Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

In constant pain with hip

(13 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Sat 10-Jun-17 17:37:32

Help.

I've read up on SPD and PGP etc and I'm not sure this fits, but at the same time it's agony and is just not letting up so I'm at a loss in what to do.

For the past two weeks I've had pain in my left hip, and it started to feel bruised not long after the pain started. It's like a icy cold achy pain that gets worse when sitting, lying or not moving. I can't lie on my left side as I feel like I'm lying on something hard, thought it was a lump under bed sheets at first. Today I've noticed a tiny pea sized lump under the skin on the outer hip joint where the pain is coming from and it's scared me. I've got shooting pains in my leg and my butt cheek feels cramped up after movement like walking etc. I have lower back pain on and off with random shooting pains in my pelvic bone. I also, over last few days, have been getting a numb feeling around the pain area, my butt cheek and in my feet... Like a cool numb feeling.

Has anyone had similar, is this pregnancy or something else?

The lump has freaked me and I'm considering going to Accident and Emergency as it's so sore and feels like it's trying to pop out when I walked. Would this be over dramatic?

OnNaturesCourse Sat 10-Jun-17 18:56:53

Forgot to say I'm 16weeks pregnant x

Bobbiepin Sat 10-Jun-17 19:45:12

Your symptoms from shooting pains onwards sounds lile sciatica, I've got the same thing at the moment and it can be agony. Not sure about the lump though, maybe a trip to the GP just to check it out?

OnNaturesCourse Sat 10-Jun-17 19:47:58

The pain only started once I was pregnant, can that trigger it? Does it cause numbness and pins & needles? Pelvic bone pain?

Unfortunately I can't get to a GP next week so I'll need to monitor it carefully.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 13-Jun-17 06:20:40

it sounds like PGP. can often feel like sciatica. not sure about lump. I would call midwife and ask for referral to physio. it's definitely not something I'd go to a&e for.

10storeylovesong Tue 13-Jun-17 08:50:26

I have something similar in my right hip. I had issues with my left hip years ago but had physio at the time. I mentioned it to midwife who referred me for physio for suspected pgp. The physio has said she doesn't believe I have pgp but that she can feel muscles in my back are thickened from years of trying to overcompensate for my bad hip, and then with the extra pregnancy weight at the front and the relaxin released during pregnancy, it's just caused issues with my hip. There's not a lot she can do during pregnancy but has given me some gentle exercises and a band to support it, and recommended Pilates after pregnancy.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 13-Jun-17 10:09:55

Thank you.

I forgot to update. I borrowed a TENS machine and it's so far working wonders on my hip and lower back. Xx

FusionChefGeoff Tue 13-Jun-17 10:30:04

Can you afford a private physio session? Usually £40-£50. I had something very similar and struggled in for months but a single physio appointment made a huge difference.

She explained that hormone changes relax connective tissues to allow bump to grow. However, sometimes others relax too much and cause nerves to dislodge and then muscles spasm up to protect the nerves. She gave me a seriously painful but totally with it massage which released everything and then exercises and a special supportive belt to stop it happening again.

If you can't afford private, GP should refer you but it could be a looong wait so definitely see them ASAP to get on the list.

ABitCrapReally Tue 13-Jun-17 10:40:04

Sounds to me like SI joint dysfunction. (Sacro-iliac)
There's good news and bad news. Bad news is, it will continue to get worse as you're pregnancy progresses and there is not so much support out there for it in my experience.
Good news is it will most likely disappear completely after the birth.
In the mean time a good physio is essential as is a tight, pelvic/hip support.
They key is to rest it as much as possible now.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 13-Jun-17 17:01:41

Thanks.

I am pain free now thanks to the tens machine... Uncertain if I should put myself on the NHS waiting list as like you say it can be a long list and I worry the pain might come back x

FusionChefGeoff Tue 13-Jun-17 17:57:55

Get on the list and also if you can buy a support belt to limit the damage
http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/back-care-products/harleysacroiliacc_belt_XL.html?gclid=CO6f5ZGlu9QCFQaeGwodCmsJ4Q
I still suffer and I'm sure if I'd done something earlier it wouldn't have lasted beyond pregnancy.

OnNaturesCourse Wed 14-Jun-17 00:18:38

Definitely going to give them a call and look into the belts, I don't yet have a sticky out bump (it's more bloated bulk looking) so would the belts still work?

Mwnci123 Wed 14-Jun-17 19:55:04

Hi OP, Please get this checked with your GP. I ignored hip and back pain in pregnancy thinking it was standard joint stuff, but it was actually something else entirely that really needed medical treatment. Eventually I went to the GP who got it sorted for me. Take care x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: