Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan nothing visible

(13 Posts)
Cantamendusername Thu 25-May-17 14:12:43

I paid for a private scan as I have had a previous ectopic. The scan was today, an abdominal scan but nothing could be seen and they don't offer vaginal scans. They will be re-scanning in two weeks time.
I'm currently CD43 and think I ovulated around CD17/CD18.
Is it normal not to see anything so early on?

MyNameIsNotYourName Thu 25-May-17 14:19:45

It's possible that it could be too small for a normal scan. Would have been better for them to have done an internal one but as you said they don't offer that.
Good luck for your next scan, hopefully there will be something in there.

Thingymaboob Thu 25-May-17 14:22:57

By my calculations you should be 6 weeks. You should see a heart beat and a yolk sac. However, very difficult to scan reliably that early unless vaginal. I had a scan at 6 weeks and they couldn't see anything abdominally as I have a really retroverted uterus, but my vaginal scan showed everything.

Cantamendusername Thu 25-May-17 14:52:53

Thank you both for replying. @Thingymaboob Does a retroverted uterus make a difference to ultrasound? I have been told I have a retroverted uterus in the past. The good news is that there wasn't any evidence of fluid which is associated with an ectopic pregnancy so hopefully it is just too early.

BrumKP Thu 25-May-17 15:57:05

Hi! I have a retroverted uterus, and had a scan last week. They think I am 5-6 weeks - couldn't see anything with the ultrasound, but saw sac and yolk with an internal. Should still be slightly early for a heartbeat. Keeping everything crossed!

mysecret321 Thu 25-May-17 16:31:40

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2887883-Nothing-seen-on-the-scan

The above is my thread.as you can see I had a similar issue to the point I thought it was a phantom pregnancy but if you look further down there is also a 13w1d scan with a real baby 😂

sphinxster Thu 25-May-17 18:31:52

I had 7 week scans with both DS and DD.

With DS they picked up the yolk sac and heart beat straight away. With DD there was nothing, it made me feel sick. They did a blood test which showed hormones that indicated I was 7 weeks pregnant. 2 weeks later there she was! Maybe the sonographer was a bit rubbish or maybe DD had found somewhere to hide!!

Cantamendusername Wed 07-Jun-17 11:10:10

Had my rescan, nothing could be seen abdominally so agreed to scan vaginally. Couldn't find a heartbeat but measuring at 7 weeks 😢

AnUtterIdiot Wed 07-Jun-17 12:23:18

I think you're not guaranteed to see a heartbeat before 8 weeks - I'm pretty sure we waited previously until 8 weeks for that reason. Don't give up yet flowers

AnUtterIdiot Wed 07-Jun-17 12:24:13

Oh also they can hide. I had a scan yesterday and one of them kept going almost completely out of sight! That's at 10 weeks. Much easier for them to hide at 7 weeks.

Cantamendusername Wed 07-Jun-17 12:24:14

I have to be rescanned in a week again, should I hold out any hope or just give up? 😔

Cantamendusername Wed 07-Jun-17 12:28:52

I asked if it could still be too early but the sonographer was adamant that a heartbeat should be seen at 7 weeks. My LMP was 13/04 and I think I ovulated around 29/04-30/04

Cantamendusername Wed 07-Jun-17 13:41:37

Also looking at the paperwork they gave me they have written 'trans abdominal & tranvaginal. Visibility: Not optimum.
I think I'm just going to drive myself crazy until my next scan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now