Talk

Advanced search

Being transferred to consultant led care

(10 Posts)
swinkle Tue 13-Jun-17 14:32:19

I'm hoping someone can talk me down as I'm quite upset at the moment.

I'm 38+5 and have been midwife led throughout my pregnancy. My most recent appointment was last Friday and my midwife weighed me (first time I'd been weighed since I had my 12 week scan) and she told me that I'd put on 17kg; ideally this should have been 10kg. Because of this, she said, I may find that when I turn up to the hospital in labour they may transfer me to consultant led care if they thought they would have any concerns about monitoring the baby. She then went on to locate the baby's heartbeat with absolutely no issues, so expected this not to be the case.

However I have just received a call from her telling me that I have now been transferred to consultant led care because of the weight gain, and I have an appointment next Monday to discuss this (baby is due next Thursday). I am probably unreasonably upset and crying my eyes out about this - I suffer from anxiety and had been throughout my pregnancy thankful that I would be able to be in a private room where my DH could stay with me. Now I will be on a ward which sounds like a nightmare, and I keep getting conflicting advice as to whether or not DH will be able to stay. I was also hoping to use a pool; there are 5 on the MLU but only 1 on the CLU, so it feels as though my chances of being able to use one have dramatically dropped.

I can't believe this has suddenly been dropped on me right at the very end of my pregnancy! I was feeling pretty calm overall about the birth and looking forward to it, now I'm suddenly dreading it. I'm also really annoyed - I've always been overweight and they noted me as such at the beginning (bmi 31), surely they should have been monitoring my weight gain throughout, or at least letting me know what kind of gain might cause a problem so I could monitor it myself? I think I would have coped a lot better with this change had it come about sooner so I could have wrapped my head around it before now. All the way through I've been told everything was going really well; I did have to go for a growth scan at 34 weeks because I was measuring big, but they said my baby was a good size and they had no concerns, and the GT test was also fine.

Does anyone have any advice or anything to calm me down? Feel like I need a bit of a slap at the moment.

Myusername2015 Tue 13-Jun-17 14:44:43

That sounds bizarre; all the NICE guidelines say it's booking in weight..my bmi was 29 on booking; 40 weeks today have put on a similar amount as you; haven't been weighed (touch wood) since. Do you know what bmi your mdu will take up to and what current bmi you are? Sending you hugs I would feel exactly the same; hopefully the consultant will just sign you off for maternity unit x

swinkle Tue 13-Jun-17 14:51:20

Thank you smile

I don't know about current bmi, she said I'd put on 17kg and that I'm being transferred because I've put on more than 16kg. I'm not going to hold my breath about being transferred back - I need to get myself used to the idea of it as soon as I can. I just feel so upset and don't want to be dreading giving birth. I feel like I'm being punished for being fat, as silly as I know that sounds.

Quadratilla Tue 13-Jun-17 14:54:20

They will be doing what is best for you. I was put under consultant care too and it was fine. Try not to set your heart on a particular type of birth - look to getting a lovely healthy baby at the end. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't to me now (water labour then forceps, 3 caesareans later). The birth is just the beginning, the best is yet to come. Stay calm and focus on the beautiful baby you will have this time next month, next year and in twenty years time. flowerscakebrew

Myusername2015 Tue 13-Jun-17 14:57:12

I promise when it comes to the labour the only thing you'll care about is that bundle of joy safely in your arms at the end. Don't give up hope on mlu as I know loads of people referred to consultants by over cautious midwifes who got sent straight back but i understand it's best to prepare for that possibility. Still think it's awful they didn't tell you that you'd have to meet that weight threshold as you were only 1kg over it! Thinking of you x

suffolknclose Tue 13-Jun-17 14:59:39

I'm sorry but it is a lot to put on and that's why they are taking appropriate measures to ensure yours and baby's safety.

I started at 80kg and I'm 5'6 so a starting BMI of 29 too and I now weigh 87kg at 40 weeks. What percentage of your start weight did you put on?

Ceebs85 Tue 13-Jun-17 15:01:19

I had a wobble last week when I got a consultant appt out of the blue. My BMI on booking was 38 so just under my local threshold of 40 for being consultant led and i'm 31 weeks now. I had no idea I was being switched to a consultant so it threw up loads of questions and loads of anxiety. I often wonder why noone has weighed me so far, it seems bizarre when so much rests on weight!

It doesn't necessarily mean though that your birth is going to be any different. Maybe you could ask to look round the CLU to put your mind at rest? I don't think they would take these decisions lightly but it's normal to have lots of questions so don't be afraid to ask.

Crashbangwhatausername Tue 13-Jun-17 15:04:29

Our local guidelines go on booking bmi. If you need some advice from a professional can I point you in the direction of the AIMS website - they have a phone number and are really good. Best of luck

swinkle Tue 13-Jun-17 15:21:04

Thank you all smile I know the baby is the most important thing and I do feel a bit calmer now. It just came as such a shock at this late stage when they've been telling me all along how well it was going. I do still feel that it should have been discussed with me before now, ideally right from the start as I was overweight to begin with, but there we are, can't do anything about that now. Just have to get on with it and try not to stress myself out any more than necessary.

EdgarAllenPoe Tue 13-Jun-17 15:21:52

I find it odd that's the only thing. And like you say, a little unfair and daft they never told you to keep an eye on it until it was too late.

I started with a BMI of about 28 but put on 25kg (and I'm only 5'2"). I did get referred for GTT and scans at 34 weeks, but when everything came back normal they left it and I just carried on. I just make big babies! I ended up needing to be induced in the end (waters went but no labour after 2 days) so most 'birth choices' were out anyway.

I know it's difficult, but if I were you I'd try not to get too hung up on any particular way you would like birth to go, since so much of it is out of our control. You need to contact your hospital to find out their policy re partners and private rooms. Many hospitals also offer tours, which might help ease your anxiety.

My birth did not go at all how I would have ideally liked, but in the end baby and I were both okay, and I'll be doing it again in a few months. I'm consultant led this time for different reasons, and actually I'm happy to be getting extra care and it's put my mind at ease. I hope seeing your consultant does the same for you. It's not easy, but you will get through it. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now