Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Depressed :(

(12 Posts)
Dede124 Mon 22-May-17 19:01:33

So I took the plunge and called the midwife team today to let them know how I have been feeling, I have told her Iv been feeling low for weeks but I have just been waiting to see if it passes but it hasn't and I'm 20 weeks now. From the moment I wake up I just feel so low and can't function properly throughout the day it's such a drag and I could burst into tears at any moment. Some days I feel More positive than others but majority of the time I just feel numb. The midwife told me to self refer for counselling which I have now done and she said she was going to get my midwife to give me a call at some point but what I'm worried about is whether they would get social services involved after iv had the baby for feeling depressed or unhappy ?? I love this baby and feel an overwhelming sense of protection I just feel confused and out of control with my feelings and so guilty for feeling like this because I should be so happy and I want to feel a stronger bond!
OH doesn't understand at all he thinks I should be so happy and doesn't understand what there is to feel depressed about which is annoying. I feel so bad for not feeling the excitement that everyone else feels and I'm avoiding phone calls and seeing friends and family because I'm sick of acting false pretending to be excited all the time and the questions do my head in!
Prior to pregnancy I was taking 10mg of citrolopram but weened myself off as soon as I found out (the withdrawal was horrible) I'm thinking I maybe shouldn't have come of them but I was worried about the risk and I thought my mood would lift anyway so didn't
Think I would need them anymore. Can anyone advise on what I should do? 😔
Thanks for reading x

ColourfulOrangex Mon 22-May-17 19:15:34

I haven't been in this position myself so not 100% sure but I can't see social services getting involved unless you were severely depressed and thinking of harming yourself or the baby which from your post it doesn't seem the case

Remember you have tons more emotions running through your body at the minute so you are going to feel up and down constantly

Well done for contacting the midwife though as they can only support you if they know what's happening flowers

Herbie22 Mon 22-May-17 19:19:24

I have been in that position and you really really don't need to worry about social services. Well done for being honest with yourself and your midwife. That's the hardest part.
Pregnancy is bloody hard and nine months is a long time but it isn't forever.

Herbie22 Mon 22-May-17 19:23:58

Also speak to your doctor about medication. I'm on one appropriate for pregnancy and breastfeeding but obviously it's your personal decision. I needed some medical support to get me through.

Dede124 Mon 22-May-17 20:47:42

Thanks @ColourfulOrangex and thanks @Herbie22 that's good to know, I think I am going to suggest medication I feel like it's the only option I don't see how therapy will help to be honest x

arbrighton Mon 22-May-17 21:32:31

I was told that I could have continued with sertraline when I spoke to consultant at 12 week scan, having just weaned myself off it after seeing GP about 8 weeks. I was ok moodwise then.

I'm just starting to wonder now, at 34 weeks tomorrow, if perhaps I need to discuss it again. Although it might just be I'm tired after a couple of bad nights so got stupidly upset about finding mowing the lawn hard (ad yeah, maybe have unrealistic expectations). Midwife tomorrow so I'll chat with her.

I am in no way thinking I am now medfree for life, but it's been nice for 6 months to be able to be. And know the option is there and supported if needed

Dede124 Tue 23-May-17 12:47:32

Aw I know what you mean @arbrighton it's hard to tell with tiredness and mood swings and everything else, hope it all goes well with midwife today.

arbrighton Tue 23-May-17 13:13:11

Feel quite a bit better having had a better night's sleep but will mention it

Although whether it's a midwife I've met before or yet another different one, who knows

Dede124 Tue 23-May-17 17:02:26

I just spoke to my regular midwife and she she's booked an appointment for me to see her next Thursday she suggested I start sertraline? Not too sure about it But I need to book a doctors appointment to get a prescription at some point this week!

feelingblue123 Wed 24-May-17 09:16:50

Hey, I'm 19 weeks and I've been depressed throughout my pregnancy. If you want to chat feel free to message me flowers xx

Dede124 Wed 24-May-17 12:12:41

@feelingblue123. How do you message on here? I didn't know you could do that biscuitxx

feelingblue123 Wed 24-May-17 12:39:44

Press the three dots then select PM xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now