Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Trying breast feeding looking for positives

(38 Posts)
HowToCopeeThroughPregnancy Sun 28-May-17 10:04:11

OK, I am due in 8 weeks with baby number 5. I have never breastfed, always said I would try it and then when it came to it chickened out. As this is our last baby I really want to try it. I just have so many worries and heard so many horror storied. Is it really that bad?

Orangedaisy Sun 28-May-17 10:06:43

Ime it's awful for about 6 weeks, then it's a doddle. If you really want to do it saddle in for a rough ride at the start (if you're lucky it might be fine for you) and don't plan anything at all apart from feeding. Make peace with others looking after the other dc while you feed.

pepecat Sun 28-May-17 10:09:42

Agree the first 6 weeks are hard and at times very painful! Be sure to seek out a bf support worker as both times I've found their guidance very helpful and assisted with latch issues. Once established, it is a doddle and so cheap and convenient!

DancingLedge Sun 28-May-17 10:12:13

Sometimes really easy right from the go get.

Other times, bit hard to get started, but sorts itself out .

So so easy once running smoothly. No expense on milk powder, no washing bottles or preparing, nothing to pack or get reheated when going out, instant- baby more or less instantly comforted and feeding- no waiting while bottle prepared.

Niggles at the beginning- good to have a really great source of expert help. I'd look for this before you need it, not be searching when. Sometimes just a few words over the phone can sort a problem. But bear in mind, you may not have any problems at all.

What is it you're nervous about?

TemporalUser5k Sun 28-May-17 10:12:23

First 6 weeks is hard with the long feeds but suddenly they get good at latching and feeds go from 45 minutes to 5 minutes.

Other plus points are less washing up, no waiting for bottles, can feed while walking about if you use a sling, less items to pack when going out, no running out of formula.

Also just because you feed them a bottle, doesn't mean you can't still breastfeed if you want to. DC was fed bottles as well from a few days old as I hadn't intended to feed for more than a few weeks and happily switches between bottle and nipple.

Eminybob Sun 28-May-17 10:12:29

No it's brilliant!
Of course some people struggle and it's their horror stories you hear. I was dreading it and assumed I would fail because of a friend who stuggled with it telling me how awful it is.
But I found it easy, convenient and best of all - free.
Don't let other people's experiences put you off.

FruitBadger Sun 28-May-17 10:12:50

It's really hard work at the beginning but once you've got the hang of it, it's much easier and a lot cheaper than formula too.

Lansinoh is your friend grin

LumpySpaceCow Sun 28-May-17 10:16:15

I've never found it awful - even with tongue ties - you just get on with it. I think it's easier than bottle feeding as more convenient, no bottles to make, sterilise etc. Watch videos of a good latch. Shouldn't be painful if good latch. Be prepared for them to feed more than a FF baby as they need to feed often to build up your milk supply and breast milk is easier to digest than formula and they only have little tummies. Get as much support as you can and maybe attend a breast feeding support group.

TemporalUser5k Sun 28-May-17 10:17:09

Forgot to mention nipple shields. It hurt so much initially and nipple shields really helped. Only downside is needing to wean baby off of them but found that removing them mid feed seemed to help over a few days and now we don't need them.

Rockspin Sun 28-May-17 10:19:04

Honestly it's been a breeze for me. I breastfed dd1 with no issues at all for either of us, and dd2 is a week old and it's been the same for her. No latching issues, both babies found the nipple during skin to skin after birth and fed straight away. On day 3 milk came in properly and a bit of swelling but I pumped the excess gently and eased the pressure, now on day 7 and no engorgement or nipple pain at all and dd only lost 150g at her 5 day check so I'm really happy. Plus it's just so so brilliant being able to feed on demand with no fuss or hassle and I use giant muslins from aden and anais to cover us while out and about.
You hear so many horror stories but for some of us lucky ones it is a breeze so give it a go!

BertieBotts Sun 28-May-17 10:19:46

I didn't find it hard at all. There was a little pain right in the beginning but it lasted about 10 seconds and only for the first week or so. You can always give it a go and if you don't like it, stop. It's also nor all or nothing. If you want to mix breast and bottle feeding, you can.

HowToCopeeThroughPregnancy Sun 28-May-17 10:20:35

So all I will need to pack is Lasinoh?Im nervous about bf in public

Elledouble Sun 28-May-17 10:21:12

It is hard at first - can be painful while you're getting established (try nipple shields if you need to - they'll stop your nipples getting any more damaged but it may still hurt).

Ignore anyone who says it shouldn't hurt.
Try to find a breastfeeding clinic or group - our local one was brilliant and they had HVs there to do the weighing too.
Get as much help as you can if you're struggling - even YouTube can really help (I used the nipple flip trick for ages).

Good luck smile

BertieBotts Sun 28-May-17 10:25:08

You can pack lamsinoh if you want but the midwives will probably have samples.

Breastfeeding in public is really no big deal at all. I never got a single comment. Start out in semi private places like a booth in a cafe, at a breastfeeding group or in the car, progress to in a corner somewhere with trusted friends/family and you'll soon find it becomes normal and you don't need to hide away. I honestly don't know where all these horror stories come from!

sauceyorange Sun 28-May-17 10:25:36

No problems here, was given loads of lansinoh and shields which I e never used. Just go to as many breastfeeding clinics and classes as you can pre and post birth until you find someone you trust who can help you if and when you need it.

BertieBotts Sun 28-May-17 10:27:01

I know a lot of people are talking about Shields here but it's important not to plan to use them. If it's a last resort okay but don't buy them and take them into hospital. In most cases they cause mire issues than they solve though they can be good if you can't bf any other way. Most people will never need them.

iwasbornaunicorn Sun 28-May-17 10:31:55

I'm sat feeding ds3 to sleep at the moment so much easier to settle them (I've BF all 3 mine) & the best tip I got was angle with the dangle, in other words angle the babies mouth whichever way your nipple points ( it's only when you look that you realise they aren't necessarily pointing straight out).
Make sure you get loads of advice/support from the midwife.
There's loads of Facebook groups as well including my favourite can I breastfeed in it which women post clothes they've found you can feed in.

DilysMoon Sun 28-May-17 10:47:28

I felt like you for dc1 and went straight to formula. Changed my mind with dc2 and bf for 6 months and dc3 is still bf at 2.5 years! Haven't had any problems and am so happy I tentatively gave it a go with dc2.

What I will say is I read as much as possible about the possible issues (mastitis, blocked ducts, sore nipples, thrush, cluster feeding etc) while I was pregnant so that I was aware of any signs of potential problems. I bought lansinoh cream and used it constantly for the first few weeks, never had a cracked nipple. Made sure I asked every single midwife or health visitor etc to check position and match even if they seemed busy. Get the numbers of your local bf support lines and groups together before the birth and have them on your phone in case you need them. Don't expect baby to feed every 3 hours or whatever routine similar to formula, they'll feed on demand which may seem daunting if you've been used to timed feeds but it's as it should be and once you get the hang of it it's a lot easier to manage (i found) especially when out and about.

Good luck, it's brilliant when it goes well. It was a much easier ride with dcs2&3 due to bf.

sleepingdragons Sun 28-May-17 11:01:52

The most important thing to do to help make those early days easier is to arm yourself with info abotu where to get help if you need it.

Shockingly, Health Visitors and GPs are NOT specially trained in BFing. They often give advice that's outdated or just plain wrong! Rates of diagnosis for conditions like tongut tie are poor - meaning women suffer on in pain thinking it can't be tongue tie as the Dr said it wasn't - when in fact the solution would be simple if only they'd had the correct diagnosis.

Good places to go for BFing advice:

- Mumsnet - you're here already, so you're a step ahead!

- Leche League Check if they have a meet up near you. Also they have a free helpline youc an call if you need advice - they were great when I called needing help

- You need to find where the BFing mums are near you, find a BFing meet through google or start a post here asking for recommendations in your area. Even if you don't actually contact them now, if you just find out where they are, if you find you need support later you know where to go

- www.kellymom.com has some good info and answers to common questions

sleepingdragons Sun 28-May-17 11:03:34

Sorry that link went a bit funny! Try this one

La Leche League

iwasbornaunicorn Sun 28-May-17 12:06:01

I definitely agree with what DilysMoon & sleepingdragons say about reading & health care professionals, I've been told some completely incorrect information a few times.

redexpat Sun 28-May-17 12:26:27

Dc1 it hurt for 12 weeks. Then it suddenly stopped. Dc would feed for 20 minutes each side so i got to see a lot of west wing.
Dc2 never hurt at all but wouldnt feed for longer than 10 minutes, so i barely made a dent in my netflix list.

BentleyBelly Sun 28-May-17 14:09:48

I loved it. Dd took to it really well and it was a bit sore for the first week but I slapped on loads of lansinoh and it was fine. Was so easy to just whip out a boob whenever they needed it and the baby weight fell off me. I'm really tight too and of course it is free!! I would definately give it a good go. Good luck!

stripeyboys Sun 28-May-17 15:19:08

I breast fed both my children until well past their second birthdays. I never found it at all painful or hard work. It can be a little time consuming, but you can read with another child, play a simple game such as cards or dominoes, supervise bath time etc while feeding.

I never needed any help from a professional. In fact, I never saw a midwife after DS 1's birth as he was in PICU for the first few months, so no professionals even saw me feed him.

It might be completely fine. As lots of other people have said here, there is help and advice out there for you if you need it.

There really is nothing to be afraid of, it is just you and your baby. Both you and your baby are doing this for the first time, so give yourselves time. Try different positions, cushions, try sitting in a chair, on the floor etc.

You will be grand. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, the birth and your lovely new baby

FeelingForSnow Sun 28-May-17 16:28:58

Hmm...I'm very surprised to see that many comments saying it's hard. I am either very lucky or they aren't wink.

My DC3 is now 2 weeks and apart from needing frequent feeds there is nothing hard about it at all. I breastfed my all children and it has need a wonderful experience.

I hope yours will be too. I cannot recommend it enough and mostly because of its convenience. It's always there, the right temperature, nothing to sterilise.

It's great!
I don't even know how to make a bottle.

Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now