Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can we talk healthy eating??

(5 Posts)
FraggleRock77 Thu 25-May-17 17:49:26

I'm currently nearing 27 weeks, after much stress (cervical stitch/four weeks of bed rest). I'm starting to feel a little reassured that things are improving and i need to put down the haribo and think about healthy, not comfort eating! Meal ideas and inspiration needed??x

reetgood Thu 25-May-17 18:04:27

I am much earlier in the journey (8 weeks) and currently still in the 'whatever works' realm of slight nausea. But prior to this I'd been enjoying 6 months of no grains, low sugar, high fat diet. I'd lost 5lb and more inches and I was really enjoying it. I've been thrown a bit for a loop so far as I've never been fussy and I'm all over the place right now. I spent the day yesterday eating things made from wheat flour, which I've previously happily avoided.

I've got loads of recipes I could recommend though. What do you like, how much do you want to cook. I could live vicariously through you! At the moment, the breakfast I can deal with is 1 cup (american measure) greek yogurt with one cup fruit, topped with chopped nuts and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. If you use frozen berries it's a bit like icecream, if you used poached fruit its like those fage fruit pots.

I made these recently and they were great - chickpea flour (also called besan) is a good low GI substitute and you can freeze them. I suspect eating 4 in one setting like I did would probably negate some of the healthy.

I've been a bit 'huh?' about all the 'eat low fat' advice that seems to be aimed at eating healthily pregnancy. Studies show that sugar's more of a problem, and often 'low fat' alternatives are loaded with it.

Right now I've been trying to think of a low sugar ginger cordial solution. I am So Bored of my soft drinks options, which are pretty much sparkling water if you want to avoid sugar or sweeteners. Coconut water, sometimes.

reetgood Thu 25-May-17 18:05:06

ah, the link for the muffins eatreallivewell.com/2016/07/15/healthy-chickpea-flour-banana-muffins/

FraggleRock77 Thu 25-May-17 18:17:01

Me too! I'd lost 7lbs on the 5:2 diet, to then find out i was pregnant! Love the idea of frozen berries making it feel like ice cream. I've just found a prawn and butternut squash rice recipe, which is really low fat and looks bloody yummy! I'm going to start the day with Greek yogurt and fruit tomorrow. I will not eat toast covered in butter!!! I will not!!! Thanks for the muffin recipe, will take a look x

reetgood Thu 25-May-17 19:03:08

I'm finding it hard because previously when I craved something I'd be like 'yeah good one brain' and move on. But right now I feel like I'm giving the 'wants' more brain space because I'm pregnant and apparently that makes my random cravings more worthy of listening to.. also because I am just wanting to eat things that stop the nausea. If I get too hungry, I get nausea and then I'm reaaaally picky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now