Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Irrational fear - trigger warning

(3 Posts)
Namechange2837 Tue 30-May-17 10:37:19

Okay I'm sorry if this upsets anyone, but it's getting so bad now I have to get it out.

I am pregnant and expecting a little girl, I'm over the moon and cannot wait for her arrival.

However, I have developed this completely irrational fear that she is going to be sexually abused. I have not been abused myself and I don't have any concerns that any of my friends and family have a bad bone in their bodies, but there are so many horror stories you hear about it happening to babies so young and I just want to protect her with my life.
I know how insane this sounds - other than this I am a very well rounded, rational and stable individual. I am not generally anxious and don't have any other phobias or worries about parenting really.
I just wanted to know if anyone else has these fears, are they "normal" or do I need o seek help?! I woke up from an awful nightmare last night that she had been abused and now I can't relax. It's awful and I feel like a wreck! Please help!

LapinR0se Tue 30-May-17 10:52:17

These are intrusive thoughts which are common with anxiety. It might be helpful for you to speak to a therapist to manage the thoughts

Lunalovepud Tue 30-May-17 10:58:03

Namechange2837 as lapin says, these sound very much like intrusive thoughts - please speak to your GP - I had some brilliant therapy for OCD when I was pregnant with DC1 and it really helped.

The thing with the therapy is that it will help you to understand that although there are things that it is natural and normal to fear and to want to protect your child from, they are not as common a threat as you think and the hyper-vigilance you are experiencing isn't necessary to keep your child safe.

Please see a GP - in a couple of short appointments you will feel so much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now