Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused about kick counting

(11 Posts)
chelle85 Sun 04-Jun-17 18:11:16

I've seen so much about the importance of reporting reduced movement but I am really confused...

My midwofe mentioned feeling 10 movements in 24 hours but I have seen other things that say 10 in an hour ir 10 in 2 hours....

For last few weeks I have been feeling baby regularly after I have just eaten. But today I have felt very little. I even had sone came at a christening and the sugar didn't wake him up. I have an anterior placenta and based on how squishy my bump is feeling today ai think he has turned and I cannot feel the kicks. I have tried lying on my side and having a cold drink and have felt sone lighter movements but only about 5 in 2 hours.

Do I ring maternity ward? Feel like a nuisance as I have felt some movement and it is likely just his position that is stopping me feeling more

NapQueen Sun 04-Jun-17 18:12:20

How far along are you? I think the kick counting is only after about 26 weeks or so as before theb they are just too small to reliably feel.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sun 04-Jun-17 18:17:03

Yes how many weeks pregnant are you, as can't answer accurately without knowing.
I have heard all sorts about kick counting and frankly I don't miss the associated anxiety and conflicting info!
I was told, 10 movements in 2 hours. Apparently the 24 hour thing is old advice. But it changes all the time like everything else...!

chelle85 Sun 04-Jun-17 18:18:59

Sorry forgot to say I'm 29+4

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sun 04-Jun-17 18:21:56

Not sure how long ago you felt the 5 movements, but if you haven't felt more within another hour call the day assessment unit to discuss, they will advise you what to do.
You will NOT be made to feel like a nuisance. Your baby is likely absolutely fine.

TipTop333 Sun 04-Jun-17 18:22:50

Just call and say you have reduced movements. Make sure you have tried lying on your left and having an ice cold drink first as they might ask you to do that then call again. Never feel like you are overreacting for reduced movements though.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sun 04-Jun-17 18:22:50

Should add, I went through lots of monitoring towards the end of my pregnancy, the hospital were great and they always want to see you if you have any concerns.

Letsgetreadytorumbleagain Sun 04-Jun-17 18:26:03

It's not about counting number of kicks, it's about patterns of movement. If you're not feeling your baby as much as you would normally or their pattern has changed you should call the maternity assessment unit and tell them. You should really get checked

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sun 04-Jun-17 18:30:23

Yes just give them a call OP. Chances are everything is fine but better safe than sorry. Good luck and wishing you and baby well.

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Sun 04-Jun-17 18:39:35

Anything that differs from normal movements for your baby needs to be checked out

Lemondrop99 Sun 04-Jun-17 19:54:53

Yes to the previous posters who said it's about knowing what's normal for your baby. The 10 in 2 hour thing isn't much help if your baby usually moves 25 times in a hour. That would still be reduced movement even though it meets the quota.

If you feel something isn't right, contact triage. Mine have always been very clear they'd rather you go in and it be nothing, than you not go in and something is wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now