended up with an EMCS - personally I was delighted but it would no doubt have saved a lot of money and stress if I had been given the ELCS I originally requested.

I am sure things will be different now.

user1498640564 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:39:28

Haha 'a big healthy girl' - well there's little improvement where sensitivity is concerned - aren't we still being described as 'geriatric mothers over 40! xx

AnUtterIdiot Thu 29-Jun-17 10:50:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: