Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

C-section or induction? Advice!

(28 Posts)
A2014 Tue 23-May-17 16:03:53

I'm at 35 weeks at the moment and due to some health issues (me not the baby thank goodness) they've said I need to be induced at 38 weeks. Fairly terrified of induction as I had one previously that took 6 days and ended up becoming an emergency and nearly having a c-section anyway.

Please share experiences of both! I'm going a bit crazy reading and trying to decide if I should just push for a c-section as last time the whole thing was not only prolonged and traumatic but having an emergency unplanned section is the scariest option of all!

Thank you!

oliversmummy26 Tue 23-May-17 16:36:56

Not quite the same situation, but similar I think, so can share my experience with you...

I was induced with my son at 40+7 as he was measuring big for dates. 36 hours after the beginning of the induction process I was whisked through for an emergency section as he was stuck and in distress...

I'm now pregnant again and have the choice of VBAC or planned section, I'm going to push for the section as I am so scared of the same thing happening again and ending up with an emergency section. They won't induce me as I've had a previous section, but I worry about another big baby and the same happening again.

To be honest I really didn't mind the section and recovery was pretty good, I was up as soon as they took the catheter out 12 hours after op and was home the next day. I did get an infection in my scar but I think that's because I did too much too soon - walking for over an hour pushing the pushchair at about 2 weeks!

So if you can take it easy and they'll let you have an ELCS, I would suggest going for that. I'm told the recovery from a planned section is much better than an emergency as you're not exhausted from a long labour.

vfoster Tue 23-May-17 16:43:00

Hello! I was induced at 40 weeks with my first due to polyhydrominos. 4 days later I ended up with an emergency c section. This time my consultant has said I can choose whichever I want but would reccommend a section. I'm only 33 weeks so have a few weeks before the appointment in which I need to decide but pretty sure I'll take the section as baby is measuring at about the 90th centile.
I'm not sure if this is true as I've only heard anecdotal eve offence but I don't think you can have a 'traditional' induction after c section so you would have to have the balloon method. Not sure of that would influence your decision.
I'm sure I've read somewhere that a previous c section should mean you are offered an elective one the next time round?

vfoster Tue 23-May-17 16:44:01

Evidence....not eve offence!

A2014 Tue 23-May-17 18:55:49

I didn't have a c-section the first time round. I had an emergency delivery in theatre with forecseps (was a 50/50 scenario). I was exhausted that's for sure. Waters had broken over 2.5 days before and no room on the labour ward. Had the syntosin drip for over 5 hours before an epidural (which didn't work properly and had to be removed and replaced for a spinal when I became an emergency!) was administered.

I said I really didn't want an induction this time round but I'm not being given a lot of information about c-sections. Just saying that it'll be more dangerous for me and the baby and it's really stressing me out!!

vfoster Tue 23-May-17 19:49:05

Ahh, sorry misread your post!
Are you under a consultant at all? It might be worth asking them or your midwife about a section. I've read lots of posts on here about it and according to them your mental wellbeing is considered a medical reason for a planned section.
Sorry I couldn't help more, good luck!

DuggeeHugs Tue 23-May-17 20:57:01

I was induced first time and had an EMCS after 5 days. I wish I'd known that you are allowed to refuse an induction, but I was a naive first-timer and went along with something I wasn't happy with because I thought I had to.

This time I'm going for an ELCS. My trust is very pro-VB and I had quite a disagreement with my consultant at our first appointment. I researched the risks myself and found that, on balance, I'm happier with the CS risks.

It's worth noting that the NICE guidelines allow for CS due to maternal choice. The link is here:
Section 1.2.9 is the relevant one if you want to go down the CS route.

A2014 Tue 23-May-17 23:07:02

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Yes I'm feeling the exact same way Duggee. First time round really didn't know what was going to happen. Second time round I'm feeling a bit railroaded. There is a massive amount of pressure for a VB and I don't really understand why! How was your recovery post section?

DeanKoontz Tue 23-May-17 23:13:26

I had an emergency section with dc1, then a planned section with dc2.

Planned section was great. Dp with me the whole time, baby put straight on my chest, quick recovery (driving within 3 weeks). No problems lifting baby or b/feeding. I would recommend it to anyone. I was very nervous about the spinal, but didn't feel a thing!

If men had babies, every birth would be a planned section.

DuggeeHugs Tue 23-May-17 23:52:49

A2014 the pressure for VB is huge and causes so much stress. I wish staff would understand that women know choosing a birth method is a bit more serious than choosing between buttons and smarties and that we take it seriously!

My recovery was ok. I just took my time and felt completely back to normal within 6 weeks. This time I'm accepting more offers of support as DS will be nearly 2 and needs more physical input than is realistic in the first couple of weeks.

I hope they start listening to you soon - it shouldn't be this hard flowers

Humm1ngb1rd Wed 24-May-17 01:51:52

Induction here for dd1 at 40+11. 3 days later had c-section. PTSD. Pushed for a planned c-section at 40+10 for dd2 - it was such a relief and so much better than 1st c-section. I have no doubt what I would be

Lunalovepud Wed 24-May-17 08:12:56

If you want an ELCS, you should be able to get one. It's your body - you decide.

I hate this whole pressure to vbac - I had a section with DC1 and was offered vbac and ELCS with DC2, both options on the table with risks etc for me to decide from my first consultant appointment which is as it should be.

I have opted for an ELCS because it suits myself circumstances and medical history best. You should have the same choice. If you don't, ask to see another consultant.

Good luck with everything.

RyanStartedTheFire Wed 24-May-17 08:15:42

As someone who had two 4 hour inductions at 38 weeks I'd say to go for the c section unless you are really favourable close to the date. I would judge it all from the Bishops Score they give you, but if it wasn't favourable I would go for the c section. Both my inductions started with unfavourable bishops scores but my body just clicks with induction and goes into labour itself, if you aren't favourable I wouldn't imagine the induction would go much differently than the last.

RyanStartedTheFire Wed 24-May-17 08:16:49

Do you remember your bishops score from the first time around?

Mrsknackered Wed 24-May-17 08:20:06

My first induction didn't end in C - Section but did end in very bad tearing, PPH and DS1 in bad shape.
My second baby was also induced and after 10 hours of active labour (and my cervix was completely closed to begin with so did take a while for contractions to start with pessaries and then the drip) it was actually a really positive birth, during it I thought I was going to die but felt right as rain as soon as he was born, was absolutely nothing like the first time round.
I'd say go for it smile

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-May-17 08:25:55

I was induced at 39.3 as over 40 with first baby and ivf and risk of stillborn if go over 40w

TBH it was hell. Baby was not ready to come out. Had 24hr pessery then 2 x 6hr ones

Having pesseries shoved up you (as you know) isn't. Ice and bloody painful

I had contractions from a few hours of 24 pesseries inserted but didn't dilate

Huge painful ones that after 48hrs assumed I must have dilated loads and nothing

They broke my waters when a few cm dilated whixb was painful and uncomfortable tho that did speed up labour and daughter born 3ish hrs later - now tue evening. I went in 8am Sunday morning and induced by 9am so 60ish hours in all

Tho placenta didn't come away wbs rushed off to surgery and oostnoots of blood and 3 blood transfusions - which meant I literally had a 5min cuddle skin to skin cuddle then away from dd for 3hrs tho she had skin to skin with daddy

Def not having no 2 !!

In your case I would insist on a cs

Babies under 40w don't want to come out if induced

Diff if 42w ish

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-May-17 08:27:46

And yes I tore badly and first 4w or so was sore and bleeding lots

now at 8w after birth still tender down there tho def better then was

A2014 Wed 24-May-17 10:45:42

Thanks for the support guys.

No idea what my Bishops Score was first time round but induction began at 37+2, had 2 pessaries (ouch), waters broke but then everything stopped because the pessary fell out. Fast forward 2.5 days later I was getting contractions every 15-20 minutes and worrying crazy amounts about infection risk. Eventually then moved to the labour ward, etc...

Sounds like from your experiences it wasn't anything unusual! Anecdotally it's the same amongst friends who have also been induced.

I am going to ask the hospital for another appointment with the obstetrician and the consultant midwife. She shut down any conversation about c-section and told me essentially I would be refused without further information. I think the least they could do is talk me through why they think induction is preferable. I'm mainly fuming because I was totally unprepared for the decision she sat there in semi-shock. They said the appointment was to talk through the previous birth and go through why it's unlikely to happen again hmm not sure that worked out so well, haha!

Recovery from a section worries me slightly as I have a (very) active toddler running around and taking care of a newborn is hard work alone. I do think being totally depleted on a pre-labour ward isn't such a better option though. And the fact you guys are saying ELCS is a calm environment makes it SO much better!

DuggeeHugs Wed 24-May-17 11:28:48

If you get no luck with her, you can request to see the supervisor of midwives. I was also advised by MN to chat to PALS too if I was still being ignored. Good luck smile

Cel982 Wed 24-May-17 17:34:46

She is absolutely not within her rights to refuse you, that's a breach of the NICE guidelines (which someone posted above). You could print out a copy to bring with you to your next appointment.

Mrsknackered Wed 24-May-17 19:47:45

Blondes I don't think that's particularly true. DS1 was induced at 42 + 1 just because he was overdue and still took days.
DS2 was induced at 38 weeks and was fast.

Anzura Wed 24-May-17 19:51:15

I went through an induction that went horribly wrong. My son released meconium from the stress so we needed and emergency cesarean to save him and clean me as well. I suspect this is why I'm not getting pregnant, had miscarriage since too. I am thinking straight to a call csearean would be best bet. Best wishes!!!

Herewegogo Wed 24-May-17 19:55:34

I was induced and had an emergency section 24 hours later after pushing for 6 hours so had the worst of all options really! Baby was almost out several times but kept disappearing again so eventually was told I had to have a section, but still had a lot of discomfort after because of the pushing.

I found the recovery really hard because I had absolutely no idea what happened after sections and noone in the hospital told me anything before or after. I couldn't walk very well for about a week and I had difficulties with the catheter. I was also in too much pain to breastfeed and had very little help from the midwives. The second night in hospital, the baby was screaming and my blood pressure kept going high but noone seemed bothered, and I just found the whole experience really difficult.

I realise that hasn't been hugely helpful sorry!

Chickpearocker Wed 24-May-17 20:01:09

Please remember OP that when you start threads like this you may get a skewed response and a lot of horror stories. Please speak to your consultant they should be able to talk you through the risks of each and give you an idea of what might happen. You can't really go by other people's experiences because really most people who have 2 or more children have completely different experiences each time imo.

Neither option is the easy way out and neither is risk free for you or baby.

Mildpanic Wed 24-May-17 20:12:01

I had an emergency section with 1st. 2nd I requested a section and was surprised at the positive response from the consultant who said absolutely within your rights and justifiable. Community midwife had been very dismissive of my choice hence my surprise at the yes ok.
3rd there wasn't really an option. I was expected to have a section. I actually went into labour prior to the scheduled section date, laboured all day, bit of choice as well as theatre busy. Nothing was happening so had another emergency section. I really think the planned section is so much more favourable in terms of recovery. It is all a bit surreal however the same conclusion at the end of the day. I coped each time, it was just my dh who was put through the mill with worry.
At the end of the day it really is personal preference.. do you really want to pursue the chance to have a vaginal birth or do you want to have a bit of forward panning? There is no right or wrong, just what works for you!
By the way I am also a midwife myself if that helps?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: