Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta over birth canal

(21 Posts)
Expecting2017 Sat 20-May-17 00:26:40

So I had my 12 week scan today and they said my placenta is over my birth canal and definitely won't move by 20 weeks so I will have to have another scan at 34 weeks and possibly 36 weeks if still not moved then a caesarian.

Can anyone else tell me stories that have been in similar positions? Did your placenta move in time? If so when? If not when did they book you for a caesarian and how was it and recovery? Could I ever have a natural birth with a possible second child if I had caesarian first time round?

Expecting2017 Sat 20-May-17 00:29:53

Also did it affect you feeling the baby kick?

CaptainWarbeck Sat 20-May-17 00:32:19

Not exactly the same but my placenta was low lying at the 20 week scan (close to birth canal) and I had another scan at 34 weeks to check it had moved. It was 7cm away then so was fine. Not sure if it's different with the placenta actually covering the cervix though?

Expecting2017 Sat 20-May-17 00:37:29

Thank you. The sonographer said it can move but did discuss this could result in caesarian and wanted to warn me. Which from what I can see on the Internet if they find it at 12 weeks they don't usually mention it if it's partially over as it normally moves but fully over they will mention as it could lead to caesarian. I'm a ftm and really hoping for a natural delivery hut of course I will do whatever is safest for me and baby. Was just hoping for some experiences. So thank you captain x

calimommy Sat 20-May-17 03:44:35

Well it helps to understand how the placenta 'moves': the placenta attaches to the wall of the uterus, at any point, and embeds its self into it, forming blood vessels to carry blood to and from baby. As the uterus grows larger the placenta 'moves' because the uterus is essentially carrying it along with it. It never actually moves position because if it came away from the wall then the blood connection is lost. This is a placental abruption and can be very dangerous for baby and mother. So if your placenta has attached to the opening of your uterus or cervix, then it is essentially 'blocking the exit'. It's called placenta previa. And when you start to contract during labour the placenta can become abrupted at this point. It is important that those women don't go into labour but are sectioned before labour can start because of the risk of haemorrhage. I don't know if yours is actually covering the cervix or if it is extremely close, but if it is covering it then you will be on pelvic rest and be monitored in case of any bleeds. This is my third pregnancy and at my 22 wk scan my placenta was 1.5 cm from my cervix but it will more than likely have 'moved' by my next scan because the uterus will have grown and stretched.
Did they give you any instructions about pelvic rest? Or use the term placenta previa? If not then the placenta is likely very close to the cervix but not completely covering it. X

BabyHamster Sat 20-May-17 04:01:11

I had low lying placenta, where the placenta is very close to the cervix but not covering it. It was borderline even at 36 weeks (my final scan, which was internal as that gives the most accurate measurements) but ultimately it was just far enough away that I wasn't recommended to have a c section and had a natural birth instead.

My understanding is that it can move a great deal from 12 weeks so you might be totally fine. You should have an idea by the 20 week scan of how much it's moving.

Is it only the sonographer you've spoken to so far? I found mine a bit blunt, I remember he said "oh you might need a c section" but he couldn't explain any of the details or nuances. Definitely talk this through with your midwife next time you see them and request to speak to a consultant if you're still not clear. As a PP said, small differences in the position can be important and as well as explaining what happens at delivery they should give you info on whether you should be on pelvic rest etc.

BabyHamster Sat 20-May-17 04:03:38

Oh and to answer your other questions, you'd definitely still feel the baby kick with a low placenta. And although I didn't have a c section myself in the end I know from other people it's very possible to have a c section first time round and a natural birth the second time.

RaeSkywalker Sat 20-May-17 05:04:44

I had this too (low lying though, not placenta previa). I had a scan at 34 weeks and it had moved.

I know an obstetrician, and he said that he reckons that over 90% of low lying placentas do move. He also told me that, if my 34 week scan showed that there was still an issue, they would scan me later to give it more time to move before confirming a c-section.

RaeSkywalker Sat 20-May-17 05:05:19

And you can absolutely feel the baby kicking 😊

LuchiMangsho Sat 20-May-17 05:31:26

If it is fully covering the cervix you have Grade 4 Placenta Previa (I have had Grades 1 and 4). No sex at all. And no heavy lifting and exercise. If it stays there which is likely with a Grade 4 you will have a C section. I have had two. And yes, you can aim for a natural birth second time around.

Youvegotafriendinme Sat 20-May-17 05:45:23

I had full previa and was put on full bed rest from 31 weeks. If it hasn't moved at all from 20-32 week scan it is highly unlikely to do so, even though they say there is a small possibility. Caesarean was booked in at 34 weeks, son came by EMCS at 35 weeks. You can have a natural birth after having a caesarean as the chances of previa happening again are around 3-7%. What I wasn't told was how dangerous it is. Your placenta is covering your cervix therefore you are highly likely to bleed and they will be often and heavy. I wasn't told any of this until my 3rd bad bleed at 33 weeks.

I would ask to speak with a senior midwife or consultant if possible to sit and explain it to you. I was told at 20w in such a nonchalant way. I now know things could have been quite different.

Expecting2017 Sat 20-May-17 07:47:30

Thank you everyone. My sonographer was lovely and she showed me and yes it was covering the whole of the exit route. I just said okay as I didn't know it was a bad thing. And she said first baby? I said yes. She said okay and then explained it won't have moved by 20 weeks definitely not but I'll have to have more scans at 34 and then 36 and if still not moved then a caesarian. Thats pretty much all she said. She asked if I was open to a caesarian which of course I am if it's the safest option and she said yes this would be the safest option. She didn't fuse placenta previa. Maybe because I didn't understand that a placenta covering your cervix was dangerous though blush but I obviously went home an d researched, but the way she said it sounded like it was likely it would move in her tone or maybe she didn't want to upset or worry me there and would let my midwife explain. sad there was no mention of not sex etc and I've ha do bleeds as of yet but I read online it is usually further alone that you're put in pelvic rest and bed rest and have the bleeds. I'm 12+6. Hoping midwife can shed more light on it at my 16 week check. Thanks all

LuchiMangsho Sat 20-May-17 08:41:22

Ok I am not going to scare you but I had repeated bleeds from 19 weeks onwards and ended up being hospitalised repeatedly. I did have a premature baby but that wasn't related to the PP.

Youvegotafriendinme Sat 20-May-17 09:53:44

The sonographer didn't explain to me the severity of it either. Once I got to 31 weeks I had bled after bled and was constantly hospitalised. You are right in that the problems usually occur later on in the pregnancy. Please speak with your midwife

RaeSkywalker Sat 20-May-17 09:54:18

Do you have a midwife helpline? Call them and ask them to check your notes?

mightymouse76 Sat 20-May-17 10:46:09

Hi expecting, I've got a ten day old in my arms following a preavia pregnancy and a section delivery.

It's really early days for you so try not to worry about it-as other posters have mentioned it can move a lot even after 20 weeks. I had a couple of bleeds but nothing significant until two days before my booked section, and I wasn't put on bed rest ( I was told it the bleeds weren't activity related although sex was advised against). In fact I was working until 4 days before... all it meant was I had a course of steroids at 35 weeks (1st bleed) in case he had to be delivered a bit early, and the second bleed meant early admission prior to section, just in case they had to move it forward.

I was given the choice of section or wait and see at 34 weeks, but this was affected by other factors (breech, Gestational diabetes), so we were never going to be allowed past 38 weeks.

The section was fine and although I'm pretty fragile physically, I've had no problems with bond and milk arriving.

As for baby kicks, I was beaten up from the inside daily smile so no worries there

Try not to think about it for a while, at least until a later scan (you may get one at 28 weeks) ... so much can change between now and then.
Good luck flowers

Whymeagain1 Sat 20-May-17 11:47:40

Hi OP, I've just had my anomaly scan at 20 weeks with a consultant (due to high NT) although thankfully all looks well with the baby he did say I have a low anterior placenta. He said no sex as it can cause bleeding and I have another scan at 32 weeks to check growth.

He also said if it hasn't moved at the next scan then it will be c section, but that's my preference after two difficult previous deliveries. He didn't seem unduly concerned. My notes don't say placenta previa, only low anterior placenta, so not sure to what extent mines over the cervix. I have had later movement than my last pregnancy, only since about 18 weeks, I mentioned this to the consultant and he said that it was still early days and wouldn't expect much yet, even though it's my fourth pregnancy, so that was reassuring.

I'm at the midwife on Monday so I'll ask her about it as like you I hadn't realised the possible implications until I Googled (the consultant had told me off about getting a second opinion from Dr Google about other things, I should have listened!) Its helpful to read other posters experiences.

Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy flowers

LuchiMangsho Sat 20-May-17 16:40:05

You don't get a formal diagnosis of placenta praevia till 20 weeks. That is because the vast majorities of placentas do move. The ones that don't tend to be the ones fully covering the cervix.

Expecting2017 Sat 20-May-17 18:29:06

Yes luchi and mine is fully covering my cervix. She also showed me. Thank you everyone for your comments x

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 21-May-17 09:43:55

You should be seeing a consultant if it's still there at 20 weeks.
Mine was low but not covering but for some reason I had some bleeds towards the end and had DS by emcs at 35 weeks. They had insisted one day before that natural birth was a possibility so it's quite an unpredictable condition.
He's fine now and is nearly 3 and hiding in the wardrobe grin
I had an elcs with mu second pregnancy but they wouldn't been happy of I'd chosen to vbac.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 21-May-17 09:44:32

Sorry they would have been happy for me to have a vbac. I didn't want to though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now