Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oblique baby at nearly 37 weeks-any experiences?

(13 Posts)
NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 24-May-17 10:46:06

I was in hospital yesterday, and it was noted baby was still in oblique position. She has been in this position every appointment for the past 6 weeks or so.

What will this mean for labour? Is this position dangerous for baby?

Anyone know/been in this position? (pardon the pun!)

Lj8893 Wed 24-May-17 10:49:14

For labour, unless baby moves in the cephalic (or even breech but that's possibly complicated too) labour will not progress and baby can not move down the birth canal in the oblique position.

Also, without trying to worry you, if your waters were to break with baby in oblique there is an increased risk of cord prolapse.

Hopefully baby will get into the right position for you soon! Has a plan been made or anything?

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 24-May-17 10:56:34

No plan has been made. I was in hospital for reduced movements, so it wasn't my regular midwife I saw.

She did say they'd need to check the babies position when in in labour. But having read up on it today, I'm not sure if that's leaving it a bit late? My previous labours have been quick too.

Shouldn't they be looking to scan or do something at this stage? confused

Lj8893 Wed 24-May-17 10:59:08

I think somebody needs to have a chat with you about the risk of cord prolapse. If your waters were to go suddenly, particularly in a gush, if cord prolapse were to happen it would an emergency situation but there would be little indication to yourself.

Other than that, there is little else they can do at this stage. But they should certainly have had a bigger discussion with you!

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 24-May-17 11:55:17

Seeing midwife on Friday. Hopefully baby will have moved by then but will discuss my concerns over baby's preference of oblique position then.

I agree a bigger discussion should have been had! I hadn't realised the implications as it wasn't mentioned!

chelle85 Wed 24-May-17 14:08:29

There are exercises you can do to assist in moving baby into a better position. Have a look at spinning babies website. Your midwife should be giving you more information on what you can do to get baby in a more favourable position

Lj8893 Wed 24-May-17 14:10:05

The spinning babies website is brilliant!

Bear2014 Wed 24-May-17 15:39:28

Not to alarm you but I'm surprised more interventions have not been discussed. My DD was oblique all the way through and this one currently is at 29 weeks, so I seem to be be prone to it! With DD they scanned me at 37 weeks and when it was found she was still oblique, they arranged for me to be admitted to hospital for observation at 38 weeks, while I waited for my elective CS date at 39 weeks. There is a small but real risk of cord prolapse as PP have said. I was told that if I suspected my waters had broken to get on my hands and knees stick my bum in the air and call an ambulance straight away.

I tried everything to get her to move between 34-38 weeks when I was admitted. All the exercises on the spinning babies website, bouncing on a birthing ball in the office, swimming and even doing hand stands on the bottom of the swimming pool. The little bugger would not budge an inch. Not that you want to be stuck in hospital, but I would definitely have a word with the MW about what your care plan should be if baby is still like that as your EDD approaches. Good luck!

NameChange30 Wed 24-May-17 15:44:16

Do the exercises on the Spinning Babies website, as PPs have suggested. You could also see an osteopath - one with experience in treating pregnant women - as they can help/encourage the baby to turn.

Bear2014 Wed 24-May-17 15:46:15

Something else that you could try is Moxibustion - this is done by an acupuncturist but using heat not needles, on the feet. Didn't work for me but it supposedly has a really good success rate.

cheeseknight Wed 24-May-17 16:13:37

Definitely ask for a detailed plan from your midwife on Friday.

My baby was transverse from early on, then MW said had turned head down. Turned out when my waters went and I was examined in hospital that baby was actually breech and bottom down! So I was rushed in for c section as labour was not progressing.

I was told if I stayed transverse that I would need extra scans and they could try to turn baby after 36 weeks to enable normal delivery.

BeyondHope Wed 24-May-17 16:32:17

My DS was transverse lie. He was breach for my whole pregnancy then I think he tried to turn and got stuck. My waters went in a huge gush at 34 weeks. Being early I was told to go to the hospital.

Once there I was scanned and when they saw baby was transverse it was emergency c section. The consultant told me he was very concerned about cord prolapse.

You definitely need a plan in place.

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 24-May-17 19:16:51

Thanks everyone.

I booked a private scan in the end for tonight. Baby has now moved back out of oblique to head down.

Not getting my hopes up too much, as I suspect she could go back just as easily again! Fingers crossed though.

I do think it was strange for the hospital do note her oblique position at this stage and proceed to do nothing.

If she's oblique at my next midwife appointment I will be more pushy if they just brush it off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now