Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough vaccine 35 weeks pregnant 2017

(24 Posts)
MtB26 Tue 23-May-17 20:20:05

I am 35 weeks pregnant and have debated whether to get the whooping cough vaccine since I was offered it at 20 weeks after my scan. My gut instinct was that I wanted to do my own research before making a decision. Looking online has confused me even more- hence my dilemma! Some people have said they had it and their babies were fine, others have sadly had stillbirths and think that the vaccine may have had something to do with it. Very worried and confusedconfused. On one hand if I have it and something happens to my unborn baby I would regret it... but if I don't and my baby gets whooping cough I would be equally devastated and wish I had just had it. Has anyone had the jab this late in pregnancy? Was your baby ok? Any feedback would be appreciated.

arbrighton Tue 23-May-17 22:48:03

A friend's baby had whooping cough. He could have died and was intensive care for several days.

I had it at 22 weeks. Baby still currently fine at 32 weeks. You will always find horror stories if you google things like this but remember they are the rare exceptions and many many more women and babies are fine.

MtB26 Tue 23-May-17 23:17:03

Thanks for your reply smile I have friends who have had it and heir babies have also been fine.

I completely agree with you, I think I've just over thought it and made myself worry- especially as a first time Mum. I just want to do what's best for my baby. I am still anxious about it and I don't think I'll be 100% comfortable either way, but swaying towards having the jab.

muffinwaggon Tue 23-May-17 23:20:33

I had it done when it was offered to me (was around 21 weeks at the doctors) as I thought it was for the best.

There's always going to be a risk with anything. I don't know if it makes a difference having it later on.

Hope everything is okay with your baby x

Applesandpears23 Tue 23-May-17 23:22:34

I have had it with both babies. If you don't get it then get anyone who will look after baby vaccinated (probably need to do this privately). Get vaccinated yourself after baby is born and keep baby at home or in outside spaces until they are old enough to be vaccinated themselves.

fuzzywuzzy Tue 23-May-17 23:26:16

I had it around 25weeks I think. Baby fine I'm currently 39 weeks.

Double check if the immunity will pass to your baby at this stage of your pregnancy, because I think there's a time limit within which to take the vaccine to benefit your baby, after that the immunity doesn't pass to baby as there's not enough time or something.

MtB26 Tue 23-May-17 23:44:18

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I asked the midwife at the hospital and she said it takes atleast 2 weeks for the antibodies to transfer to the baby. So hopefully (unless I give birth early) there is still time.
I did mention to my partner and parents about them getting vaccinated too. They looked at me like I was crazy and said they haven't heard of anyone doing that. It annoyed me to be honest Cz I think they think I'm completely over reacting. Maybe I am, but I can't see why they would be so awkward when it's something as serious as the baby's health.

Applesandpears23 Wed 24-May-17 07:31:39

I got my partner to get vaccinated privately (he was happy to go but asked me to ring around and find a private doctor who would do it) because in countries like Australia they vaccinate all the close relatives.

RoseAndRose Wed 24-May-17 07:56:10

There has been no increase in the numbers of babies stillborn. Yes, stillbirths occur, in both the cpvaccinat d and unvaccinated communities with no detectable difference in frequency.

This jab has been offered to pregnant women in scores of countries for the last 5 years or so, and there has been no increase in the number of stillbirths.

14 babies too young to vaccinate died of whooping cough in Britain in 2012, and there have been deaths in subsequent years.

Lunalovepud Wed 24-May-17 08:01:36

Hi op,

Here is a link to the safety of the vaccine in pregnancy...there is alright loads of info on the NHS website for reassurance.

I've had the vaccine in both pregnancies... Still pg with DC2 but can be confirm that DC1 has the right number of fingers and toes, one head and is as normal as a child could be, considering his genetics. wink

www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g4219

MtB26 Wed 24-May-17 09:06:53

Thanks for the comments everyone they have been really reassuring. I think I just worry that I don't want anything to jeopardise the pregnancy especially at such a late stage- he is a very longed for baby (as most babies are) smile I just want to make a decision that I'm comfortable with. I think having the jab is the right thing to do, I just wish I didn't have to have it during pregnancy- I don't even like taking paracetamol lol xx

raviolidreaming Wed 24-May-17 10:38:00

I did mention to my partner and parents about them getting vaccinated too. They looked at me like I was crazy and said they haven't heard of anyone doing that

I haven't heard of anyone doing this either, but because everyone I know had the whooping cough vaccine.

As far as I'm concerned, the anti-vax movement is terrifying and dangerous.

MtB26 Wed 24-May-17 12:10:13

I'm not anti-vax. My baby will be getting all of his vaccinations at 8 weeks old.

What I am concerned about is having vaccinations during pregnancy as the vaccine is fairly new and wasn't originally designed for use in pregnant women.

MtB26 Wed 24-May-17 12:12:58

Also, I was told that the vaccine during pregnancy doesn't guarantee that your baby won't get whooping cough if someone they come into contact with has it.
Therefore surely if adults that will have close contact with the baby were up to date with their vaccines this would offer the baby more protection, regardless of whether I had the jab during pregnancy or not?

BlahBlahBlahEtc Wed 24-May-17 12:17:58

I had the vaccine and me and baby were fine, I did see a tiny baby with whooping cough once, he almost died the poor thing. Whooping cough cases have been rising sharply since 2012 / 2013 ish, my personal view would be to not risk it and get the vaccine.

Lunalovepud Wed 24-May-17 12:43:23

MtB26 the idea of having the jab in pregnancy as I am sure you already know, is that some of the antibodies that you produce in reaction to the shot will cross the placenta to the baby and last until they are old enough to get their own shots at 8 weeks, in the same way as they have your immunity to measles, chickenpox etc for varying periods of time after birth.

No vaccination / medication is 100% effective so there is a guarantee that you or your baby won't get the illness, it does usually ensure though that the symptoms and seriousness of the illness is greatly reduced. If other adults who are going to be around the baby get their boosters it can only help.

MtB26 Wed 24-May-17 12:57:42

I totally agree with you, some protection is definitely better than nothing which is why I don't want to not get vaccinated.

I am aware that the reason the vaccine is given during pregnancy is to pass antibodies to the unborn baby to give them the extra protection.
My concern in the first place was that it's still medication that is being objected into your body during pregnancy. With any medication- people's bodies react differently for varying reasons, which is why I wondered if anyone has had the vaccination at such a late stage in pregnancy.

I am so glad so many people have had a positive experience with this vaccine and now have the peace of mind that they have protected their unborn babies smile
While I still have a niggling doubt at the back of my mind, it has definitely given me some reassurance. Thanks everyone x

arbrighton Wed 24-May-17 20:21:30

Nothing is 'designed' for use in pregnant women or tested on them. Ethical guidelines won't allow that now

ShyTallSun Wed 24-May-17 20:30:24

I was offered the whooping cough vaccine and eventually had it as late as they allow. Figured safer to get the vaccine than risk a newborn contracting whooping cough. Also wanted to be certain more or less all fetal development had occurred just in case of any side effects from the vaccine interrupting 'fetal' development. Took the same approach with second pregnancy and have 2 lovely, healthy young boys.

MtB26 Wed 24-May-17 21:14:19

Exactly that is my point lol. Whatever the reasons for it not being tested- it is just that 'not tested'.
I'm not saying it's harmful, in fact I've decided to have it next week after speaking to a lovely midwife who is pregnant and has had it herself (she actually decided against it in her first pregnancy as it was so new and she wanted to wait and see if any ill effects were reported) ... But excuse me for being cautious with what I inject into my body while pregnant without a second thought.

MtB26 Wed 24-May-17 21:19:47

Thanks ShyTallSun smile that's the approach I'm taking with it too. Congratulations on your 2 lovely boys. How many weeks pregnant were you when you had the vaccine? I'll be 36 weeks X

ShyTallSun Wed 24-May-17 22:19:37

First time I was close to 38 weeks.....much to my midwife's horror! Second time I had it a little earlier at around 36 weeks. By pure luck, the jabs were 4 weeks before either baby made their grand entrance into the world, though I can't recommend being 42 weeks pregnant!
I think 36 weeks is a good time to get the jab....good luck :-)

Badgerbird Thu 25-May-17 16:44:00

Hi op I had mine about 35/36 weeks. I would have had it earlier but like you was worried. In fact first time I turned up I burst into tears saying I was worried I was going to hurt my baby. The nurse was fab and sent me off with leaflets and just saying that I could come next week if I decided to go ahead.
I had already decided to go ahead, it's just 1 of a million decisions we are going to have to make for our little ones based on the information that we have.
I went back the week after and had jab and glad that I did, it feels like the right thing to do. Due tomorrow.
Good luck smile

MtB26 Fri 26-May-17 22:29:53

Thank you ShyTallSun & Badgerbird a lot of the things you have both said sound like it was me typing lol. It's good to know im not the only one who struggled to make a decision- thanks for your lovely positive stories smile good luck BadgerBird! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now