Talk

Advanced search

Hay fever

(18 Posts)
MrsH128 Thu 01-Jun-17 22:06:24

dreaded hay fever! anyone got any tips? GP said not to take antihistamines as not enough research done on how safe to take when pregnant!

QueenRefusenik Thu 01-Jun-17 22:10:53

Surprised to hear that - my GP said perfectly safe to take cetirizine throughout pregnancy! He said that the warning on them to check with GP if pregnant is because no one can do a systematic study of their effects in pregnancy, but that they've been around long enough that we'd definitely know by now if there were any issues. I'm allergic to dust mites so have to take cetirizine every day. No way I could have survived 9 months without them! That said, he did promote the nasal sprays as they work topically, so you could try those?

DuggeeHugs Thu 01-Jun-17 22:16:56

Just had a chat with my GP about this today. Apparently my surgery now tries to avoid prescribing antihistamines generally, preferring to suggest patients use topical relief instead. She relented when I pointed out that sneezing fits following a CS were likely to be less helpful than antihistamines.

Interestingly the pharmacist refused to discuss the safety of antihistamines with me either, referring me back to my midwife for advice. This is quite different from last time.

Cakescakescakes Thu 01-Jun-17 22:17:46

The nasal sprays worked well for me in pregnancy. Just be aware that virtually EVERYTHING says not safe in pregnancy but that just means it hasn't been through trials etc as it's unethical to test on pregnant women. Piriton is also fine (I took it for skin problems in pregnancy) although not recommended in the final trimester.

DuggeeHugs Thu 01-Jun-17 22:57:23

Cakes Piriton is what I've just been prescribed - I'm 33 weeks confused

Queen good to know about cetirizine. I wish I could remember what I was prescribed last time

RedBugMug Thu 01-Jun-17 23:02:45

what an arse your gp is. there is no reason not to let a pregnant woman suffer.

you can take antihistamines (loratadine or cetirizine are usually ok).
if it's really bad you could also take a steroid nasal spray (pirineze or beconase).

HellsBellsK Thu 01-Jun-17 23:41:30

I have also been prescribed Pirition and i'm in the 3rd trimester confused

Cakescakescakes Fri 02-Jun-17 07:41:47

I think I remember when the GP looked it up in the BNF drug book they said that Piriton late in pregnancy could cause irritability in newborns? That's the only reason. This was 4 years ago though so maybe the guidance has changed.

arbrighton Fri 02-Jun-17 09:18:44

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/935.aspx?categoryid=54

@RedBugMug

NHS advice is actually to do things like eyedrops/ steroid nasal spray first as it's less likely to cross into the blood stream.

Personally, not that bothered about the tablets anyway as they don't seem to touch my symptoms so beconase being OK was a big relief and I managed my hayfever just fine with that alone this year.

OP- there is little to no research done on any medication in pregnancy, it just won't be approved for ethical reasons. But your GP needs to read the advice given by their employer.... And consider that pregnancy is bloody hard enough without snot, runny eyes, sneezing (and therefore probably leaking), fuggy head, nosebleeds (yep, mine made a recurrence this year) and everything else that goes with hayfever

MabelTheCow Fri 02-Jun-17 09:47:30

I have been told to take the nasal spray and eye drops rather than tablets as they are localised and not as likely to cross the placenta. Working really well for me. Fingers crossed for you though. HF sucks!

ChickenBhuna Fri 02-Jun-17 09:52:33

I'm taking a child's dosage of piriton because my gp and midwife told me to only use nasal spray , nose balm etc and it was making me miserable! I was up all night sneezing and my stomach muscles were in constant pain so I made a decision of my own.

I hope you find something that works.

glastogal Fri 02-Jun-17 11:15:19

There is a drug free nasal spray called prevalin (available in boots) that is safe during pregnancy.. I'm going to try that first as I just had my first bad day yesterday!! Fingers crossed it works 🤞

ijustwannadance Fri 02-Jun-17 11:19:20

I was told to ok to take citirizine as my allergy to dust mites is also my biggest asthma trigger.

ChickenBhuna Fri 02-Jun-17 11:59:54

I'm the same ijustwannadance , if I control the allergies everything is better.

londonloves Fri 02-Jun-17 13:25:53

Try stinging nettle supplements and nettle tea. Has worked like a dream for me. Although I may have to hit the Piriton when camping in July/August.

Dede124 Fri 02-Jun-17 15:49:55

Was driving me insane yesterday!! The pollen count was so high. All I got prescribed from my doctors was a shitty nasal spray that does nothing!!.. luckily not too bad today but I'm dreading when it comes back 😩

Usernamegone Fri 02-Jun-17 18:56:45

I've been told I can have beconase and eye drops but no antihistamines. I explained that the hayfever always feels bad in my throats with a sore scratchy thoat all the time. Am constantly coughing as can get any relief in my throats from the scratchiness and throat sweets don't help at all sad

MrsH128 Sat 03-Jun-17 09:40:41

thanks very much for all the advice everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now