Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First baby and cats

(7 Posts)
user1494685124 Sat 27-May-17 17:47:58

Does anyone have experience in introducing their cat(s) to their newborn baby? Any special advice?

Lulublu Sat 27-May-17 19:09:55

Our cats were a bit shocked when we bought our baby home as newborns are so noisy! They were a little scared of him at first and kept there distance for a few days so I made sure they had safe places to go. Gradually they got used to the idea but I kept them shut out of whatever room we were in for the first week and then only let them in when I was there for a quite a long time after. The health visitor suggested we get a cat net to put over the baby while he slept but we found we didn't needed it as we didn't leave him alone with them. One of them now loves him and the other still treats him with a great deal of suspicion (baby is now a toddler and likes to follow them about).

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sat 27-May-17 19:13:26

Babies =noise. .
You want see your cat for dust!!
Ds was crawling before dcats went anywhere near him!!
Ds 2.8 has 2 firm furry friends now though.

toadierocks Sat 27-May-17 20:15:10

Ours were not best pleased when we bought our DD home but they crept up and sniffed her a few times and then just kept a respectable distance. They still will leave the room if she's being very noisy or boisterous but it didn't take long for them to adjust. They all mix very well now. Very happy about the integration and by the time I had my DS at home, one was curled up with the midwife during the delivery. We have 3 cats and they of course all responded differently but just gently gently with the situation and all will be well. I think if you see it like introducing another cat, let them meet in a calm and controlled situation you'll be fine.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sat 27-May-17 20:18:05

My cats completely ignored DS. Any attempts at introduction got a withering look of disdain.

pancakesunday Sat 27-May-17 20:19:32

Our cat wasn't keen on our DS and largely due to the noise he made she couldn't handle it. She more or less lived in the Garden for 3 years and now she only comes in after he has gone to bed & goes out before he gets up. She does tolerate him a bit more now but her face suggests she's not happy about it!

user1494685124 Sun 28-May-17 19:10:00

Thank you guys! Sounds manageable to me. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now