Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone used a sidecar cot post CS birth?

(18 Posts)
RebeccaNoodles Tue 30-May-17 12:20:54

HI everyone ... Bit of a niche query I know but I'd love some advice.

Have just found out I'll be having a CS at 39 weeks due to breech baby and other issues. One random thing worrying me is that we were planning to use a Chicco Next to me cot which obviously attaches to the bed on my side so I wouldn't be able to get out 'normally'! Was planning to just scootch down to get out, but I think I can't while recovering from CS ... I have had abdominal surgery before and I know that you really do have to roll out of bed for the first few days at least (rather than try and sit up etc).

Possibly definitely overthinking this but I'd love to know if anyone else has encountered this issue and how it worked out for you??

Thanks! smile

Whitelisbon Tue 30-May-17 12:26:06

Yeah, you'll not manage to scooch down the bed for a couple of weeks, you'll need to roll off the side, sorry. Can you stick it on the other side for the first wee while?

RebeccaNoodles Tue 30-May-17 12:38:54

Thanks Whitelisbon. Yes, I suppose we could and my DH could pass me the baby when she wakes and then I pass her back... kind of makes it much more awkward though in terms of putting her down to sleep after a feed etc.

I did wonder if we could put the brake on the cot, and just raise and lower the near wall when we need to - rather than having the cot actually tied to the bed??

I'm sure it will all work out - hope so anyway ...!

confused

Sweetpotatoaddict Tue 30-May-17 12:44:47

I did and it was fine, kind of pulled myself down the bed on my back then rolled on to side to put my legs over side and then sit up. Put it alongside while pregnant that should give you an idea whether it's doable.
Otherwise just put it on dp side for a bit.

Sweetpotatoaddict Tue 30-May-17 12:45:36

Should have said wasn't with a next to me though.

Triangularsquare Tue 30-May-17 12:46:13

I was in this situation a few months back and I don't think remember it being a problem. I think I just waited until DP was out of bed and rolled out of his side.

welshweasel Tue 30-May-17 12:46:47

I did and it was totally fine.

Erinys Tue 30-May-17 12:47:37

I had an emcs with ds. We put the cot on my side and I rolled out of dh's side to get up. Ds was either on the bed to be picked up once I was out or I walked around and lifted him out. It worked fine.

RebeccaNoodles Tue 30-May-17 13:24:58

Thanks all - Sweetpotato that's a good idea to practice while pregnant! Good to know that it worked out for everyone, I was wondering if there was some obvious plan B I was missing ...
thanks everyone for the reassurance brew

talulahbelle Tue 30-May-17 13:26:38

We've done this. I had a dressing gown cord tied to the end of the bed to help me pull myself down/off it.

RockCrushesLizard Tue 30-May-17 13:28:23

I did, and it was totally fine. No harder than without the cot!

ibuiltahomeforyou Tue 30-May-17 13:38:44

We put it on DH's side for the first couple of weeks and he just passed DD to me.

Then when he went back to work we moved it to my side.

Sparklyuggs Tue 30-May-17 14:01:25

Tallulah that's a great idea!

Lunalovepud Tue 30-May-17 15:52:49

I had a babybay then a next to me and a c section - I just scooched... Slower than I thought but still effective.
grin

EdgarAllenPoe Tue 30-May-17 16:00:45

I used a chicco next to me crib after my c-section. It was great as I could easily reach the baby while laying in bed.

True, getting out of bed was slightly more of a task, but I just shuffled down on my bum until the end of the bed . You're supposed to avoid twisting at first anyway. I was horribly unmaneuvrable after my section (my husband had to help me lift my legs in and out of our shower (over bath) for 2 weeks after!) but I managed it fine. Just take it slowly.

bellamcpoopants Tue 30-May-17 16:56:27

I had a Snuzpod attached to the bed; we just put it on dh's side and he passed her over for feeds and then settled her down afterwards. It worked so well that she stayed that side for six months! Not sure what we'll do this time as we're in a different room with not as much space at the side of the bed!

peanutbutter2409 Tue 30-May-17 16:59:02

I HIGHLY recommend a HALO Bassinest, it swivels so you can get out of bed normally and has features such as a light for feeding, vibration, nursery rhymes etc. It's been amazing and I've only just moved my son out of it at 7 months old.
www.halobassinest.com

kingfishergreen Tue 30-May-17 17:01:06

In some ways it was easier for me, because I could use it to lever myself up off the bed using the edge of the crib.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now