Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What if I don't have gestational diabetes?

(9 Posts)
DontBeBlueBeARainbow Wed 31-May-17 14:10:13

So I've had the blood glucose test (standard for all in this part of the world) and it came back normal. So why is the doctor giving me a lecture about controlling my fruit intake?

Not just the doctor, but others too. My mum is also saying I should be careful how much sugar I have, which I think is because I had a big first baby (9lb5oz) and she knows I binged on chocolate after I went overdue with him. And I also did puff up a lot in the last week of my first pregnancy.

But surely if the test was normal then my body is processing sugar normally, right? So why do I need to worry about this?

Caterina99 Wed 31-May-17 14:37:59

Some people just like to lecture. Presumably the only thing they can find is your fruit intake!

EdgarAllenPoe Wed 31-May-17 14:45:56

I was huge and swollen and had a big baby (10lbs) last time, so had the gtt purely due to baby's size (no other risk factors and it isn't standard here). No GD, I just make big babies. Maybe you do too. The pregnancy police have to have something to moan about though. Anyone telling me not to eat chocolate when I was overdue and going mad from being so uncomfortable would have been swiftly informed where to kindly shove their advice!

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Wed 31-May-17 14:50:24

I was thinking 'why is she going on about fruit? She should how much chocolate I eat' but I guess that might not occur to her as people here aren't big on chocolate.

RandomMess Wed 31-May-17 14:53:09

You probably just make big babies, I do too and I'm only 5' looked a whale and always went overdue!

#2 was the biggest at 10lb6oz but it was a fine delivery etc.

Ignore them.

confusedat23 Wed 31-May-17 15:09:49

Dw OP I eat a lot of fruit as i generally prefer it to Veg and there are lots of people telling me to cut it out. If you were esting lots of fruit and didn't fail the glucose test you will be fine!

Tw1nsetAndPearls Wed 31-May-17 15:12:15

I was given a gestational diabetes diagnosis and controlled it through diet. The one change I made was reducing my fruit intake - I had awful morning sickness and I was eating loads of fruit. I was surprised at the difference it made.

KimmySchmidt1 Wed 31-May-17 16:56:17

If you eat a lot of sugar, it's not great for your baby either way - if you know you're not eating much sugar then who cares what other peop,e say. But don't ignore advice just because you like eating lots of sugar. Sugar is bad for our systems full stop.

KimmySchmidt1 Wed 31-May-17 16:57:20

If you eat a lot of sugar, it's not great for your baby either way - if you know you're not eating much sugar then who cares what other peop,e say. But don't ignore advice just because you like eating lots of sugar. Sugar is bad for our systems full stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now