Talk

Advanced search

Baby or hernia ?

(11 Posts)
rollingonwheels Thu 15-Jun-17 22:46:31

Could this lump I get on my stomach be baby or a hernia or something else?
Wondered if anyone else got this too.
I get this going from a lying down position to sitting up slightly.
Maybe it's completely normal, just haven't seen any other pregnant bellies like it before.

rollingonwheels Thu 15-Jun-17 22:57:14

annlee3817 Thu 15-Jun-17 22:59:10

Does it kind of cone up in the middle? If yes it means your abdominal muscles have split, it's called disastis recti, fairly common i think. Happened to me too, mine still haven't quite knitted back together post birth

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 15-Jun-17 22:59:33

Ask your midwife?

SelfObsessionHoney Thu 15-Jun-17 22:59:47

Mine does that! Also does it if I quickly exhale. Think it's just the shape the uterus goes into rather than anything to worry over.

annlee3817 Thu 15-Jun-17 23:00:41

Google image disastasis recti cone and you'll see the pics are similar.

manyaslip Thu 15-Jun-17 23:02:59

That happens to me too when I go from laying to sitting up. I just assume it's my tummy muscles squeezing things in a funny way?

Impatientwino Thu 15-Jun-17 23:15:33

Mine does that too - this is my third baby and it's happened each time. Not caused me any issues afterwards

chelle85 Fri 16-Jun-17 06:45:13

Definitely looks like diastasis recti. Your abdomimal muscles are in two strips joined by connective tissue. The pressure of growing baby can weaken the tissue and cause seperation of the abdominals. You should try to minimise as much as possible any actions which result in the doming as it can make it much harder to get your muscles back together after delivery. Instead of sitting straight up roll on to your side and use your hands to push you up rather than abdominal muscles.

arbrighton Fri 16-Jun-17 09:08:44

Yup, my abs don't meet any more and kind of make that shape too.

It happens in 2/3 of pregnancies apparently, midwife completely unphased and no-one will be botherd for me apparently unless they don't knit back.

But as PP say, don't sit up, roll over onto your side and push up. It's easier as well- I can really feel that my abs don't work now sad

Emma2803 Fri 16-Jun-17 09:26:31

Your stomach muscles have separated. Mention it to your midwife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now