Talk

Advanced search

TOXOPLASMOSIS

(9 Posts)
user1490790128 Wed 31-May-17 06:19:17

Hey all, I am 15 weeks pregnant and tested positive for toxoplasmosis. I am anxious and so terrified. Has anyone else been through the same as me with any comforting experiences ? Please help! Xx

Floellabella Wed 31-May-17 07:12:49

Sorry to hear that, you must be scared. This thread is quite reassuring www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1603476-My-toxoplasmosis-experience-to-share-with-others-who-may-go-through-the-same-thing. Good luck xx

kikibo Wed 31-May-17 07:39:24

You probably had an infection in the past that left antibodies so you are immune. Just ask your midwife or doctor what's positive exactly (there are two types of antibodies, recent and non-recent).

Apachepony Wed 31-May-17 07:45:10

Was about to post, then saw I posted on that old thread! Anyway my baby was born perfectly fine, though it was certainly an anxious pregnancy. Hopefully all will be welll for you.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 31-May-17 12:38:08

I wanted to ask the same, what do they mean by positive? A positive toxoplasmosis antibody test would normally mean you are already immune and don't have to worry about it. Recent infection is of course a different matter. Were they clear that this is a current infection?

ighinici Wed 31-May-17 18:36:23

there are two types of antibodies they test for: IgM (it means a recent infection, so ideally that would be negative) and IgG (it means an infection in the past, so that's great news for you). which one did you test positive for?

fenouil Sun 27-Aug-17 21:39:30

user1490790128.. how did it go? was it an old infection ??
im 15 weeks and waiting for an amnio... i tested positive, contracting it around 5 weeks... having been negative just before i fell pregnant.
would love to hear how you got on.. there are so few cases out there. i need some comfort. I hope all was fine for you .

user1490790128 Mon 28-Aug-17 09:22:09

So, it turns out I contracted it early on in pregnancy, I have been taking SPRIAMYCIN 2 tablets, 3 times a day since I was diagnosed. (3 months ago) I will have to take these until my baby is born.

Scans are the way to show any serious damage, if you have read about it you will be able to see that contracted early on in pregnancy means a significantly lower chance of passing onto the baby but can result in a far worse outcome if it does pass on.

I have been a terrified anxious wreck, there's nothing really that can ever 100 percent reassure you other than all my scans to date show a perfectly healthy baby. So I live in hope that she will be ok and regularly take my antibiotics which only hold a 25 % chance of preventing the infection spreading. Although, at this point I've been told the risk of transmission to the baby is between 5-15 percent. Which are pretty good stats!

I chose not to have an amniocentisis, it carries a risk of miscarriage and ontop on that doesn't state whether the baby is affected by the infection. It can show you if the baby is NOT infected.

Ps I have never owned a cat, I must have caught this through either salad/ veg not properly washed or undercooked meat (which I don't eat anyway!) it's crazy!!

Good luck to all,

I'm here if you wanna ask any questions x

Evernia Sat 18-Nov-17 14:09:04

Hi - I was wondering how things turned out for everyone? I am experiencing extreme amounts of stress and really hoping all went well for you and that your babies were born healthy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now