Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Weightloss after birth.

(14 Posts)
MissBax Mon 12-Jun-17 21:01:34

Hi all, I'm expecting my 1st child in a couple of months, and have mentioned to my DH and a friend that I'm looking forward to getting back into exercising and losing a bit of weight (within reason of course, I've not put on that much during the pregnancy so far).
Now I know that I'll be taking it easy for a while after the birth, I'm not thinking I'll be working out within the first few weeks. But DF told me she was told to wait 8 weeks after having her DD last year! Surely not? I know I'll be exhausted and getting used to having a newborn so I'd in no way push myself, but two months?? I'd be climbing the walls if I couldn't exercise for that long! How long did others wait if they had a "normal" delivery?
Just to note - I normally use weights and resistance bands at home and go for long walks, it's not like I'm out running marathons!

Tchoutchou Mon 12-Jun-17 21:36:22

Hiya! Definitely no weights straight after birth. You will need to strengthen your pelvic floor again first (3 series of exercises every day) and unfortunately it takes time.
3 months before a real improvement and then at 6 months again.
8 weeks seems about right (after minimum damage). Check when you can start buggy fit classes but I think it's about that time frame. If you need instruments or a c-section it may be longer.
I'm sure some women "bounce back" but frankly afterpains for a few weeks is common, your body is full of relaxin (until you stop breastfeeding) which makes ligaments weak, your pelvic floor needs time to strengthen + most newborns don't do nights before 12 weeks (which means feeding every 2 hours 24 hours a day).
Early motherhood is really tough. Take it easy. smile

chelle85 Mon 12-Jun-17 21:37:09

Can't offer advice but I feel exactly the same. I need exercise for my own sanity and still at classes 3 times a week at the minute 31wks pregnant.

I think it depends entirely on type of birth. A c section will obviously need more rest. With a vaginal delivery I think it will depend on when bleeding stops. I intend to go on pram walks pretty quickly and some easy yoga/stretches building to light weights within a couple of weeks. I would hope to be back to my usual routing by 8 weeks postpartum but will just play it by ear

Oysterbabe Mon 12-Jun-17 21:41:54

You need to wait until after your 6 week check and make sure your tummy muscles have gone back together.

PlugUgly1980 Mon 12-Jun-17 21:52:49

Each birth is so different! With my first, I had a natural delivery, but 3rd degree tear which needed a trip to theatre for stitching. But I was home and out and about walking with the pram 3 days later, and running when baby was 3 weeks old. I had my GP check up as is standard at 6 weeks and she said I could return to light exercise, she was surprised but not alarmed that I was already back to 5k. I felt absolutely fine, healed really well and just knew I was ready to get back out there. With my second, a natural delivery again, a couple of stitches but I lost a lot more blood (not quite enough to need a transfusion) and just felt really quite unwell and was subsequently diagnosed with an infection. I didn't leave the house for near enough 6 weeks, it was sole destroying but equally I just didn't have the energy. I had to start really slowly just walking round the block, and gradually start to feel better. 5 months later I was back to running 4 or 5 times a week and achieved a 10k and half marathon PB. I really wouldn't worry now about wanting to get back to exercise too soon, you'll have absolutely no idea how you'll feel...you may be fit as a fiddle a couple of days after the birth and be itching to get out the door or you may just want to enjoy newborn cuddles and exercising takes on a lesser importance, or you might not feel up to it at all. I was really surprised how much fitness I actually retained after each pregnancy so don't panic!

Spanneroo Mon 12-Jun-17 21:53:54

You'll need to wait at least 6 weeks for any real exercise. Before that point you can do pelvic floors and abdominal strengthening exercises can be helpful - but you need to be very careful you're not doing yourself more damage as some abdominal exercises can cause more damage to the muscles which have been pulled apart during pregnancy.

Naturally you can also do as much walking as you feel you can but you should not be pushing yourself physically before this point.

As PP has said, you will be knackered anyway so you're unlikely to want to do any more than necessary. Don't underestimate the impact of such disrupted sleep.

I am the sort who does bounce back (was at softplay with DD1 when DD2 was 3 days old) but I would still recommend taking it gently. DD2 was 6 weeks on Friday and it feels great to be able to start doing a bit more when I want to. For now it'll be a couple of gentle runs a week and I'll build up from there.

MissBax Mon 12-Jun-17 22:01:09

Oh thanks everyone, gosh I must be either naive or ignorant but I honestly had no idea it'd be that long! As long as I can have regular walks that should get me by smile

jellypi3 Tue 13-Jun-17 10:19:50

Take each day as they come. You don't know what's around the corner, you could end up having a CS (fingers crossed not, but it's always a possibility) that will affect your recovery. Similarly, if you have tearing or an episiotomy, you may need more time to heal and prevent any torn stitches.

Take it easy, relax with your new baby, and enjoy it. The exercising will come in time smile

EdgarAllenPoe Tue 13-Jun-17 10:49:21

I had an emergency c-section and was given a list of 'exercises' upon leaving hospital.

They included getting out of bed safely, pelvic floor, and flexing my toes. That was literally it for at least 6-8 weeks, and I was banned from sit-ups or any similar movements for a year!

Frankly it didn't bother me. I was exhausted and concentrating on being able to just function. Once I started to feel mildly human at 4-6 weeks, I started walking more, which was exercise enough. I lost the weight eventually (about 12 months) and really, you'll be massively distracted by a new baby. Good luck!

DuggeeHugs Tue 13-Jun-17 11:47:13

I had an EMCS last time, did the exercises they recommended, but was otherwise too exhausted looking after DS to do anything else. Just by eating normally (challenging enough with an EBF newborn) I lost all my pregnancy weight plus an extra 4lb by 12 weeks. That said, my body was a rather different shape so it didn't feel like it!

DC2 is due next month (ELCS this time) and my only focus is on surviving those first weeks confused

Caterina99 Tue 13-Jun-17 14:44:08

I had an EMCS and was really ill with huge blood loss etc. Once I was out of hospital I went for a daily walk with DS in the pram. Granted I could barely stagger round the block the first day, but I was told to walk and do very gentle exercises and at 6 weeks cleared to exercise, just to be cautious.

My friend has just had her second 2 weeks ago and we were chasing our active toddlers round soft play a week later. Her with baby in sling.

MissBax Tue 13-Jun-17 17:16:45

Thanks for sharing all your stories, obviously I'm just planning for the ideal which would be a simple vaginal birth, but don't worry - I am VERY excited to just relax and make the most of being a mum and just spending some lovely time with my DD smile a good walk each day will definitely suffice, I just get cabin fever if stay in too much!

GreenGoblin0 Wed 14-Jun-17 08:11:45

just to add to this - it's important to remember that a c section is major abdominal surgery. I will always remember midwife with my first telling me that with any other major abdominal surgery they would be sending you home to completelt rest but with a c section they are sending you home with a newborn baby to look after. as others have said you need to give your body time to heal.

even with a "simple vaginal birth" if you've had stiches you will need to take it easy. I found that I was aggravating the wound when I pushed it a bit too much with walking etc in the first few weeks.

DrG13 Wed 14-Jun-17 16:10:03

I had a really straightforward, textbook vaginal birth with a smallish baby and no stitches. I genuinely don't want to worry you, but just so you understand that all women are different, I wasn't able to just get back to things after birth as I had planned. It took me many weeks before I could walk any kind of distance without feeling that my insides were falling out. I'd say it took over 2 months before I could walk normally again. I was really into my fitness prior to pregnancy. Gym several times a week, huge fan of weight lifting. Since giving birth (8 months ago) I haven't been unable to lift weights or do any vigorous exercise really. My pelvic floor is shot and I have a mild prolapse (which I'm told is very common). To heal myself and prevent the prolapse from worsening I have been following advice on pelvic floor safe exercises, which means no running, jumping or weight lifting. So none of my HIIT, circuits or lifting. I'm gradually strengthening my pelvic floor and building up what I can do. Swimming and walking are great but it's just not what I really love. I can't properly push myself or get back the body I had yet, but I am hopeful it'll come in time. For many women giving birth is very traumatic on the body and you can't just go back to how things were before. I really hope you can exercise soon after your birth, but do bear in mind that you can't really plan for what will happen to your body, so don't set yourself targets or put pressure on yourself. The best plan is to go with the flow, don't rush into any exercise after birth (because you can weaken your pelvic floor permanently if you do), and however things pan out don't beat yourself up. Best of luck with it all!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: