Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity clothes that don't make you look pregnant??

(14 Posts)
Alexandra07 Fri 26-May-17 20:41:06

Hi! I am 14w pregnant and I can still wear some of my dresses that are not tight around waist. I don't look pregnant in them and still people can't tell. I need new summer dresses for work that fit me and I will be able to use during summer. I ordered some maternity dresses from H&M and when I tried them I really look pregnant!! It's so obvious I am pregnant I am surprised! The focus is directly on my bump!

Is there a brand you recommend that wouldn't make me look as pregnant as I am?? I am size 12, if that makes a difference. Do I have any chances finding something??

ScarlettFreestone Fri 26-May-17 20:43:03

Maternity clothes focus on your bump because they need to stretch to accommodate your bump as it grows. There would be little point otherwise.

CatsCantFlyFast Fri 26-May-17 20:57:56

Anything maternity will make you look pregnant, even when you're not.

If you don't want to look pregnant you're going to need to avoid maternity clothes for a while. Maybe try empire waisted Dresses (ie tightest just under your boobs) or there's lots of loose summer dresses that have no waist at all that'll skim a small bump.

Alexandra07 Sat 27-May-17 08:53:32

Thank you for your comments! It's very helpful to know that I should look for normal clothes if I want to hide pregnancy for a bit longer!

Blossomdeary Sat 27-May-17 08:55:14

Why do you want to hide it and "not look pregnant" - you are pregnant! - I am losing the plot here!

imightneedsocks Sat 27-May-17 08:59:50

Why don't you want to look pregnant when you're pregnant?

<confused>

sauceyorange Sat 27-May-17 09:09:58

Just buy a bigger size, obviously. But - news flash! - you are pregnant. Other people will likely find out, you know.

Alexandra07 Sat 27-May-17 09:17:17

I would like to make sure everything is fine with baby's health before I share the news at work.

beccii161016 Sat 27-May-17 09:20:43

Completely understandable OP, it's up to you not anyone else when you want people to know about your pregnancy!

You can but a bigger size, I only went up one size but I did find they fit oddly. Tops would fit my bump okay but be baggy up top or trousers would fit the bottom part of my bump but the trousers will be baggy!

The best thing to do would be maybe to look for clothes that are supposed to be baggy like hoodies. Only issue being the summer weather!

welshweasel Sat 27-May-17 09:22:53

I wore empire line dresses in jersey material for work. I told them at 20 weeks and no one had guessed, and were surprised when I said how far gone I was. Thereafter I embraced the bump!

CormorantDevouringTime Sat 27-May-17 09:26:44

Buy cheap clothes in a larger size with no waists. At this point, it might be worth investing in clothes with elastic waists that will be useful in the six months post-natal when you're gradually returning to normal size. If you're planning on breast feeding then allow for larger boobs and go for skirts and tops rather than dresses to allow for access.

Sakura03 Sat 27-May-17 09:55:11

I'm nearly 16 weeks and have only told my manager at work not the rest of the team and ideally I don't want the rest to know until there is no way of hiding it. I'm bigger than you (size 14-16) and I got some size 14 tops in Evans in a pintuck style and some A-line style tops. They will be too big for you but you see lots these types of tops around and they can be paired with smart trousers. Can you wear tunic style dresses for work?

Lemond1fficult Sat 27-May-17 12:01:25

Try Monki - they have loads of a line smocks and smart oversize shirt dresses etc. Also tends to be cotton, or light viscose so nice and cool.

HariboFrenzy Sat 27-May-17 12:39:19

As pp said you need normal clothes, dresses without waists are good - like cami dresses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now