Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vit D drops for breastfed newborns - which ones?

(21 Posts)
sockgate Fri 19-May-17 18:51:54

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions... you can tell I'm on mat leave and worrying about everything we haven't done!

The NHS website recommends vit d drops for newborns if they are breastfed, and I'm hoping to breastfeed. I had a look in Holland and Barrett and Boots and most of them seem to say 'from 4 months'. Has anyone else given drops from birth? If so, which ones? My midwife was clueless.

bettybigpotato Fri 19-May-17 19:03:00

You'll get them for free from the health visitor. Tablets for you and drops for baby.

troodiedoo Fri 19-May-17 19:04:42

I didn't get any. Do I need them? confused

Yorke00 Fri 19-May-17 19:05:30

We got ours from Holland and Barrett, they were 0-12 months.

bettybigpotato Fri 19-May-17 19:11:30

They are recommended. Children's centres should give them out too

Frizziee Fri 19-May-17 19:13:58

It's coming into the summer, 10mins-15mins outside with no sun cream (even on a cloudy day) will do far more good than any tablet.

Floweroct2 Fri 19-May-17 19:14:17

We use abidec ones, we didn't use from birth as guidance was different then but fairly certain they can be used from birth

bettybigpotato Fri 19-May-17 19:27:09

Maybe free drops are dependent on the NHS trust. I seemed to have everyone trying to give me free vitamins following my DS birth in December.

namechange20050 Fri 19-May-17 19:32:54

Is this a new thing? My baby is now nearly 2 and I was told vit d drops from 6 months.

UnmentionedElephantDildo Fri 19-May-17 19:39:28

Abidec

Guidelines have changed since I had an infant, though

BentleyBelly Fri 19-May-17 19:41:37

Must be new...was from 6 months with my first. We gave her Abidec (3 for £10 in Asda) and I guess we'll start the baby when it arrives with them too if that's the latest guidelines. No free vits for us here.

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 19-May-17 19:46:56

I was told this too for DD2. Wasn't a thing with DD1 3 years ago. All the ones I can find say from 4 or 6 months, even the ones from children's centre. I dont get them free as we aren't on benefits, but they are subsidised from children's centre.

bettybigpotato Fri 19-May-17 19:50:12

Mine weren't benefit dependent. We are in quite a deprived area which may make a difference.

GloriaV Fri 19-May-17 19:56:50

If you take baby outside without too much covering them up ie bare arms and head but not in direct sunshine, then they will surely get enough sun to make their own Vit D.
Lots of people never go outside these days and end up deficient.
I just googled and Laleche website says :-
Exclusively breastfed healthy, full-term infants from birth to six months who have adequate exposure to sunlight are not at risk for developing vitamin D deficiency or rickets. Rickets occurs because of a deficiency in sunlight exposure, not because of a deficiency in human milk

Phalarope Fri 19-May-17 19:59:40

If you can get the Sure Start ones (either from the children's centre or they stock them in our local Superdrug) then use them - they are measured out by drops so have found them far easier than the tiny syringes most of the brands use. Plus a lot of the brands seem to have much less vit D than the guidance suggests.

sockgate Fri 19-May-17 21:21:26

Thank you all. Yes, I think it is a fairly new recommendation, but we have some bone issues that run in our family so I'm keen to follow it. Phalarope that's a great tip, thank you!

Theducksarenotmyfriends Fri 19-May-17 21:29:41

Don't they get enough vitamin d through the breast milk if the mother takes vit d tablets?

firsttimemum15 Fri 19-May-17 21:35:30

Abidec stain and smell beefy my lo takes ones from the sure start/primary care.
Theyve gone up to £2.10 at last purchase. They stadted at £1.20 the abidec ones etc were 6quid odd.

BlueSunGreenMoon Fri 19-May-17 21:37:15

In my area and maybe others you can get free drops at the health centre and children's centre. And I've seen the same ones for sale in super drug (much cheaper than branded).

BlueSunGreenMoon Fri 19-May-17 21:38:48

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get them free from the chemist too. I think some are signed up to a scheme. So maybe ask on your local one.

Kiwi32 Fri 19-May-17 21:42:44

If you're exclusively breastfeeding and you take a high-dose vitamin D (6400 IU/day) then no need to supplement until you start weaning/mix feeding. It's new advice as so many people are deficient in the UK that they can't be certain breastmilk will contain high enough levels.

Reference here if anyone's interested smile
pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2015/09/22/peds.2015-1669.full.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now