Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Formula for hospital bag!?

(16 Posts)
mummy2pickle Wed 24-May-17 19:16:00

I am expecting dc2 in 6 weeks and thinking of what to put in hospital bag in way of formula.
I struggled the breastfeed with dd1 and heavily relied on hospital to supply ready made formula whilst in. This time I want to be prepared and independent in case the same struggles happen. I was thinking of buying the pack of 6 small sterilized ready made formula to take with me but then thought it may be cheaper to take a small bottle and sterilize at hospital if needed and a 89p ready made single formula bottle.

What did everyone else take with them? I want to have something with me so I feel in control this time. Obviously I will try breast feeding but this is just in case

LapinR0se Wed 24-May-17 19:21:23

I took the aptamil little bottles with the pre sterilised teats. I didn't need them in the end but I liked knowing I had them

Sunshinegirl82 Wed 24-May-17 20:32:29

I'd take the bottles with the ready sterilised teats if I were you, it's a bit of a faff to sterilise things on the ward especially in the middle of the night etc

Emma2803 Wed 24-May-17 20:56:51

Our hospital gives the little bottles with the teats. I think it would be very awkward to try and sterilise a bottle on the ward. If it was me I would just buy the little six pack.
I'll probably buy some for home this time, didn't know about them for last time til after lo was born

Trytowin Wed 24-May-17 21:36:05

My hospital made it quite clear that they will not provide milk. Hospital Midwife suggested a pack even if planning to bf because of this. Thought it was very helpful of her to mention. I was planning to anyway (she wouldn't know that)

Trytowin Wed 24-May-17 21:36:33

Oh and has to be readymade no making bottles allowed

Notyetthere Wed 24-May-17 22:08:30

I am also due about the same time as you and I have packed the aptimal 6 bottles with sterilised teats. I plan to breastfeed too but you never know.

Floridasunset Wed 24-May-17 22:48:45

I am unable to breastfeed so knew I would need some last time and will this time too. I took the pre packed ones with sterilised teats and they were really easy to use. Any that we had left over we used for the night feeds when we were first home as it meant no faffing making up bottles in the night

Eeeeek2 Wed 24-May-17 23:57:31

Unless you know where the facilities are to sterilise I'd take the 6 pack with teats. Sinks don't normally have plugs so hard to wash bottles probably I think.

WantingBaby1 Thu 25-May-17 12:52:14

I'm going to take the pre made pre sterilised ones too, just incase. Is there any difference between the cow and gate and aptamil ones? Theyre made by the same co but c&g are a fair bit cheaper in tesco.

AdmiralSirArchibald Thu 25-May-17 13:00:23

I took both the ones with teats and the ready made little bottles. The trouble with the previous sterilised ones is that a newborn is not going to take 70ml so loads is wasted. My hospital supplied fridge space and little bottles and two kinds of teats. A 200ml 90p bottle lasted more than four feeds to start with because they have so little.

welshweasel Thu 25-May-17 13:04:48

My hospital made a big deal about not providing milk or sterilising equipment and told everyone they had to provide their own. Once I'd had the baby they couldn't get formula into him quick enough. They even asked me which formula I wanted (I didn't have a clue) and provided the small bottles of ready made formula and disposable bottles and teats. They labled the bottles and kept them in the fridge as one bottle would do a few feeds. They even gave me some to take home as I'd planned to BF so didn't even have a steriliser or bottles yet.

If you can't BF for whatever reason they honestly won't let your baby starve so I wouldn't bother taking any.

Trytowin Thu 25-May-17 13:25:09

Tbh it is a waste but I have no other option for the hospital, the bumpf they gave me says that all opened bottles will have to be dumped after an hour regardless so thought the 75ml ones might do 2 feeds before being dumped. Undecided what 'brand' to go with though. I'm not bf and I know it's not good to chop and change milks so was thinking of going for the one that is most available (tubs for later) was looking at mamia as supposed to be good but also not close so would not want to run out iyswim. Have bought a few packs of their newborn nappies though!

cheeeekyavocado Thu 25-May-17 13:30:11

It depends what your hospital provides.

My hospital provides sterilised bottles in sealed plastic bags.
They have a fridge on the ward to store opened formula and labels to mark who it belongs to.
They just don't provide the formula.

So I took the cardboard cartons and poured it into the sterilised bottles.

If the hospital didn't provide the bottles I would have taken the bottles with teats included as sterilising my own bottles would have been difficult.

welshweasel Thu 25-May-17 14:18:28

All formula is pretty much the same. Pick whichever one you can get at your local shop. I'm not sure you can get mamia in ready made bottles though.

BringMeTea123 Thu 25-May-17 15:25:26

Definitely take the bottles with the pre sterilised teat. They will not allow power in hospital so ready made definitely best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now