Talk

Advanced search

No one notices!

(14 Posts)
Kittysparks1 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:20:00

I'm 30 weeks pregnant. Not one single person has noticed!! Ive not had any one rub my belly. Or even give me the curious eyes. It's strange, I hear about people getting fed up with strangers going on about it and touching them but I honestly have never experienced this. I get a train every day and no one has ever offered me a seat. I work with the public and no one has said a thing. I'm very obviously pregnant now, my work colleagues have said I've started to waddle! I'm not overweight and my bump is a typical football under the shirt. I can't actually wait for some random person to ask me if I'm expecting but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm wondering what is worse, everyone noticing or no one noticing? Still 10 weeks to go, will be interesting when/if i get a comment. When did you ladies get your first comment?

Sleepsforpeeps Mon 19-Jun-17 17:37:08

Strange, I'm pg with dc3 & started showing quite early - I was 16 weeks when a parent from school pointed to my bump (under a thick jumper could have very easily been muffin top!) and asked how far along I was. Even under winter jackets I've been getting loads of comments from around 20 weeks. Now 35weeks and today in the hour I was out I had 3 people asking when I was due. I think my bump is normal sized!

A lot of people (myself included) don't comment until they look like they're about to pop though, just incase...

AnUtterIdiot Mon 19-Jun-17 17:38:35

Oh God no. I'm really sorry to disappoint you, OP, but many years ago I asked a woman who had actually given birth 3 weeks before if she was pregnant again already because she still (obviously) had a bit of a bump. She was pretty devastated. I was a twattish 16 year old. But seriously: never, ever will I ask a stranger if they're pregnant or talk about babies with them again. Unless (maybe) they're wearing a Baby On Board badge. And I'd never touch a bump without permission anyway because so many people hate that. Sorry. I'm sure people have noticed though! grin

DrG13 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:43:45

Could it be to do with location? Just wondering if some towns or areas are more friendly/nosy/outspoken than others! I got my first comment at about 16 weeks I think and had my share of bump rubbing and strangers telling me I was massively huge or neat and tiny. I probably would have been a little bit sad if no one commented - I quite liked some of the comments and excitement from strangers, just wasn't keen on being touched or being assessed on my body shape!

10storeylovesong Mon 19-Jun-17 18:39:40

I was walking my dog today and our local (lovely) park ranger smiled, pointed at my belly and confidently said, "you've started maternity then?!". He looked quite shocked when I told him I was only 25 weeks and asked if it was twins!

Gunpowder Mon 19-Jun-17 18:42:30

Someone has to look about to pop before I will comment! It would too terrible to get it wrong.

kittytom Mon 19-Jun-17 18:48:45

With my first and strong tummy muscles I got it mostly from about 35 weeks. Eg "we're going to have to start wheeling you around in a wheelbarrow" (a colleague) and "OH MY GOODNESS, YOU'RE ENORMOUS!" (Mil).

With my second I got comments earlier, because I really was actually enormous from about 16 weeks.

AgentCooper Mon 19-Jun-17 18:59:34

I think people are just really scared of offending. I'm 23 weeks with quite a noticeable bump and we have a lot of seasonal staff just started at work, most of whom I know from last year. Each time I see one of them again for the first time and they ask how I am I make sure and say 'pregnant!' to avoid any awkwardness smile

Kittysparks1 Mon 19-Jun-17 19:06:50

I do understand why people would be hesitant to assume and that's fair enough. If someone does asks I will probably cuddle them in joy. Who knows, I may not get any comments.
My sister rubbed my belly the other day. I know some people get funny about that but I liked it. I remember when both my sisters were pregnant I was obsessed. Wanted regular updates, always visited, brought babies things every time I went shopping. I was really excited for each and everyone of the nieces and nephews. Maybe I annoyed the heck out of them in retrospect but the excitement is minimal for me! My ma brought me a nappy bin. I'm grateful. But can't really get too excited over a nappy bin 😂

TheWeatherGirl1 Mon 19-Jun-17 19:08:36

My pregnancy has been the same, even at 30 weeks I was having to tell people I work with that I was pregnant, as it seemed that
the bump I was sporting was shrouded in an invisibility cloak.
Yesterday, at 39 weeks, I had my first unsolicited bump rub from a stranger.
I could quite cheerfully have hugged her, I've spent months craving bump maulings from old women in Lidl

MsPassepartout Mon 19-Jun-17 19:10:52

I had some acquaintances who didn't notice I was pregnant until I started wheeling my newborn baby around in a pram.

arbrighton Mon 19-Jun-17 20:18:02

trust me, that's better than looks of shock when you tell someone it's still 6 weeks to go so therefore you must be the size of a house....

Kittysparks1 Tue 20-Jun-17 18:52:55

Just had to update, someone noticed!!!! Yey!!! A lady who came into my work asked how long I had left and it was so nice discussing it with someone! She was from America so maybe that has something to do with it. When I said she is the only person to notice she was shocked and said I obviously look pregnant! Anyway, It was nice and I'm glad I didn't miss out.

Confuseddot Tue 20-Jun-17 20:20:08

I have been asked five times today if it's only one or have I missed the other one on the scan. I'm 17weeks. First comment I was around 14 weeks but I have really popped the last week and they're increasing.

You're not missing out on much. It gets quite annoying sadly x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now