Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sickness throughout pregnancy - how soon after birth will it stop?

(22 Posts)
ADuckNamedSplash Sun 28-May-17 18:15:42

I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my first child and have suffered with "morning" (hmm) sickness since 5 weeks. It's a lot better now than it was in the first trimester, but I'm still throwing up a couple of times per week and figure I'm stuck with this for the rest of the pregnancy.

My question, for anyone else who has experienced this, is how soon after birth can I expect the sickness to stop? I assume it will take a little while for my hormones to settle back down again - just want to know what to expect.

vickibee Sun 28-May-17 18:16:51

Immediately I am glad to say. I was ill for the whole 37 weeks and ate a huge cooked breakfast the next morning

ADuckNamedSplash Sun 28-May-17 19:44:42

Ooh, that's good to hear! Thanks!

TheBiscuitStrikesBack Sun 28-May-17 19:45:53

Straight away. He popped out and I immediately stopped throwing up.

fairiedemon Sun 28-May-17 19:46:52

Mine stopped immediately. Thank heavens after 33 weeks of hell. My teeth are wrecked!

cocopops88 Sun 28-May-17 20:03:24

I was sick almost every day whilst pregnant, really sick the morning I went into labour, but the next day it just went! The most amazing feeling!

ineedanewbody Sun 28-May-17 20:39:14

I was sick a couple of times after delivery but by the time I was in the post natal ward I was ravenous and stuffed my face with all sorts. It was so nice to feel normal again I was in a complete high for weeks!

Radishal Sun 28-May-17 20:39:57

Almost immediately grin

Friendlylightupbear Sun 28-May-17 20:43:29

Immediately! It was amazing! I was quite sick during labour, if the same happens to you then go straight in and ask for anti emetics. Sorry you're so poorly, i know it's horrible flowers

IndianaMoleWoman Sun 28-May-17 20:47:38

DD1 immediately, DD2 had her at 9pm, threw up all night then at dawn it vanished like some sort of miracle.

Only1scoop Sun 28-May-17 20:49:50

Bless you Op
I had dd by ELCS and literally was eating and drinking tea within an hour.
I was actually still throwing up on day of birth. Out of the car window on way to hospital. The relief that the sickness and nausea had gone actually made me cryblush

MargaretCabbage Sun 28-May-17 20:52:30

I was sick and suffered food aversions all the way through my first pregnancy. It disappeared immediately after my baby was born. Food never tasted so good!

Summerisdone Sun 28-May-17 21:04:16

Mine stopped pretty much immediately, I was sick non stop from 6/7 weeks right up to when I was in hospital and in labour.

I hadn't actually noticed not throwing up until DM asked me a few days late if it was still happening (in my defence it was last thing on my mind with a newborn), that's when I realised the last time I'd thrown up was a few hours before DS was born.

elliejjtiny Sun 28-May-17 21:09:17

Mine lasted longer each pregnancy. With dc5 the sickness and nausea lasted a few months after birth and I still get food aversions now (dc5 is nearly 3)

Namebot Sun 28-May-17 21:14:13

First pregnancy it stopped at birth ( although the pain meds made me a bit queasy).

Second time round it stopped but I had waves of nausea when breastfeeding. I understand that this is extremely rare though.

Oysterbabe Mon 29-May-17 07:10:17

Only 11 weeks and already excited about that post birth tea and toast grin

ADuckNamedSplash Mon 29-May-17 08:49:29

That sounds pretty conclusive - thanks everyone!

Ceto Mon 29-May-17 08:53:11

Both times I was sick once after giving birth, then that was it. The thing I remember appreciating most was a cup of tea, after 9 months of being unable to drink it.

Radishal Mon 29-May-17 14:11:27

I hated all fat and dairy during pregnancy- I love them. I was hospitalised with hyperemesis. I found a way to cope somehow and stopped throwing up at about 25 weeks.
After a traumatic birth, I saw vats of milky porridge in the post natal ward. That was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted. Dd was about 2 hours old.

FlapAttack88 Mon 29-May-17 15:12:28

Immediately smile

ThreeForAPound Mon 29-May-17 15:16:08

I had hyperemesis with my DC2. It eased a bit at 26 weeks-ish, but never truly went away for the entire pregnancy. Disappeared immediately after DD was born, I'm pleased to say. The day after she was born I had to a trace of nausea, I was ravenous and all food smelled delicious. Bliss!

ThreeForAPound Mon 29-May-17 15:16:21

no trace of nausea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now