Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First pregnancy

(14 Posts)
Icantthinkofastupidname Tue 23-May-17 20:47:53

Hi all,

Just done my first test tonight and it came back positive after trying since new year. Got a clear blue digital weeks indicator I'm saving for first wee tomorrow but I think I am 4wks+6. Phoned the Drs to get an appointment but the earliest was next Tuesday.

Apart from bloating and associated cramping and the odd queasy feeling when I'm hungry I haven't had any symptoms yet so it doesn't really feel real.

Anyway, after a quick google there is an absolute wealth of information available. But I was wondering if anyone has an tips, dos, don'ts etc to share with me. Still early days and I'm trying to keep calm. I seem to swing quickly form panicking it's all going to go wrong to getting carried away wondering what I need to put on my to buy list. I think I just need to chill out until I make it to 12 weeks. Those of you who have had early scans, is it through private companies?

Thanks smile

ChickenBhuna Tue 23-May-17 20:57:46

Hi OP , congratulations on your pregnancy.

Early scans are normally private and best done after seven weeks because you'll most likely see and hear a little heartbeat by then. I used My Ultra Baby and whilst they were very busy there and their set up isn't fancy , their sonographer was skillful and worth the £80 fee. I went at 8 weeks and he dated my pregnancy accurately.

I don't have much advice to offer but please do take folic acid , it's of vital importance in protecting your baby from NTDs like spina bifida. Eat well but don't overeat and look after yourself.

I hope you have a happy stress free pregnancy :-)

mrsbumblebees Tue 23-May-17 21:01:33

Just wanted to say congratulations and try not to worry, I know it's hard as I am a terrible worrier!!

If i could go back and do the first trimester again I would stay away from google and just look at the advice and guidance re: foods etc... on the NHS website - I definitely stressed myself out googling too much and ended up reading lots of confusing and conflicting advice!

I booked an appointment with my GP but apparently didn't need to - I should have booked straight in with the midwife so you might want to check if it is the same in your area. They don't do much at those early appointments though, they don't even confirm your pregnancy, just take your word for it!

Be kind to yourself and take things a day at a time, it feels like a long wait but you will get there! I didn't have an early scan so can't offer any advice there but I did have a reassurance scan at 18+5 today at BabyBond (in a Mothercare store) and they were very good.

Best of luck with everything, its a really exciting time!

Icantthinkofastupidname Tue 23-May-17 21:04:11

Thank you. I've got some cheap vitamins from wilko - www.wilko.com/family-planning/wilko-pregnancy-tablets-30pk/invt/0348322

Which I started taking on Saturday when I was 'late' enough to start wondering.

Are these vits sufficient? Don't really want to fork out for fancy ones if there's no need, plenty of other things I can save the money for!

ChickenBhuna Tue 23-May-17 21:07:18

I believe pregnancy vitamins are all much the same , as long as they contain 400mcg of folic acid and no vitamin A then they are as good as expensive pregnancare tablets. Asda do them too , £3 for 60 days which is good value.

mrsbumblebees Tue 23-May-17 21:09:40

Once you see the midwife they may well give you vitamins for free too which is handy smile - they do in my area in any case, not sure if this is the same everywhere?

arbrighton Tue 23-May-17 22:40:52

Do check if you actually need to see GP at all- it's self referral to midwives in our trust.

You do not need pregnancy vitamins. Just folic acid to 12 weeks and vit D. I've taken supermarket/ boots/ chemist own brand for each of these as separate tablets each day to 12 weeks then just carried on the vit D.

www.nhs.uk/news/2016/07July/Pages/Pregnancy-supplements-dont-help-just-take-vit-D-and-folic-acid.aspx

Icantthinkofastupidname Wed 24-May-17 18:22:54

Thanks everyone. I popped into the Drs on way home from work tonight and self referred to the midwife so cancelled my Drs appt for next week. Not sure when I'll expect to hear from them, I guess it'll be a couple of weeks yet.

Thanks for the info r.e. the vitamins. I'll probably just continue to take the wilko ones as they're pretty cheap and I like to know I'm getting the vits I need for my general health too, just incase sickness kicks in and I struggle to eat nourishing food!

Tea is going to be my biggest downfall, I usually drink a fair bit. Today I've got by on 2 cups. I switched my morning cup to an avocado and banana smoothie. That wasn't a fair trade sad but I don't want to cut out too many at work as people will get suspicious if I start to refuse tea when they offer it!

MissCookiee Wed 24-May-17 18:30:24

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm on my 3rd here currently 12 weeks. My advice to you is to embrace everyday. I love being pregnant and I always miss it after birth, it goes by ever so quick so although right now you're feeling as though you want to be further along (because I felt that way too) embrace every single day and remember what you have to look forward to within the next 9 months grin

ladybunnikins Wed 24-May-17 18:33:32

Congratulations! When you take your test tomorrow, please don't worry if it only says 2-3 weeks rather than 3+. Also, most decaf tea just doesn't taste the same as normal tea but I am currently using decaf earl grey which isn't too bad.

Thisyearistheone2017 Wed 24-May-17 19:01:42

No words of wisdom, but in the same boat at 4 weeks + 4 days (I think!)

I popped into the GP and was told I didn't need an appointment and have self referred to a midwife. The person I spoke to said the appointment is generally 8-10 weeks in.

I am also a tea lover and having tried decaf before, I would have said it was rubbish. However, if you want to splash out a little Twinings decaf tea is excellent! I only drink black tea, so there isn't any disguising it! I've actually found myself forgetting it is decaf!

SlB09 Wed 24-May-17 19:11:20

Congratulations! My advice is just to chill, take each day as it comes and don't totally change your lifestyle or what makes you you (unless of course very harmful to babe!).
Also its a rollercoaster of emotions and this is absolutely normal. You'll go through shock, happiness, wtf am I doing?!, can I cope, what if I don't like it the list goes on!! Be prepared to cry at random things, this is also absolutely normal and your not going crazy. For me I didn't really get any symptoms until 6-7 weeks.
Dont be worried if you dont hear from midwife or appointment isnt until after 8-10 weeks, to be honest first trimester there isnt alot to do other than 'book' you in and general checkover/ bloods.
Good luck xx

Icantthinkofastupidname Wed 24-May-17 19:17:23

Thank you all. Sorry I'm not sure how to tag names.

So far each day seems like an eternity haha. I have downloaded an app which gives you a little story each day so that's nice to read. Although yesterday's left me gutted as it said to avoid hot tubs and we have just bought a lay-z spa. Soooooo upset I'm not going to be able to use that in the summer sad.

I took the clear blue this morning and it did say 2-3, but that's what I was expecting as I wouldn't be 3+ until Friday I guess!

I'll try the decaf, thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak them in my cup at work with no one noticing smile. I am ok having 1-2 regular cups yeah? I only drink caffeinated fizzy drinks now and then (e.g if I'm out) very rarely have them in the house. Same with chocolate, only have a bar occasionally and do prefer jellies or chewy sweets anyway so probably won't pick up much caffeine anywhere else!

SlB09 Wed 24-May-17 19:29:46

4-6 cups of tea a day is fine depending on caffiene/how strong you have it. Up to 200mg daily (average tea 75mg) so dont fret!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now