Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What can I take to treat flu in pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
millsbynight Sat 27-May-17 14:10:07

Someone please help me!

I have a fever, headache, runny nose, and all my muscles are aching. I've gone off food completely and just want to sleep.

Lower back is hurting too which is worrying me about the pregnancy - I'm 8+6 and have already seen healthy heartbeat on baby but I don't know if the backache is flu related or pregnancy related.

I promised my best friend 6 weeks ago I'd babysit for 2 primary school age DC for her tonight so can't let her down.

What can I take to feel slightly human?!

PurpleDaisies Sat 27-May-17 14:11:21

If you've got proper flu, the last thing you should be doing is spending time near small children.

I'm sure your friend will appreciate you not passing it on.

PurpleDaisies Sat 27-May-17 14:12:45

Forgot, you can take paracetamol.

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2397.aspx?CategoryID=54

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-May-17 14:13:40

Take paracetamol and cancel babysitting- your friend will thank you for not inflicting your germs on them at half term.

Maggy74653 Sat 27-May-17 14:13:40

The only thing you can really have during pregnancy is paracetamol.

Also it would be a good idea to get the flu jab if you haven't already.

I'd let your friend know your ill, she may rather rearrange than end up with her children ill as well.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-May-17 14:13:57

Hope you feel better soon!

HVB79 Sat 27-May-17 14:17:56

Paracetamol and sleep sound like a good idea... I also used a drop or two of olbas oil in the shower but not sure if that is recommended. If you nose is bunged up you can do a steam treatment or use a saline spray but not decongestant. Hope you feel better soon!

AutumnalLeaves38 Sat 27-May-17 14:20:44

OP,

Afraid nothing useful to add, but I just wanted to say get well soon. flowers

And I agree, please cancel the babysitting for your and everyone else's sakes.
I'm sure your friend knows it's a genuine reason: if the situation were reversed, wouldn't you want her to rest up and recover?
(And to avoid passing it on to your kids).

AutumnalLeaves38 Sat 27-May-17 14:23:06

And try and keep the fluids up, even if sucking on ice cubes, in this heat x

Lj8893 Sat 27-May-17 14:24:38

If it's proper flu you won't be in any fit state to babysit, so I would cancel that. Your friend won't want her dc getting flu either.

Paracetamol is all you can have really.

millsbynight Sat 27-May-17 14:29:01

Thanks everyone.

It is proper flu - achy legs, can't keep eyes open, no appetite, lots of sweating and running a temperature.

I've called her to explain myself and she's upset but understands. I offered DH to go in my place which she agreed to (her kids know DH).

So top star for DH for stepping in! Thanks @AutumnalLeaves38 for the ice cubes tip - struggling to drink water and throwing up tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now