Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Csection and anal abcess draining within days of each other. Help

(11 Posts)
Teabagtits Sat 10-Jun-17 13:04:21

I have a perianal abcess that doesn't seem to be responding to antibiotics. My gp said if it's still there by next Friday I'll have to go to hospital to have it excised. The problem is that will be 5 days before my ELCS and I'm concerned it (open wound) will be problematic for me, particularly with my previous experience of messy post section poo.

Has anyone been in this situation? Will they excise the abcess before the section or leave it until afterwards?

Is there anything I can do to try to speed up it going away without surgery? I'm dreading having it removed days before my section sad

Teabagtits Sat 10-Jun-17 20:02:32

Nobody got any ideas?

MrsEvedder Sat 10-Jun-17 20:37:36

No experience but just wanted to say you poor thing, it's sounds awful! Would it be better to try to drain it asap so that it's healed before your c section? Is it accessible? Are you able to put heat on it?

Teabagtits Sat 10-Jun-17 22:17:58

I've been told because of location to try to not let it burst so heat has been ruled out. I can't really see or reach it due to inability to twist either. If I get it excised it will be left as an open wound which is what's freaking me out

Gentleboil Sat 10-Jun-17 22:23:06

You need to speak to your obstetrician about it, and get some joined up continuing care. Phone their secretary and explain. I hope you're ok, that sounds v miserable

bluechameleon Sat 10-Jun-17 23:04:31

I don't want to scare you but I have had a perianal abscess excised and left as an open wound. I could barely walk for a few days and it was very painful for a couple of weeks after that. It will be very difficult to manage that and a c section. For one thing, you won't be able to lie on your back whereas after a c section that is the best position to be in. And you will need the wound packed every day for a while (couple of weeks? Can't quite remember) then every other day for a while longer. How will they manage this while you are in hospital after the c section? And to have it packed you lie on your front which you won't be able to do. I think you need to talk through the logistics of this with your doctor and see if there is any other alternative that could get you by for a few weeks until you've recovered from the c section. Masses of sympathy for you, it is the most painful thing isn't it.

bluechameleon Sat 10-Jun-17 23:04:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Teabagtits Sun 11-Jun-17 01:24:03

Thanks. I might phone up MAU tomorrow and ask their advice. I see the obs on Wednesday but also have a family wedding to attend so worried they might want to do something about it then. I'm getting really freaked out about it all. I'm hoping it just drains itself soon and the antibiotics work as I just can't see how recovery from that and a section would work. Unless they aspirated with a needle until the section recovery was underway :-/ Got a bad case of the why Mes?

VoteMe Sun 11-Jun-17 09:41:17

No advice but a huge bucketload of sympathy. It sounds awful.

flowersflowersflowers

Teabagtits Tue 13-Jun-17 00:38:08

Well the abcess burst this afternoon and it was instant relief. It's still leaking a bit but hoping it's gone for good and won't be an issue for the section. As an aside dear god the stench was horrific. Bet you really wanted to know that!

VoteMe Tue 13-Jun-17 00:48:45

I'm genuinely pleased for you! The stink sounds kind of gross 🤢😷but I bet you didn't care.

Hope it heals up quickly and good luck for the C-section
🌸🌸🌈

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now