Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

"Morning" sickness at work

(25 Posts)
Rosehyd2 Mon 29-May-17 08:23:16

How do you cope? I'm 6+3 and the nausea is intense from the minute I wake up to the minute I eventually fall asleep.
I'm in an open plan office and dread going back tomorrow feeling like this, especially if it turns to actual vomiting.
How do you cope?

AnyFarrahFowler Mon 29-May-17 08:50:29

First of all flowers for you, because it's shit.

Second of all, I would keep some dry crackers or something on your desk, plus some very weak squash (things that worked for me) to try to keep it at bay. I found the sickness was worse when I had an empty stomach, so as horrible as it feels, you do need to eat something.
Try to take it easy, don't do too much physically, take deep breaths, and take breaks if you can to get a few breaths of fresh air. Is there a good colleague you could confide in who could help cover for you if you need to pop to the loo? I understand not wanting to tell anyone yet, but I was forced to at 6 weeks because I felt so dreadful, and she was amazing, supportive and discreet. Really helped when I "just needed to pop out"!

Thirdly, remember it will pass. With DS I felt like that for the whole of my first trimester (it was grim) but with DC2 I was feeling much better by week 8/9.

Good luck, and congratulations on your pregnancy!

owltrousers Mon 29-May-17 08:54:29

Peppermint tea is really good for settling your stomach, so if you can have a cup of that on the go every so often it might help you - it does me!

Also as poster said above, lots of little nibbles - nuts and crackers and small snacks help keep your tummy a bit happier.

ADuckNamedSplash Mon 29-May-17 08:54:49

Chewy sweets (Starburst, Fruitella, Chewits, etc) helped me keep nausea at bay at work. However, it might not be as bad as you think - I found the distraction of work helped me and I felt better there than I did just chilling at home.

Rosehyd2 Mon 29-May-17 09:16:34

Thank you all, you're all so kind. My mantra absolutely is it will pass, but for now all I want to do is sleep so I don't realise I feel sick.
I do have a very good work friend I can confide in, I know she'll be excellent cover if I need it.
I just really really hope I don't throw up in the open plan office before I've made it to the loo! blush

BrumKP Mon 29-May-17 09:25:59

@Rosehyd2 I am in exactly the same boat! My sickness started on Fri and I have been hideous ever since. I am dreading going back in, and to make things worse I work in recruitment, so have to interview people face to face confused. I am dreading having to run out mid interview and throw up! I will be using some of these tips - please let me know how you get on! Xxx

PamDooveOrangeJoof Mon 29-May-17 09:30:06

It's awful I feel for you. Yes don't have empty stomach. Lemonade and salt and vinegar crisps were great for me. Good luck

TheFabledSnake Mon 29-May-17 09:58:47

Sour things worked for me, like lemonade. Also sparkling water.

Hope you feel better flowers, I was just the same

Rosehyd2 Tue 30-May-17 07:09:17

Thanks everyone, I've stocked up on salty crisps, crackers, and fruit to snack on today. Will get myself a sugary fizzy drink later.
I commute by public transport so really really hoping the sickness doesn't actually kick in yet. Feeling nervous, hopefully a full day of meetings will be a distraction not a hindrance.

B1rdinthebush Tue 30-May-17 07:29:40

I had horrendous all day sickness until about 12 weeks when I was pregnant with my twins so I really sympathise. I actually stopped working at 9 weeks (freelance) because I just couldn't hack it.

I found that eating something before I even got out of bed really helped. I kept a box of Ritz crackers on my bedside table and had some before I got up which really helped. Then I just made sure I kept snacking throughout the day and drank lots of water and squash.

It's miserable but it will pass. I also agree that confiding in a colleague will help, I did and he was a lifesaver!

BabyHamster Tue 30-May-17 07:44:06

Sympathies! It's awful.

I found that ready salted crisps, hula hoops, Jacobs crackers, fruit pastilles, starburst, sprite and lemon squash helped a bit.

I also booked a few days leave, not as a block but the odd day here and there e.g. the Thursday one week, Wednesday the next etc.

If I'm honest, I think next time I'll get signed off for a couple of weeks if I need to. Unlike a PP I found the commute/being in the office made it worse and there were points where it was truly miserable. Don't struggle on if you're not coping.

MrsBosh Tue 30-May-17 08:13:56

I'm just heading into work nervously Rose after my sickness started on Saturday. I've found eating every hour helpful but I can't easily nip to the loo whenever. I might tell a colleague next week if it continues.
Good luck everyone going through it!

BikeRunSki Tue 30-May-17 08:25:07

Pregnancy sickness support

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 30-May-17 08:28:02

It's grim - so grim. I felt like I wanted to cry every day for the first 10 weeks with my DS. Hula hoops, lemonade and fizzy cola bottles, and you need to graze on them constantly.

BikeRunSki Tue 30-May-17 08:37:27

Does your employer know that your are pregnant? They can not penalise you for pregnancy related sick leave, if you need time off, smooth might be worth telling someone on a need-to-know basis only. It'll also give your employer an opportunity to do your pregnancy risk assessment.

YoureNotASausage Tue 30-May-17 09:31:00

Nibble nibble nibble. And yes to chewy sweets. Sometimes you just have to put one foot in front of the other. Head down till 12 weeks and hopefully it will start to ease off then.

Treesinbloom Tue 30-May-17 11:16:35

I told my manager at 8 weeks with DS1 cos I was just so sick (frequently had to get off the underground train to be sick then get on the next one). I didn't want him to think I was unmotivated.

I was sick for the whole 9 months both times.

I used to graze all day long. I just went into a supermarket and stood in front of the biscuits aisle (I craved sweet things) until something caught my fancy. With DS1 it was cookies. With DS2 it was chocolate digestives.

DS2 I couldn't announce my pregnancy until I was 5 months. So I took anti-sickness pills which meant I was only sick once a day.

When it was really really bad, I got signed off sick for a day or two. I really wish I'd done that more often actually. With hindsight I struggled on for no reason.

Oh and I often left a meeting to "get a document I need" so I could grab a biscuit. Morning meetings I used to eat during them claiming that I'd missed breakfast.

BrumKP Tue 30-May-17 13:53:38

Cheese sandwiches and crisps seem to be the way forward for me - I haven't stopped eating since I got up, in an attempt to combat the nausea! Hope you are all surviving today! Xxxflowers

Rosehyd2 Tue 30-May-17 16:36:40

Thanks for the great advice all, lemonade and crackers got me through today during and around meetings. The nausea has hit me now and I'm on my way home so timing isn't too bad (I'd rather that than in the office). Will definitely need to stock up on lemonade and nibbles though!

The thought of dinner makes me feel confused - I don't think I've had a cooked meal in five days, just lots of cereal and toast. Does anyone else find big meals, especially cooked ones, make them feel more sick?

Today I popped out of a meeting to "get my laptop" so I could eat some crackers.

TheFabledSnake Tue 30-May-17 20:14:55

I couldn't eat proper meals until the 2nd trimester. Vivid memories of finishing a roast and rushing to the loo right after!

I did also use those sickness bands and they did seem to help, but might have been a placebo.

Mustang27 Tue 30-May-17 21:15:59

Rose if your sickness and nausea does get worse there is a Hyperemesis support thread on here the girls are all really lovely and very helpful.

I'm keeping everything crossed it passes quickly for you.

MSH2010 Tue 30-May-17 21:37:31

Have some ginger nut biscuits in your draw

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 30-May-17 22:13:54

Really bland nursery food helps - I really only wanted mashed potato on the worst days but macaroni cheese was also something I could keep down.

mummabubs Wed 31-May-17 07:06:15

Bless you OP! I'm now 21 weeks and still being sick most mornings just after I get up, but the nausea has pretty much gone so it oddly doesn't bother me! (but I do remember weeks 6-14 being much more like you describe with constant nausea and the thought/smell of hot meals was enough to send me running to the loo). The only "hot" thing I could stomach was completely plain spaghetti with a tiny bit of salt on top- which I clung to for weeks! I also had to tell my employer at 7 weeks due to the nausea and they've been very understanding. Really hope it passes quickly for you xx

Rosehyd2 Thu 01-Jun-17 08:00:27

Thanks for all your experiences. I'm 7 weeks tomorrow and think I may need to tell them soon, possibly even today, as my nausea is so bad I feel like I can't function in a public place let alone an open plan office. No actual sickness yet though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now