Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Abdominal Separation/Diastasis recti

(10 Posts)
jessicajaine01 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:52:12

Found out I have this today, FTM so a bit clueless! Will this cause my tummy to 'sag' after birth?

annlee3817 Mon 26-Jun-17 18:27:11

Mine still haven't quite knitted together two years later, it's not saggy as such my belly button just kind of seems to loosely sit there as there is nothing solid behind it. Hard to describe, my gap was 2cm and is now 1cm, I've been a bit lazy with the core exercises tbh. Running has helped though. Bigger gaps can sometimes need physio and really bad ones minor surgery.

jessicajaine01 Mon 26-Jun-17 19:08:31

Ah okay thank you! I'm 21 so kind of gutted and confused how it's happened but will try my best with the physio after!

annlee3817 Mon 26-Jun-17 19:47:11

It can happen to anyone, I'm 35 which is probably why mine is taking longer to knit back together, I'm fairly petite, its more noticeable to me, no one else seems to notice.

jessicajaine01 Mon 26-Jun-17 20:05:17

Oh that's okay then probably thinking into it way too much like im doing with everything atm!

2017Babyontheway Mon 26-Jun-17 22:00:54

How many weeks are you and how did you find out you had it??

mineofuselessinformation Mon 26-Jun-17 22:05:07

Weirdly, I had a four finger gap after dc1, which closed to a one finger gap after dc2. I don't know if this is usual, but it was a lot more liveable-with (?) as my tummy didn't bulge between the bands of muscle any more when I put strain on it.

strawberrypenguin Mon 26-Jun-17 22:27:24

It can do. I had a large one with both pregnancies and had physio after my second. Although my muscles have knitted back together I still have a dip down the centre of my stomach

MadeForThis Mon 26-Jun-17 22:59:41

I had a 2 finger gap. Discovered as my stomach tented when I tried to sit up.

Was advised to roll onto my side to stand and put as little pressure on the muscles as possible. I was very strict about this. Don't let your stomach muscles crunch.

Apparently you need a 3 finger gap before a physio is needed although you will be given exercises to do yourself at home after baby arrives.

It's more common if you have stronger stomach muscles or so I was told.

Mine went back to normal very easily. But I was very careful to look after them while I was pregnant as a close friend requires surgery to repair hers.

jessicajaine01 Tue 27-Jun-17 04:09:44

Im 28 weeks +2, midwife was checking babys heartbeat and when i sat forward she noticed the weird tent shape. Ive had it a while just thought it was normal! They mentioned having physio once baby is here hopefully tht will help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: