Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Piles and embarrassment

(12 Posts)
BringMeTea123 Wed 24-May-17 15:09:10

No idea where to post this. Sorry if it's not in the right place. I developed piles while I was pregnant and they got about 100x worse when I actually delivered my baby. Now 7 months on I still have them! (Although I've not really done anything about it). I'm too embarrassed to go to the GP and get them out on display but I'm wary of over the counter (do they actually work) I tried anusol for a couple of days on and off not long after dc was born but didn't touch them and I didn't stick to the routine properly for how you are supposed to use it. Any advice or
Anyone else have the same and how did you treat it?

Creatureofthenight Wed 24-May-17 15:17:54

Get some otc stuff and follow the instructions properly. If still bad make appointment to see a GP. Embarrassing but certainly nothing they've not seen before!

SaneAsABoxOfFrogs Wed 24-May-17 15:21:10

Sorry, this isn't going to be what you want to hear but I was in exactly the same situation. I used anusol religiously from about 6 months after my son was born and they got a lot better, but never went away. A doctor I spoke to said they won't I do any surgical intervention until I am done having children as being pregnant puts too much pressure down there. I'm now pregnant with my second and they're worse than ever - labour's going to be tough on my poor bottom!

timethemnow Wed 24-May-17 15:28:59

Don't known if I'm any help really but I thought I'd comment as I'm in the same situation, except I've only a week left until my due date!

I don't know why I have been so embarrassed about my piles but I've had them since about 20ish weeks and had to get some otc stuff as they were so uncomfortable sad I ended up spending some time in hospital for monitoring and was put in a with a lady who just had her baby! Not that I was being nosey but I overheard her ask the midwife afterward for a prescription for something for her piles! Low and behold, the midwife was totally unfazed and told her she would get the doctor to give her a script for a pessary and cream as the cream alone generally won't sort it out after labour! The doctor even brought her around some to have then before she went home!

BringMeTea123 Wed 24-May-17 15:30:40

SaneAsABoxOfFrogs really? That's awful! I have days where they are really uncomfortable and bleed when passing (sorry for TMI) and painful. That's rubbish. Maybe some people are more prone to them? Labour and pushing defiantly makes them worse 👎🏼

picklemepopcorn Wed 24-May-17 15:56:53

Use the pessaries, own brand are fine, every time you poo and every morning (iirc).

It really does work, but you need to do it consistently. If it hasn't worked after the number of days in the leaflet, then go to GP.

RatherBeRiding Wed 24-May-17 16:01:52

Unlikely to improve till after delivery but in the meantime the OTC stuff is as good as anything you might be prescribed. You just have to use it religiously I'm afraid.

If you are still suffering post-birth please see your GP - honestly they see piles day in, day out, and won't care in the slightest!

BringMeTea123 Wed 24-May-17 16:07:16

RatherBeRiding I had my baby 7 months ago lol. I actually think labour made them a lot worse! They are better than they was as I use the toilet as soon as I feel the urge rather than waiting and constipation has really eased but can still be uncomfortable if stool is particularly hard and they still bleed.
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I'm definitely going to have a look in to over the counter treatment and see what happens!

teenybean Wed 24-May-17 23:36:38

I've got them terribly atm, can't get in to see a Dr (no appointments until mid June!) But my friend is a Dr, she told me to get the anusol suppositories & some fybogel, she said we need to poo at least once/twice a day, & the fybogel keeps you regular & soft (it's really helped me) & the suppositories have an anesthetic type in them, so to push the piles back up with lube & then to pop a suppository up too, mine have gotten loads better in the 3 days I've been doing what she said & I'm 36 weeks pregnant, so know they're not going away fully any time soon, but they have shrunk & don't hurt so much!

BringMeTea123 Thu 25-May-17 08:32:14

Thank you Teenybean! That's really helpful! Xx

Empireoftheclouds Thu 25-May-17 08:34:04

Why on earth have you suffered? Get some pessarries (your GP would prescribe exactly the same as yo can buy otc) and pop them in. Use cream externally if yo need to as well.

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-17 08:41:37

Mine never went away. I'm saving up money to pay for the THD procedure to get rid of them for good, it's NICE approved but so far it's available only privately here and since I'm a carer, I really can't take the time out needed for hemorrhoidectomy (stapling isn't recommended for my particular problem). I have a Grade IV prolapsed internal one that has thrombosed in the past. Talk about pain! I recommend getting a Smart Choice Feme pad ice pack, these are brilliant to ice the area. And wipes designed for piles. And using OTC stuff.

The GP can prescribe stronger stuff if they are still there after you've given birth and if you're not breastfeeding.

Be very proactive about pelvic floor exercises after birth, too!

Mine was the result of a swift delivery of DC2 but I was breastfeeding and by the time I could use stronger stuff that thing was here to stay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now