Talk

Advanced search

Antenatal Classes

(9 Posts)
tabletopsbs6 Mon 26-Jun-17 10:02:15

Hi all,

I have left it too late to book onto my local NHS antenatal classes. I am pregnant with my first, so I am keen to get some sort of antenatal workshop in place! I have a choice of either an NCT "Essentials" course ( I am away for their "Signature" dates), or a Daisy Birthing antenatal course.

Has anyone got any helpful advice on which one would be best to opt for? I have booked the NHS breast feeding course.

FWIW I'm based in Cardiff.

Thanks in advance!

10storeylovesong Mon 26-Jun-17 11:14:12

I'm doing my first Daisy antenatal class tonight so can feed back if you'd like?

tabletopsbs6 Mon 26-Jun-17 11:47:18

Amazing! Yes please!

Icantthinkofastupidname Mon 26-Jun-17 12:13:49

Do you get the booking info for the NHS courses from the midwife? When do you expect to get the info? Only 9 weeks here so I guess I've got a while to go yet!

tabletopsbs6 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:16:24

Icantthinkofastupidname - I was given a photocopied leaflet by my midwife at my 18 week appt. She didn't go through the options in the appt with me, just gave it to me to take away and sort out. I didn't realise I had it in my possession until the other day, though!

welshweasel Mon 26-Jun-17 16:21:48

I did NCT essentials (no NHS classes here at all). In terms of content I didn't find it particularly useful but I had planned an ELCS and missed the class on how to look after a baby as DS arrived early! However, it gave me an instant social network for mat leave. I literally spent nearly every weekday with my NCT friends and we remain close now, 18 months later. I'd go with whichever one is closest to your house and has the smallest range of due dates!

10storeylovesong Tue 27-Jun-17 08:37:55

I've never been to either NHS or NCT classes but I presume they talk about things such as birth options and feeding etc? The Daisy birthing class was fully concentrated on breathing techniques, yoga positions to help get baby in position and relaxation techniques to help with pregnancy and labour. I'm having a high risk pregnancy so enjoyed it and hoping the techniques will help me, but I'm not sure whether it's what you're looking for.

Also, there were women from many different areas who had travelled so don't think it'll be effective for making friends either.

welshweasel Tue 27-Jun-17 08:48:19

Yeah NCT covers labour, instrumental deliveries, sections, feeding and care of a newborn. All very factual, not the place to go to learn hypnobirthing! Everyone in our group was very open about the fact they'd booked on mainly to make friends.

tabletopsbs6 Tue 27-Jun-17 12:29:23

Thanks for the input, all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now