Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please stop me from spiralling

(15 Posts)
MagnumAddict Tue 20-Jun-17 18:30:03

I'm not usually dramatic so I don't know why my heart is racing but I've just been on the phone to a relative who has advised they have shingles and I've definitely been exposed to them while they have been contagious.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and never had chickenpox (my two sisters had them if that's relevant but I never got them despite being in close proximity)

I'm scared to google, I will of course make an appointment with the midwife- I have to anyway as she called today to say my b12 and folate are low.

Just wondering if a real person could offer any advice right now? I'm close to tears which I think is a bit of an over reaction but I really feel nervous

Wolfiefan Tue 20-Jun-17 18:35:26

Could be you are naturally immune to CP if you've got to your age and never had it. NHS says whilst it is possible to get CP from a person with shingles it's actually very unlikely.
Yes I would chat to MW too. If nothing else to put your mind at rest.

IceCreamIScream Tue 20-Jun-17 18:38:12

Give your midwife a call for reassurance, but I did a quick google and the NHS website said that the chances of catching the virus if you haven't had chickenpox are low - particularly if the rash was covered or not widespread.

I understand the main risk is if you were 28 weeks or less.

I'm sure there will be someone along with proper medical knowledge but do call your midwife- they'll be best placed to advise you.

A very unmumsnetty hug from me.

MagnumAddict Tue 20-Jun-17 18:38:59

Yes you would think I would have caught it by now- mid 30's. I've had lots of exposure I'm sure as I've been around a lot of young people with work.

I just wasn't sure about shingles if that's different? I started to google and say there's an injection you can get but my head started spinning. Honestly I think this heat is partly to blame I feel like I can't think straight. Looking forward to dh getting home from work. Thanks so much for replying

MagnumAddict Tue 20-Jun-17 18:41:40

icecream thanks so much for taking the time to google, you have no idea what that kindness means to me right now! Unmumsnetty hug is also very gratefully received!!

IceCreamIScream Tue 20-Jun-17 18:47:35

Basically you can't catch shingles from shingles but you can get chickenpox from shingles if you've never had it before. It's the same virus.
If you've had lots of exposure to chickenpox and not had it perhaps you do have natural immunity!

MagnumAddict Tue 20-Jun-17 18:59:56

Thanks that makes sense. I think I've always had a worry at the back of my mind that I've never had chickenpox and what that means in pregnancy. Risk of still birth was playing on my mind, I don't even know where I got that from, must have read it somewhere.

I was very calm and understanding on the phone to relative as I think they (wrongly) feel terrible, it was only after I hung up my adrenaline started going. Will try to push it out of my mind and speak to someone tomorrow.

Spam88 Tue 20-Jun-17 19:11:12

I think you can only catch chicken pox from direct contact with the shingles rash?

AnUtterIdiot Tue 20-Jun-17 19:19:54

Did this person have the rash when you saw them, OP? Because if not you will not have caught anything at all.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 20-Jun-17 19:20:49

Even if they did it sounds very unlikely that you would get anything. I'd call the midwife as mine is lovely and sensible (but not dismissive) when I worry about things like this.

MummyGofboys Tue 20-Jun-17 19:23:18

My husband had never had chickenpox until our two little boys had it. Obviously extremely close proximity and long periods of time exposed to it. My sister had shingles round him and it never affected him. Speak to mw but try and not panic xx

MummyGofboys Tue 20-Jun-17 19:27:09

Also shingles isn't actually contagious unless you come into contact with the fluid from the blisters xx

Thingymaboob Tue 20-Jun-17 19:29:29

My mother told me I had never had it and I had the antibodies test as was in contact with a boy with chickenpox and I had the antibodies so you could just ask your midwife to run an IgG antibodies test on your blood to reassure you.

MagnumAddict Tue 20-Jun-17 23:10:58

Thanks all. I've stayed away from Google and will update once I've seen the midwife in case anyone finds themselves in the same boat!

Feeling much better though, really appreciate all the reassurance flowers

MagnumAddict Tue 27-Jun-17 20:46:03

Sorry forgot to update as I was talking about this on the hyperemesis thread.

Turns out I did not have natural immunity which I was really surprised at so the hospital called and I had to go for the varicella vaccine, which incidentally is one of the most painful jags I've ever had!

However, so glad that it's all sorted now. Just wanted to update in case it helps anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now