Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

5+4 sudden intense period pains

(6 Posts)
emilyemilyy Thu 01-Jun-17 22:26:37

I'm currently 5+4 and since I found out I was pregnant and before I knew, I've been having mild period pains (which I've read are normal). Yesterday and today on a couple of occasions I've had a sudden really intense period type pain. It doesn't last very long, but when it does come on it's painful enough that I have to bend over and it makes me feel a bit funny. I've had no bleeding or anything but I'm still worried. Does this sound normal?

geologyrocks Thu 01-Jun-17 22:32:45

Hi Emily,

This is my 4th pregnancy and ive experienced period cramps in the fist trimester on all of them. I used to run to the loo regularly to check but nothing!

I think if theres no blood then its ok - thats my experience anyway!

Wishing you a healthy pregnancy!!

Itsjustaphase84 Fri 02-Jun-17 05:56:17

Normal. It would take my breath away. Felt like full flow early or heavy period cramps. All was OK.

BeeMyBaby Fri 02-Jun-17 06:05:32

Maybe get tested for a uti? I thought I was miscarrying at about the same stage with my 3rd DC it was so bad I was doubled over crying, but turned out it was a UTI which can sometimes feel like moderate labour pains (so like extreme period pain), I increased my water intake and it fixed it.

Pixiedust2017 Fri 02-Jun-17 07:04:50

I would let your GP or midwife (if you have one) know and see what they say.
I am 9 + 2 today and I have been getting cramps the entire time. At about 7 weeks they were so bad the GP sent me for an emergency scan to check for ectopic. All was ok and I got to see baby early with a heartbeat in right place and growing just fine smile
Have been told by GP and midwife that if cramps get worse to call them and if bleeding to call them but otherwise if cramps stay around the same it is probably just things growing/stretching etc.
So far all seems to be going well smile

HeyJupiter Fri 02-Jun-17 07:31:44

I had exactly the same OP, and they've come and gone all through the pregnancy. I'm 15+5 now and tend to just feel stretching now rather than cramping. At booking in appointment midwife said only to worry if the pain is unbearable, relentless, focused to one side and potentially with some bleeding. Am sure it's okay. I second what others have said about a UTI though so keep a check on how you're feeling generally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: