Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Raspberry leaf capsules

(9 Posts)
Twinkledancing1983 Wed 31-May-17 18:56:26

I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and I got raspberry leaf capsules from Holland and Barrett a few weeks ago but the sales assistant said you can't take them until 36 weeks, but when I've just looked to see how many to take, it actually says 'do not take when pregnant or breastfeeding'. I've seen lots of articles and people have told me to take it, but now I'm concerned... any experience of this?

Babyonboard101 Wed 31-May-17 18:57:56

As far as I'm aware they're one of those urban myths to help induce labour like eating pineapple or curry so talk to your go first. Any reason why u want to start taking them???

tabithaa Wed 31-May-17 20:25:28

As far as I'm aware it doesn't cause early labour. I took it with both pregnancies and was late both times, I believed it shortened 2nd stage labour. I had pretty intense and quick labours both times. I drank the tea last 2 times but will try capsules this time round.

m33r Wed 31-May-17 20:33:57

I had loads of tea last time and had the quickest labour ever. Plan to start again at 36 weeks x

ShowOfHands Wed 31-May-17 20:37:43

I think it has to say you can't have them while pregnant or bfing but this doesn't mean it's unsafe, just not officially tested.

People don't take raspberry leaf to induce labour. It's a uterine tonic aimed at shortening the second stage of labour.

I drank loads of raspberry leaf. My second stage was... 8 hours 😂

Twinkledancing1983 Wed 31-May-17 20:56:33

Thanks - I'm not looking to induce labour but have been advised that it helps to soften the cervix which can help ease labour .

mintich Wed 31-May-17 20:57:44

I used it but it had no effect

BikeRunSki Wed 31-May-17 21:00:17

I think the reasons for not taking them in pregnancy are -
1- they've not befn tested on pregnant women
2- the point/old wives tale is to soften the cervix and/or induce labour, which is probably ok at 37 weeks but not in earlier pg.

marmiteloversunite Wed 31-May-17 21:05:07

I had two, four hour labours. Used raspberry leaf capsules. Started with one a day for first two weeks (week 36/37 ) and then upped it to two a day til giving birth. I thought it was meant to strengthen the cervix. Probably tosh but I had two quick labours with only gas and air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now