Talk

Advanced search

Coping with terrible 2s when pregnant

(7 Posts)
user1473602935 Wed 14-Jun-17 22:02:18

Im pregnant and shattered, and my 2.5 year old is being such a handful...screaming and whinging constantly, hitting and throwing, nothing is right etc

Does anyone else find it so hard dealing with this when pregnant? I feel like I need to get away from her! And then I feel guilty.

I work three days a week and don't really look forward to my days off with her

We do the naughty step and try to be quite firm but nothing seems to stop her being so tantrummy

HawkeyeInConfusion Wed 14-Jun-17 22:19:49

For me I got through this stage with cbeebies and sticker books.

flowers and cake for you.

mammabear4 Wed 14-Jun-17 23:02:05

user I know how you feel, I have a 2 year 10 month old and am currently in my first trimester feeling absolutely drained, sicky and generally horrendous.

It's such a lovely balance of mum guilt that I'm not being my normal self with her because I'm not functioning as usual and frustration when she gets so stroppy and dramatic!!

I was told by a very wise health professional that at this age toddlers so often get themselves "stuck down a cul-de-sac" as she put it that they just simply cannot get out of themselves and they need our guidance and calming presence to bring them back out of it.

As hard as it is to do sometimes I just find talking to her in a soothing voice and telling her "I know you're cross because you're feeling tired" or "I know you're feeling sad because Mummy wouldn't let you use the nail clippers on the dog's tail" really does start to sink in after a while. It's a process but my DD has started to begin a meltdown and then say "I'm feeling tired" or "I'm feeling cross" and think it's helping her to be able to express her emotions verbally rather than just act out. And then I'm always there for a big hug after she's chucked all her crayons across the room and got it out her system! Then we attempt tidy up (another kettle of fish altogether I know)

I know patience is not something we upduffed ladies have in abundance but I really hope any of this has been of some help!

And if nothing else let your mum/DH or whoever deal with your DD for a bit and have a bit of much deserved YOU time!!! Preferably with copious amounts of chocolate!

Sending hugs flowers

user1473602935 Thu 15-Jun-17 14:20:36

Thabks you so much, that's really helpful and great that you have a tried and tested method that works x

lorza03 Fri 16-Jun-17 04:13:34

I feel just the same as you. I'm now 34 weeks pregnant and my daughter is 18months old. Wow it's difficult. She is at nursery 3days a week and I have her the other 2. I love my husband but he's just got no patience with her and so I always end up being the one taking control. It's tiring and a little frustrating at times. I have started to buy new activities, such as play doh and drawing to try and help in the day. But these toddlers are always on the move ! Just try and muscle through as once these moments are gone you don't get them back as strate as this sounds I try to enjoy even the hard times, x

mammaofjoelandunbornboy Fri 16-Jun-17 07:07:03

I totally relate to this atm, im 39 weeks pregnant, im exhausted and have spd, my ds doesn't go to nursery so i have him 24/7, hes 2.5yrs old, dont get me wrong i adore him but boy im done in, wont get dressed, wont get nappy changed, i find it so hard to entertain him through the day, the only way i can get him to nap is to take him out in the car 😔 im exhausted xx

stepbystepdoula Fri 16-Jun-17 11:16:47

It can be really difficult managing the demands of a toddler and pregnancy at any stage.
Be kind to yourself and don't try to do everything, let the little things go, stop looking for everything to be perfect.
My eldest two are 15 months apart. For me what helped was lots of walks and fresh air, tiring out little legs and the green space and exercise helped me too. He was them more settled at home, or joy- ready for a nap.
Take offers of help, all too often we say 'I'm fine'.
💕

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now