Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scared

(7 Posts)
Presh1234 Thu 25-May-17 05:57:47

So I'm just over six weeks with first child. I have just been put on clexane injections because of past dvt (15 years ago, no predisposing factors). I have highly anxious tendencies anyway but my fear of having dvt has returned. I am convincing myself it is there. I'm reading all sorts of scenarios and to top it all off, a local lady has just died yesterday after developing a dvt which caused a heart attack after having an operation on her back! I'm so worried and scared I will form another one and have fatal consequences. I don't mind the self injections. I have had so many blood tests in past two weeks that surely something would have been picked up if something was present? What do you think? Any advice or reassurance?

Mustbeinsane1984 Thu 25-May-17 08:36:23

DVT is always a worry, I do sympathise with you. I have had numerous leg scans in this pregnancy due to varicose veins in my legs. I'm currently 36 weeks and apart from 3 days I had to take some blood thinners all is well. I have not been put on any injections as I am abroad it's not their policy. DVT can come on pretty quickly so apart from sleeping try and keep sort of active. If I were you I would carry on the injections as it will almost guarantee that you will not form a clot. I don't think you can detect a clot from a blood test but I could be wrong. I was thinking this when they kept sending me for scans here - why not just do a blood test...

Presh1234 Thu 25-May-17 09:05:57

Thanks for reply. I'm not in uk either but they seem to think I am low risk. Can't get it out of my head and because I'm focusing on it so much, I'm thinking about it and "feeling" more symptoms!

anxiousandpregnant Thu 25-May-17 09:59:43

It cant be detected in a blood test, they can test for blood clotting disorders etc. but as your pregnant they will most likely come back positive anyway, but that doesn't mean that your going to get DVT. As PP has said, keep active and drink lots and lots of water. Luckily your on the blood thinning injections so its very unlikely that anything will happen.

I'm going abroad in 4 weeks time for a small weekend away and my plane journey is 4.5 hours, im petrified that im going to develop one on the plane, its awful.

Presh1234 Thu 25-May-17 10:15:04

Thanks anxious. Yes I'm flying home in the summer too, 7hr 30 flight and I hate flying at the best of times!! I'm now reasoning that even IF there was something, the treatment would be the clexane injections anyway! Why oh why do I get myself so worked up about these things?!?!? 😳😳

anxiousandpregnant Thu 25-May-17 11:24:24

Exactly so the best thing you could be doing is taking the injections.

Try not to worry too much. I'm exactly the same as you though I worry myself silly over things that will probably never happen, but I'd rather be a worrier and be aware of the signs of something rather than not really care and overlook something important if that makes sense? Its just about getting the balance right, something which im yet to successfully do!

Mustbeinsane1984 Sat 27-May-17 19:43:01

If you are low risk then at least you have the injections. My gyne/ob said if I was on the injections I could fly around the world if I wanted so rest assured. I'm 36 weeks today and still cycling, although I'm feeling this will be my last week and I am taking it a lot slower than normal. It is averaging 30 deg here so staying super hydrated. I do get so tired but I force myself to get up and about out of fear that if I sit on my bum for a long period then I'm at risk of a clot sad Hope you are doing OK 🙂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now