Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused about dates / measurements - pics of scan attached!

(7 Posts)
owltrousers Sat 27-May-17 12:24:56

Hello all,

Just wanted to check something really. From the date of my last AF my pregnancy is 8 weeks along however when I went to get my early scan today the sonographer said it looks more like 6.5 weeks. Is this because of my irregular cycles / ovulation could have been late? She said the baby was measuring 7mm, does that sound about right for 6.5 weeks?

We were going to tell our parents after the scan was done at 8 weeks, but now 6.5 seems a bit early!

owltrousers Sat 27-May-17 12:26:15

oops pic now attached

Maggy74653 Sat 27-May-17 12:29:35

Congratulations, did they see a heartbeat?

Sounds about right for 6 weeks to me.

owltrousers Sat 27-May-17 12:32:50

Can't believe I forgot to mention that, yes! She said a nice strong heartbeat and everything looking nice and well rounded.

skyofdiamonds Sat 27-May-17 12:36:25

It looks nowhere near an 8 week pregnancy from the image.
At 8 weeks limb buds start to form and you can see the diencephalon in the head. The stages of embryo development are quite pronounced week by week and easily seen on US.
The sonographer measured the fetal pole and gave you an approximation on this. No official EDD is done before 8 weeks as it isn't accurate.
You probably ovulated at a different time/ or don't have a 28 day cycle which is how LMP based EDD is worked out.

Maggy74653 Sat 27-May-17 12:40:47

As long as they see a heartbeat I would be happy with what they have said. I had a scan at 6 weeks and it looked very similar, I had one at 9 weeks and it was starting to look like a little wriggly baby. Everything looks good for 6 weeks to me grin

owltrousers Sun 28-May-17 09:13:55

Thank you everyone.

I'm very happy that its all going well in there, was so good to see the nice strong heartbeat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now